Sign in to follow this  
CheeringCJ

My LAST surgeon's appt for a while is tomorrow....any questions I should ask???

Our medical insurance is ending 1/31/18, so I scheduled my 3 month check up early and it is tomorrow....I have no idea when i will get back to the drs again since there is no prospect of jobs w/ insurance on our horizon, so this is it for a while (tho honestly I don't think I would go back until 6 months post surg which would be May 2018) but what questions do you think I should ask for the long term?  (since I won't be back)

- How the rest of your food progression should go (assuming you arent already on last stage?)

- When you are cleared for weight lifting or other more intense exercises

- If he or his staff have any general advice on navigating the post-op no-insurance waters. For example here, I can MyChart (like email sending) my doc and nutritionist to my hearts content with general questions, and there is no charge. 

I see mine for my two month, and then not again until month 6, so I think its pretty normal to not see them repeatedly in between, but your mileage may vary :D 

I see my surgeon at a minimum three monthly, and to be honest all we do is chat about how I'm feeling while he checks my blood test results. I have bloods drawn a week prior to seeing him. I'm on a schedule of 3 monthly blood tests for the first two years, 6 monthly after that for the rest of my life. There will also be a DEXA scan thrown in at about the 12 month mark. In your situation I'd be asking what kind of test schedule you should be on so that your everyday doctor can run these tests and monitor both your progress and your nutritional status. I'd also be asking about any potential post-op symptoms that need your surgeon's attention rather than your family doctor.

Definately ask what labs you will need in the future..ask about foods; when you can have fresh fruits and veg for example.  

Thanks for your help....up I did go and asked the questions (thanks). He doesn't order labs until three months out but he ordered them for me be I was not going to have insurance next month. He said my incision is fine (it hasn't bled since 12/23) and he said it looks great. He saw the clot and bruise from my blood thinners and he said that will go away in time and the clot in my hand from the iv will get better but take longer.

He told me that their protocol is that if you stall for more than two weeks int eh first three months to call them and after three months it's more than three weeks. At that point they evaluate your diet and if that is still good they recommend change in exercise. He also said cardio is fine for me now, but weight loss slows down in a few months, they recommend resistance training, especially upper body which is usually inefficient in his patients.

He is going to try next month to wean me off of Prtonix (for GERD) and just have me take tums if I get heartburn, but if I take tums more than twice in a week I go back on the protonix since "one out of every seven sleeve petite needs to stay on acid blockers long term"

Other than that, he was awestruck with my progress!!!  (To which I reminded him I told him at surgery that I'd be his best patient!). He plugged my stats into his computer and looked generally surprised and elated at the same time as he just said "wow!"   He was thrilled I had lost over 35% of my excess weight in two months!!!  He said he sees good results but not THAT good (I credit my support from you super losers....and my competitive spirit to keep up with you all!). He didn't worry at all about my ability to reach the 60% of my excess...to which I said, I AM going past that (and he believed me!). He was thrilled with my diet and my protein/water intake. All in all it was a great visit. 

He said the six month visit is mostly just talking, as opposed to examination, so if I don't have insurance in three months to call him and we can talk over the phone that way he can still follow me but I won't have to pay. 

Oh and I was a little nervous that the scale wouldn't reflect what mine does, but mine says 199.6 in the am in the buff, but there in the middle of the afternoon, and dressed, I was 200!  So I was pleased....and on his scales I was down 41.5!

i walked out feeling awesome!!!  

I'm so glad the appointment was a success! I really like how he's willing to do a phone appointment in a few months. Splendid!

Here's another thing he told me to do.  I told him when I drink I get slightly nauseated and very full or bloated feeling, then can't eat for a little while. He did say that is normal but not to feel like i could throw up (I don't).   He said it should improve. Later on when I was telling him about what I normally eat each day and how I drink my whole 30 oz cup all morning before lunch and then again before dinner and I pontes to my cup......and he said that is a huge straw!  I want you to downsize your straw. I never thought about it. My husband has thin stainless steel straws but I never liked how thin they were bc you don't get a lot to drink. I always loved the thick silicone straws Bc I can drink a lot!  Duh!  So I can home and switched straws and it literally makes me sip instead of gulp....problem solved!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by CheeringCJ

I have the same issue sometimes with fluids, and I was also using larger straws, so I'm happy to hear that! My problem was usually near the end of a protein drink when I think I was just desperate to get it down and out of the way, but sometimes with water/liquids also. I knew from my upper GI study that liquids run straight through, but man, it doesnt feel that way sometimes! I will use a smaller straw, too. 

Sounds like your doc is really supportive! I'm so glad. It sucks venturing forward without insurance but they sound ready to help you still, which is excellent! So proud of your progress!

Oh, darn. Not sure how I missed this post when it was posted.

So sorry about the loss of insurance, CJ. Here I am whining about things like the price going up and criteria changes with mine. It has to be a bit scary to go without.

Maybe you could get a decent plan through the healthcare exchange? I know a few people that have it through there. Decent insurance and good rates. I do hope that something pops up for you soon.

On 1/12/2018 at 9:42 PM, CheeringCJ said:

Here's another thing he told me to do.  I told him when I drink I get slightly nauseated and very full or bloated feeling, then can't eat for a little while. He did say that is normal but not to feel like i could throw up (I don't).   He said it should improve. Later on when I was telling him about what I normally eat each day and how I drink my whole 30 oz cup all morning before lunch and then again before dinner and I pontes to my cup......and he said that is a huge straw!  I want you to downsize your straw. I never thought about it. My husband has thin stainless steel straws but I never liked how thin they were bc you don't get a lot to drink. I always loved the thick silicone straws Bc I can drink a lot!  Duh!  So I can home and switched straws and it literally makes me sip instead of gulp....problem solved!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yikes!! That's one giant straw you were using! My surgeon says no straws, so I don't use them. But to be fair, I never used them pre op either...unless we went to dinner and I was drinking a club soda. I use water bottles only, about 99% of the time. I bet your tummy is thanking you for making the change :) 

1 hour ago, Nana Trish said:

Yikes!! That's one giant straw you were using! My surgeon says no straws, so I don't use them. But to be fair, I never used them pre op either...unless we went to dinner and I was drinking a club soda. I use water bottles only, about 99% of the time. I bet your tummy is thanking you for making the change :) 

I have always used straws and always have a big cup with me. I drink when I'm driving too, so I can't us water bottles since I want to keep my eyes on the road. :). I loved these silicone straws :(

And I drank my shake this am with the skinny straw but it made me nauseous.  I think it's because I blend it and maybe air gets added to it, so I'm going to try having protein (shake) ice cream for breakfast tomorrow. 

Edited by CheeringCJ

Just now, CheeringCJ said:

I have always used straws and always have a big cup with me. I drink when I'm driving too, so I can't us water bottles since I want to keep my eyes on the road. :). I loved these silicone straws :(

Land I drank my shake this am with the skinny straw but it made me nauseous.  I think it's because I blend it and maybe air gets added to it, so I'm going to try having protein (shake) ice cream for breakfast tomorrow. 

Aww, I'm sorry you can't keep using your straws. We have a bunch of those silicone straws here too...hubby drinks out of them all the time. I think swallowing excess air is the reason a lot of surgeon's don't like patients to use straws. But I've seen a lot of folks here say that they use straws and have no problems. 

Enjoy your protein ice cream! Lol :) 

18 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

Land I drank my shake this am with the skinny straw but it made me nauseous.  I think it's because I blend it and maybe air gets added to it, so I'm going to try having protein (shake) ice cream for breakfast tomorrow. 

Love the ice cream idea. I used to blend my shakes the night before, then swirl them around a bit before drinking them in the morning.

6 minutes ago, Gretta said:

Love the ice cream idea. I used to blend my shakes the night before, then swirl them around a bit before drinking them in the morning.

I thought about that but the thought of it separating kind of grosses me out (I haven't tried it so I don't "know" that is what will happen, it is just what I assume) and I don't know about the ice cream...it is super delicious right out of the icecream maker (like soft serve) but when I freeze it it gets really hard and I have to let it soften.  So my plan is to get it out of the freezer and leave it in the fridge until morning and see if that works.  I am off tomorrow so it will be a good time to try it, because if I was going to work, it would stink if it was too frozen! 

24 minutes ago, Nana Trish said:

Aww, I'm sorry you can't keep using your straws. We have a bunch of those silicone straws here too...hubby drinks out of them all the time. I think swallowing excess air is the reason a lot of surgeon's don't like patients to use straws. But I've seen a lot of folks here say that they use straws and have no problems. 

Enjoy your protein ice cream! Lol :) 

you know, I really will miss the straws and in the back of my mind, I think I will be able to use them again in the summer (or at least will try) or maybe by then I will have given up on the straws and not miss the attachment! ha!