Sign in to follow this  
Ladybugzzz86

Anyone ever try this? $$$

So since we had a medical procedure done and adequate protein intake is essential, has anyone had a doctor write them a prescription for protein powder so insurance can cover a portion of it? 

I know they will sometimes cover BeneProtein powder for people with permanent gastric tubes. Thoughts? Queries? Suggestions? Dill pickle popcorn?

Edited by Ladybugzzz86

My policy specifically states that they won't cover any type of nutrition at all. How great it would be if they did though!

Hmm interesting i think i am going to look into this. When i do eventually have my revision surgery my surgeon is planning on going ahead and placing a g tube at the same time because of my struggle with severe malnutrition so i wonder if that would qualify me? It wouldnt be a bad thing 

On 13/01/2018 at 10:52 PM, ktallon said:

Hmm interesting i think i am going to look into this. When i do eventually have my revision surgery my surgeon is planning on going ahead and placing a g tube at the same time because of my struggle with severe malnutrition so i wonder if that would qualify me? It wouldnt be a bad thing 

I cant see why you wouldn't! Canada might be a little different in that regard I am not to sure. But worth looking into! The more money that stays in Your pocket the better I think. These items are not cheap! But yes, I do realize they end up bring much cheaper than my past pizza binges, but still lol :P

My insurance wouldn’t pay for my surgery, much less protein powder. LOLOL *SOB*

I’d be into dill pickle popcorn!

1 hour ago, NerdyToothpick said:

My insurance wouldn’t pay for my surgery, much less protein powder. LOLOL *SOB*

I’d be into dill pickle popcorn!

Not a chance here in Australia either. If something doesn't have a Medicare number (ie a certain level of govt rebate) then private health insurance won't pay either! That's how in this country they get away with not covering plastics for the majority. Ktallon's situation is different and her tube supplements would likely be delivered free to her front door. The govt pays 100% of the cost for prescribed total nutrition products delivered into the body by means other than orally.

My son who is autistic was FTT (failure to thrive) and we have great insurance, but they didn't cover all the supplements we needed for him (gallons of pediasure)

It probably won't work. I work in an endocrinologist's office and I do prior auths. I've only seen it go through for people on feeding tubes. Doesn't hurt to try if your doc is willing to do the extra paperwork, but it's a long shot. Insurance wants to see a medical justification, and technically we can meet our protein needs with regular food - powders and shakes make it easier, but they aren't medically required, so insurance won't pay.

1 hour ago, JustErica said:

It probably won't work. I work in an endocrinologist's office and I do prior auths. I've only seen it go through for people on feeding tubes. Doesn't hurt to try if your doc is willing to do the extra paperwork, but it's a long shot. Insurance wants to see a medical justification, and technically we can meet our protein needs with regular food - powders and shakes make it easier, but they aren't medically required, so insurance won't pay.

Perhaps the medical justification for @ktallon is the failure of solely oral to work for her. Worth a shot to discuss ahead of time. 

My clinic will write a prescription if you request it. My insurance will cover 50%, but I'd have to submit monthly receipts and get reimbursement and overall the hassle isn't worth it for a few bucks back each month. 

I wonder about flexible spending accounts?  I know mine will reimburse for OTC meds so maybe protein shakes?  I'm probably won't check into it though, not fond of the paperwork hassle it would be :)

On 1/16/2018 at 10:22 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

Perhaps the medical justification for @ktallon is the failure of solely oral to work for her. Worth a shot to discuss ahead of time. 

My response was for the OP, @ktallon said she is getting a tube so I imagine it might work for her, though I'm not sure about the powder. the shakes are actually administered through the tube and that's why they get covered, or at least that's what the responses we get back have said. I've never submitted one for powder. 

Very interesting indeed, tyvm. As where I am currently on disability ( hoping that will change over the next year thanks to my new little sleevie lol) I try to save wherever I can right now...