Ilove2read2

How Soon After RNY Can We Have Small Pickles?

I mean the kind with very little or no sugar, like mini dill pickles or small cornichons? I am craving pickles very bad. I'm only 11 days out so still on protein shakes, water and Vitamin Water Zero. I know they have a slight crunch but figure taking small bites and really chewing, the pickles are pretty soft. Just wonder how vinegar would do on a new pouch. 

Your pouch is swollen I don't think that is a good idea. What if it got stuck ?  Just my opinion though. Sip the juice ?

1 hour ago, Ilove2read2 said:

I mean the kind with very little or no sugar, like mini dill pickles or small cornichons? I am craving pickles very bad. I'm only 11 days out so still on protein shakes, water and Vitamin Water Zero. I know they have a slight crunch but figure taking small bites and really chewing, the pickles are pretty soft. Just wonder how vinegar would do on a new pouch. 

I think @tracyringo's idea of drinking the juice is pretty good! Maybe freeze a chunk of it in an ice cube tray or popsicle thingy so you can crunch it. They sell pickle juice things like Otter Pops, but I think you'd have to order them. 

You could also give a tiny bit of V8 juice a go. I drank little bits of that from about 3 weeks out. Not a lot because of the acidity, though. 

You could also order Unjury chicken soup protein powder. 

That said, if you really chew the heck out of a bite of dill pickle, it's probably not going to kill you. I'm pretty much of a stickler on surgeon's rules, though.

If you're going to do it, at least peel the pickle first and chew it down to nothing.

2 hours ago, Ilove2read2 said:

I wish I could encourage you but IMHO it’s too soon for a pickle. I remember dying for a savory snack after what seemed like an endless parade of sweet protein drinks. I promise you, that you’ll be able to eat a pickle sooner than your think. Hang in there!

Hi folks, Thank you for the responses. I guess I didn't clearly communicate  that I am CRAVING pickles, but I won't eat them yet. I haven't even eaten mushy food yet! I do NOT plan on eating pickles...I was just asking WHEN we can eat pickles. I know the acidic vinegar might do a number on our pouch, so just polling around to find when other people DID eat pickles! 

I think I started eating pickles (diced for chicken salad) around the same time I was allowed to eat cooked veggies.  I would eat them more now except I mainly eat them in tuna salad, and tuna salad is one of those things I've found super challenging so far.  (God, I miss tuna salad...I can eat it now sometimes, but I have to be really careful to go slow.)

Anyway, as a fellow pickles-fan, I feel your pain.  I think at your stage I was craving fresh, ripe tomatoes... so I get it!

My lifesavers early out were broth made with Better Than Bouillon roast beef flavor, and a couple different kinds of chicken soup broth, all of which were very savory. I was getting really tired of the sweetness of the clear protein drinks by then. I still love the milk-based ones though (Premier Protein).

When do you transition to your next foods? I was on liquids only day 1-7 post up, then 8-14 I could have a soft boiled or scrambled egg, low-fat refried beans, soup with no chunks, and low-fat cottage cheese.

If you're dying for that pickle, I'd say find a broth that is complimentary to you adding dill to it.

4 hours ago, Ilove2read2 said:

Hi folks, Thank you for the responses. I guess I didn't clearly communicate  that I am CRAVING pickles, but I won't eat them yet. I haven't even eaten mushy food yet! I do NOT plan on eating pickles...I was just asking WHEN we can eat pickles. I know the acidic vinegar might do a number on our pouch, so just polling around to find when other people DID eat pickles! 

I would say as soon as they clear you for solids then.  Also there are people on here during liquid stage that did put shrimp at whatever it was and chew it really good and spit it out. I don't remember who .  Oh wait the shrimp was me lol !!!  I had read others need to chew after being on liquids so I tried the shrimp I didn't swallow it.

I craved pickles.  I actually drank pickle juice a couple times.  Looking back I think it may have been sodium withdrawal.  Pre surgery I was a salt a holic.  Now I rarely salt anything but I think it was my body adjusting.  When I could eat I took a few pickles and cut the outer part off and ate the softer part.  Again it only lasted a few days.  They are low calorie too.  Do not eat them too soon.  Follow your plan.  Pickles are another thing I don’t care for anymore...

i also craved bloody Mary’s;). I did drink v8 juice on my liquid diet to try to get some veggies in..then in the spring I wanted asparagus and strawberries but needed to wait til 6 months for those..

Edited by Cheesehead

10 hours ago, Ilove2read2 said:

just polling around to find when other people DID eat pickles! 

:) Good to hear. We sometimes get questions like that here where the asker has already done the thing in question and is just looking for someone to say "It's not that bad!" :lol:

I ate pickles as soon as I could eat solid food (like 4 weeks if I remember correctly?). Diced as small as could be, and stirred into my tuna salad. 

10 hours ago, Ilove2read2 said:

so just polling around to find when other people DID eat pickles! 

Probably about 3 weeks post-op for me. I was cleared to eat whatever I could tolerate at my 2 week follow-up. All surgeons are different though and I'd definitely recommend sticking to your surgeon's post-op dietary plan.

On 1/10/2018 at 8:21 AM, Ilove2read2 said:

I don’t know if you live in the US but if you do, check out Bubbies pickles. Just wait to get the all clear from your doc. ;)