Sign in to follow this  
Cardamom77

Body for Life/Strength training

So back in the early 2000's (around 2002 or so), a relative gave me the Bill Phillips Body for Life book. Not in a crappy way, but in a "this has been working for me and we've been talking a lot about working out, so I thought you might like it" way. Anyway, it's got a REAAAAAAAALLY smarmy motivational tone and is partly a promotion for EAS supplements, but the basic gist of it is solid. I used to follow the plan back then, for about 6 months, and did really well. Then we moved across the country and I kind of fell off the wagon. But I recently ordered a used copy of the 1999 book (haha!) off Amazon and skipped the smarm and went straight to the "here's how you do the thing" section with the charts and worksheets and whatnot. I'm starting it Monday. 

I was wondering if anyone else had done a lot of strength training, because that's what this is. I know that a lot of WLS exercise stuff seems to be focused on cardio - especially with women - and I find that I get incredibly bored with just doing cardio. Also, I'm not just focused on losing weight full stop. I had WLS to improve my mobility, so I feel like I should work on building up my muscle strength and work on that proactively.

I do well getting all my protein in, though I'm still working on hydration. This plan usually encourages complex carbs for fuel, so I may add some more beans into my diet. I think I'll do ok on it with my current diet, but I can't find any info on it in conjunction with WLS, so I'm a little nervous about that and I'll definitely talk to my nutritionist about it eventually. My guess is that they'll just be pretty excited that I'm working out regularly, though. Haha! 

So who focuses on strength training? Anything I should know?

Edited by Cardamom77

I actually just watched this video and posted it in another thread. You may enjoy it as well.

On 1/13/2018 at 9:41 AM, Cardamom77 said:

So back in the early 2000's (around 2002 or so), a relative gave me the Bill Phillips Body for Life book. Not in a crappy way, but in a "this has been working for me and we've been talking a lot about working out, so I thought you might like it" way. Anyway, it's got a REAAAAAAAALLY smarmy motivational tone and is partly a promotion for EAS supplements, but the basic gist of it is solid. I used to follow the plan back then, for about 6 months, and did really well. Then we moved across the country and I kind of fell off the wagon. But I recently ordered a used copy of the 1999 book (haha!) off Amazon and skipped the smarm and went straight to the "here's how you do the thing" section with the charts and worksheets and whatnot. I'm starting it Monday. 

I was wondering if anyone else had done a lot of strength training, because that's what this is. I know that a lot of WLS exercise stuff seems to be focused on cardio - especially with women - and I find that I get incredibly bored with just doing cardio. Also, I'm not just focused on losing weight full stop. I had WLS to improve my mobility, so I feel like I should work on building up my muscle strength and work on that proactively.

I do well getting all my protein in, though I'm still working on hydration. This plan usually encourages complex carbs for fuel, so I may add some more beans into my diet. I think I'll do ok on it with my current diet, but I can't find any info on it in conjunction with WLS, so I'm a little nervous about that and I'll definitely talk to my nutritionist about it eventually. My guess is that they'll just be pretty excited that I'm working out regularly, though. Haha! 

So who focuses on strength training? Anything I should know?

I have focused on strength training for 10+ years. For me, a combination of cardio and strength training helped me get to goal fairly quick and helps keep me from gaining. I don't lift to add muscle at this point, it is more to maintain what I have and if I get a little stronger, that is great. I use weights and weight machines for my arms, shoulders, back and legs. But I do squats and ab work without machines. I also do a lot of planks. I started taking Pilates a few years ago and it is excellent for building core strength. 

From 2001 - 2007 I mainly walked and did the elliptical machine for exercise. I would do an hour on the elliptical 3 - 4 times a week. I became so bored with that machine I now hate it. I get bored easily and to prevent that kind of burn out again, most of my workouts are a combo of cardio and strength training. I toggle back and forth between the two for an hour and at the end I tend to be worn out so for me, that is a good workout. 

I did not add carbs to my diet while I was losing to offset my workouts. I stuck to plan and figured if my body needed more fuel, it would tell me. Once, after a really hard workout, I felt lightheaded so I ate a protein bar and then I was fine. I was working with a trainer at the time and had been working with her for years. I did not tell her I had WLS. She'd been a body builder and a competitive skier when she was younger so any time she tried to talk nutrition to me, she would tell me I needed all kinds of things I didn't need. She is a fan of 35% of your calories coming from carbs. I knew her plan/advice wouldn't work for me.  My experience has been that trainers, nutritionists, gym rats, etc don't really get that what seems to work for most bodies, doesn't work for WLS bodies. 

@Cardamom77, I also did that program and LOVED it! (especially the cheat day....haha!) But I lost weight on and it and seriously toned up!  Then my DH did it w/ me on the next round and we went off to Mexico for our 25th anniv all toned and feeling good about ourselves.  When I got back, I never got back into the groove of BFL, but I knew I'd gain it back so I went and joined Curves.  I did ok but it wasn't the same as the BFL program.  I loved the HIIT for only 20 mins! (I do cardio but hate it especially if it is long!) and I loved the upper body/lower body on alternative days too!    Once you get more muscle built, your metabolism increases so it is a win-win!  I wish you luck!!!  Keep us posted on how it is going for you!

On 1/13/2018 at 9:29 PM, Readytobeme said:

I actually just watched this video and posted it in another thread. You may enjoy it as well.

Thanks! The beginning made me crack up! 

This is such a great video, though. Really - thanks so much. It really speaks to what I'm feeling right now about my body, too. It also speaks to the idea of "punishment." I have all these brain weasels about the moral judgment tied up in obesity. But that's another thread.... ;)

On 1/17/2018 at 8:33 AM, Cardamom77 said:

Thanks! The beginning made me crack up! 

This is such a great video, though. Really - thanks so much. It really speaks to what I'm feeling right now about my body, too. It also speaks to the idea of "punishment." I have all these brain weasels about the moral judgment tied up in obesity. But that's another thread.... ;)

I got a huge kick out of it as well. This guy is hilarious and a surgeon that I would not mind having. Also glad to know that someone else here as a sense of humor as warped as mine is. :lol:

On 1/13/2018 at 10:29 PM, Readytobeme said:

VERY interesting!  I worked at a gym for 10 yrs and I have been debating about working out myself! I "know" I need to (says my fat brain) but my training and thinking was "how am I going to get enough calories to give me the energy to work out" and "will I need EXTRA protein to rebuild the muscles that I tear down? because clearly I can't get any more in than I am in my few calories!!!"  He gave a lot to think about....and yet I kept wondering "is he old enough to have done so many WLS?!?!" haha!  i am watching some of his other videos now.