Sign in to follow this  
GaryinJacksonville

Just some Observations/Experiences

I am almost at my 6 weeks since surgery. I've had three episodes of near upchucking due to one too many bites. ;o)  I find that I get full very fast when I eat meat. Then, I ran out of the Prilosec the Doc prescribed and thought phooey, I don't need it since I experienced no issues with heartburn. And then I did...so a refill was picked up and I'm back on it.

I've also resumed regular coffee (or people may die..hahaha) ;o)  I'm so used to making a lot of food and my freezer is filling up fast.

I am not going back to diet sodas, although I miss my diet Dew. Drinking a lot of Crystal Light type of stuff, unsweet tea and diet tea.

51 lbs down so far...oh, I almost forgot. I tried a salad, which I was craving since I had surgery....man, the effects!! Think I'm good to not having salad again for a while. hahaha

Any pointers, tips or advice will be well received!!

Gary

So nice to hear how well you're doing! Are you feeling pretty good overall? Your weight loss is great!

Congrats on your weight loss!  What you describe experiencing so far with food is similar to what I experienced. 

One tip that helped me...I was eager to eliminate the protein shakes from my diet and just get my protein from regular foods so I was kind of pushing that.  At a support group everyone was talking about struggles with meat and the leader shared that even though she is 13 years out, she does not rely on meat sources to get her protein in.  She eats dairy, cottage cheese and yogurt primarily, and then supplements with protein shakes, maybe one a day.  She does eat meat but because she still gets full so quickly with it, she just considers whatever she is able to consume bonus protein for the day.  She said relying on the meat for her protein puts too much pressure on her to get through those meals.  That made a lot of sense to me and so I've adopted that thinking for the past few months and it has really helped.  I don't have a protein shake every day, but I do if I'm going out to eat later that day as those are the more unpredictable meals for me, sometimes they work and sometimes I fill up after two bites.

Good luck with your continued success!

7 hours ago, kayak19 said:

Congrats on your weight loss!  What you describe experiencing so far with food is similar to what I experienced. 

One tip that helped me...I was eager to eliminate the protein shakes from my diet and just get my protein from regular foods so I was kind of pushing that.  At a support group everyone was talking about struggles with meat and the leader shared that even though she is 13 years out, she does not rely on meat sources to get her protein in.  She eats dairy, cottage cheese and yogurt primarily, and then supplements with protein shakes, maybe one a day.  She does eat meat but because she still gets full so quickly with it, she just considers whatever she is able to consume bonus protein for the day.  She said relying on the meat for her protein puts too much pressure on her to get through those meals.  That made a lot of sense to me and so I've adopted that thinking for the past few months and it has really helped.  I don't have a protein shake every day, but I do if I'm going out to eat later that day as those are the more unpredictable meals for me, sometimes they work and sometimes I fill up after two bites.

This is super good advice, and it's what's helping me get my protein in, too.  Without one shake a day and cheese/yogurt/cottage cheese, I wouldn't make my goals.  I can get in 4 oz of soft proteins like those in a meal, but generally only two of dense protein/meat - not enough to keep me going without eating like six times a day. 

I eat meat because I LIKE meat, but like @kayak19 I eat it as a bonus, not a main source of protein.  For reference I'm now 4 months out from surgery.

16 hours ago, Gretta said:

So nice to hear how well you're doing! Are you feeling pretty good overall? Your weight loss is great!

I am feeling fine. I haven't had any bad days so I consider myself lucky. I had to walk down 6 flights of stairs a few days ago due to elevators being out and BOY are my leg muscles sore!!! ;o)  Looking forward to getting in the gym and getting strong again.

9 hours ago, kayak19 said:

I never really thought of it like that...meat replacing protein shakes. I just love meat!! hahaha  I still drink the shakes and just bought my first jug of protein powder to make my own.

The first 6 months are a learning adventure!  Definately listen to your belly as it sends out sognals..