Sign in to follow this  
Readytobeme

Once Per Day Bariatric Vitamins

I have seen people ask about a bariatric vitamin that can be taken once per day after surgery. These are what I will be using along with calcium citrate if anyone is looking for one. Not to mention that the price is great.

https://www.unjury.com/opurity-bypass-sleeve-optimized-chewable-new-formulation.html

Unlike other multivitamins for BYPASS & SLEEVE Patients, OPURITY multivitamins are once-per-day.

You only need to take one tablet per day. Research shows that patients are more likely to get their recommended vitamins if they only have to take them once per day.

Edited by Readytobeme

I think they are more likely to TAKE their recommended vitamins if they are once per day. My program requires breaking up the dosage into two increments (particularly in the first year), saying we simply can't absorb that much at once. And that taking it all at once just makes us have really expensive urine. Ha ha. Each to their own. Taking your vitamins (all at once or split up) is much better than skipping them.

Edited by Gretta

1 hour ago, Gretta said:

I think they are more likely to TAKE their recommended vitamins if they are once per day. My program requires breaking up the dosage into two increments (particularly in the first year), saying we simply can't absorb that much at once. And that taking it all at once just makes us have really expensive urine. Ha ha. Each to their own. Taking your vitamins (all at once or split up) is much better than skipping them.

This. I have to take mine twice a day for maximum absorption. In fact I'm now taking calcium citrate three times a day as the maximum we can get from one dose is 500mg and bypass patients from my surgeon are required to take 1500 mg daily.

8 hours ago, Gretta said:

Yes. This is true. I may start out taking 1/2 twice per day. I do like the fact that they are chewable and contain all that we need. I don't have instructions from my team yet. I only asked if these were acceptable vitamins for my program. We don't get the full list until we participate in the Optifast program during the last few weeks.

Only reason I shared this info here is because I have seen others ask about a once a day many times. I thought that it may be helpful to some. It would be MUCH better to take one then to take none. To each their own is correct though. I agree with that statement.

Edited by Readytobeme

First, thanks to this thread I remembered to take my morning calcium \o/.

I take mine a one-a-day bariatric vitamin, and my levels are so-far-so-good.  Actually a little high on my B12 but that's because I get it in vitamin form plus an injection every six weeks.

My nutritionist actually told me I could reduce my calcium intake since I'm getting so much of my protein from dairy... has anyone else been told that?  Just from three times a day down to two; I'm easily getting 500 mg a day from dairy.

16 minutes ago, Kio said:

My nutritionist actually told me I could reduce my calcium intake since I'm getting so much of my protein from dairy... has anyone else been told that?  Just from three times a day down to two; I'm easily getting 500 mg a day from dairy.

Kio,

It's worth pointing out that calcium absorption from milk and other dairy products is about 32% (calcium absorption from vegetables ranges from about 5% in spinach to more than 60% in some brassica vegetables such as broccoli. However, the high bioavailability of calcium from some vegetables cannot overcome their low calcium content).

There are many good articles on how much calcium from food we actually absorb so it's worth spending a little time on research.  https://milk.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000817  

Before you cut back on your calcium supplements, do your homework and ask to have a DEXA bone density test to check your bone health.

33 minutes ago, cinwa said:

Kio,

It's worth pointing out that calcium absorption from milk and other dairy products is about 32% (calcium absorption from vegetables ranges from about 5% in spinach to more than 60% in some brassica vegetables such as broccoli. However, the high bioavailability of calcium from some vegetables cannot overcome their low calcium content).

There are many good articles on how much calcium from food we actually absorb so it's worth spending a little time on research.  https://milk.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000817  

Before you cut back on your calcium supplements, do your homework and ask to have a DEXA bone density test to check your bone health.

I definitely took that advice with a grain of salt - I remember the thread on whether we're getting as much calcium as we think!  I keep seeing the sign about DEXA scans at my PCP's office, so I think I'm going to get one, just so I know where I am with it.  :) 

34 minutes ago, Kio said:

I definitely took that advice with a grain of salt - I remember the thread on whether we're getting as much calcium as we think!  I keep seeing the sign about DEXA scans at my PCP's office, so I think I'm going to get one, just so I know where I am with it.  :) 

That's good to hear.  Just remember, blood work will only show the calcium in your blood, not what's stored in your bones.  That's why we all (men too) need regular DEXA scans.

And just to reinforce that advice, my last blood work showed my calcium level to be on the high side at 10.6 (the reference range is 8.4-10.2 mg/dL) but the bottom line is, my bone density took a huge nosedive after I had my WLS and I now have osteopenia (bone density that is lower than normal peak density but not low enough to be classified as osteoporosis).  I would seem that post-WLS, my body doesn't make new bone as quickly as it reabsorbs old bone.

7 hours ago, Kio said:

First, thanks to this thread I remembered to take my morning calcium \o/.

I take mine a one-a-day bariatric vitamin, and my levels are so-far-so-good.  Actually a little high on my B12 but that's because I get it in vitamin form plus an injection every six weeks.

Glad I was able to remind you to take your calcium lol  I also plan to take B12 injections. Really, thinking on this further I am good with taking one a day on the multi if that what my plan recommends. They will be keeping an eye on my bloodwork and will know if I have any problems absorbing or become deficient in any area.

At 30 cents per day I will not be terribly upset if some makes it's way down the toilette lol

I am probably going to have Dexa scan pre op. My mom has osteoporosis and my Dr already keeps an eye on my calcium levels. Right now I take 5000 iu of D3 as ordered by my Dr. My calcium levels are good but cinwa does make some good points.

I know that I will have a full class on vitamins and absorbing them during my 4 week Optifast classes. A few people already on Optifast were talking about it yesterday and said that a lot of info was covered. Such as the need for copper in order to absorb magnesium.

I already take a supplement that helps me absorb vitamins/ minerals better. I plan to continue with it and any others that are recommended by my bariatric surgery team.