Artie

Gym Questions!

I am 3 weeks and 2 days post op. I have now started soft food stage! 

I was wondering about lifting weights. How long did you guys wait until you started lifting weights? I don't want to lift too too heavy just enough to put some resistance on my fading muscles lol. 

14 minutes ago, Artie said:

I was wondering about lifting weights. How long did you guys wait until you started lifting weights? I don't want to lift too too heavy just enough to put some resistance on my fading muscles lol. 

I had a month of weight restrictions. Your program may be different. 

But from the time I was discharged my surgeon encouraged me to do light arm and leg exercises that didn't involve the abdomen. I did not, but I need to start thinking about it. She pushes her patients to be active in lifting and cardio. I don't mind the work part of it, it's not laziness that keeps me from exercise, I just find it all mind-numbingly boring. 

48 minutes ago, Artie said:

@Michael_A is right, you can do weights that don't involve your abdominal muscles right off the bat.  In my program some people head off to the gym and do some gentle abdominal stuff by 2-3 weeks.  I remember doing situps at about that juncture.

In comparison to the way this surgery was done in the past, now it is just little incision through a part of any given abdominal muscle - not the big big cut right through everything way it was done in the past. So, your abdominal muscles are never fully cut through across their width. Healing is faster and you can hit the gym much faster too. 

Artie,

I had an umbilical hernia repair at the same time as my RNY and was given a 6 week restriction (my employer has a 70lb lifting requirement) so it might be advisable to put a call into your surgeon's office to ask specifically about weight lifting.

I started back to yoga lessons 2 weeks out. However, I was told to avoid all abdominal exercises for 6 weeks, and to not lift over 10 pounds for 4, I believe. I would definitely check with your surgeon's office before doing anything. 

Hi, @Artie, good to see you around. My restriction was lift nothing over ten pounds until my 1 month check up and if all was well, I'd be released. So I would say don't lift anything over 10# but even then, it depends on if abdominal muscles are engaged in the lifting.  When is your next visit with your surgeon? I would say until you see hem, I would just stick with walking until he clears you. 

I was told no lifting over 25 pounds for 4 weeks, but every plan is different. Like everyone else is saying, though, there are exercises you can do that don't involve abdominals if you want to get a jump on it. The only real exercise I've done since surgery (back in May) is lifting my grandson, so I'm probably not the best person to give you advice, lol. Just be careful and take care of yourself :) 

Thank you all, I had surgery in Mexico so I won't have a check in. I will email them though. I have been doing cardio lately but it bores me so much. 

Thanks for all the responses guys. Sorry I have been away for a while. Trying to get adjusted to a different life. 

My surgeon had me wait a month for lifting weights as well. I think the most important thing is to listen to your body and don't overdo it. If it hurts, don't do it. I will tell you that the more weight I lost the weaker I felt. It was kind of frustrating not being able to lift the same weight I was before. Things did get better when I hit the 6 month post-op point as far as getting my strength back. 

5 hours ago, Chefman77 said:

My surgeon had me wait a month for lifting weights as well. I think the most important thing is to listen to your body and don't overdo it. If it hurts, don't do it. I will tell you that the more weight I lost the weaker I felt. It was kind of frustrating not being able to lift the same weight I was before. Things did get better when I hit the 6 month post-op point as far as getting my strength back. 

I already feel the little muscle I had become squishy lol

And I feel weak ever since the surgery. I am drained right after work, but I want to start lifting for muscle memory and because it will keep me distracted from my food addiction that I have really bad. 

20 hours ago, Artie said:

I already feel the little muscle I had become squishy lol

And I feel weak ever since the surgery. I am drained right after work, but I want to start lifting for muscle memory and because it will keep me distracted from my food addiction that I have really bad. 

Right on. It is also puts the metabolism in overdrive as it rebuilds/repairs muscle after breaking it down. I love it! Just don't get discouraged. Stick with it and you will be rewarded. I have to remind myself all the time that I'm almost 50 and not 20 anymore. I check my ego at the door and lift what my body tells me and not what my brain thinks I should do...:lol: With all the fat getting out of the way my muscle definition is really starting to come around, especially in the last month. It's pretty exciting. I told my wife I want 50 to be the knew 30. I just need to stay the course and stay healthy so I can continue my workouts.

On 1/10/2018 at 11:01 AM, Chefman77 said:

Right on. It is also puts the metabolism in overdrive as it rebuilds/repairs muscle after breaking it down. I love it! Just don't get discouraged. Stick with it and you will be rewarded. I have to remind myself all the time that I'm almost 50 and not 20 anymore. I check my ego at the door and lift what my body tells me and not what my brain thinks I should do...:lol: With all the fat getting out of the way my muscle definition is really starting to come around, especially in the last month. It's pretty exciting. I told my wife I want 50 to be the knew 30. I just need to stay the course and stay healthy so I can continue my workouts.

Lmao you will pull it off man, just keep at it. 

Do you take any sort of preworkout or anything for the gym. Like BCAAS Creatine, post workout recovery? 

I asked my NUT and she just gave me a generic mom answer on how stimulants arent good for the body even if you're not sleeved. 

4 hours ago, Artie said:

Do you take any sort of preworkout or anything for the gym. Like BCAAS Creatine, post workout recovery? 

I asked my NUT and she just gave me a generic mom answer on how stimulants arent good for the body even if you're not sleeved. 

Hope it’s ok if I jump into the convo. BCAAs and creatine aren’t stimulants, so it’s odd that 1) she’d lump them in with stimulants and/or 2) not know the difference. From my understanding, creatine can be hard on your liver if you take it for too long and is meant to be cycled rather than used all the time. BCAAs are amino acids (the building blocks of protein), so I’m really confused why she’d say they’re not good for you. If you were talking about ECA stacks, I can see her point, but even those have a time & place when used appropriately. What are your goals for working out? At this point, I’m assuming your primary goal is to lose fat while maintaining muscle as much as possible. In that case, you probably want to stay away from the recovery drinks since they tend to be pretty carb heavy. IMHO, it’s probably better to find a new normal and get your diet dialed in (low carb, get as much protein as possible) before adding in supplements. I’d suggest waiting you’re closer to goal and your workout goals shift to gaining muscle before you even think about adding in supplements. But that’s just my take from all the info I’ve gleaned from being around personal trainers, athletic trainers and other people in the fitness lifestyle/industry. I don’t use any of that stuff (I don’t need it for my personal goals) and neither does my personal trainer (his diet is ridiculously restrictive so he doesn’t find supplements helpful), but my boyfriend (who was an athletic trainer at U of Oregon) does, as does my ex-husband (who was a college athlete & is an amateur bodybuilder). It really depends on your fitness goals and whether your body responds to that stuff. And fwiw, unless she specializes in sports nutrition, I wouldn’t necessarily take that nutritionist’s advice with more than a grain of salt. Nutritionists sometimes have wacky ideas that don’t really line up with the latest studies and, frankly, what is common knowledge in sports/fitness.

@Artie I watched and thoroughly enjoyed this video. It reminded me of this thread and I thought that some of you may enjoy it as well. It truly makes a lot of sense to me.

Edited by Readytobeme

On 1/12/2018 at 8:51 AM, Artie said:

@ArtieThe scale finally started moving and I lost 4 1/2 pounds last week!

I use 1st Phorm products from supplement superstore. I use a pre-workout (Megawatt) on most days except leg day. The main reason I use it is to just get that extra adrenaline boost so I can get a good workout in. I always use a protein isolate post workout, juicy watermelon is my fave, and add glycogen. I only use half a scoop versus a whole scoop of the glycogen because it has so many carbs, but I think it's important for recovery. I drink BCAA's during my workout in a water bottle and finish it up after.

Edited by Chefman77

@Artie I have no idea if you should take supplements or not. I did want to note one thing. In my case, I found that the NUT at my clinic in Mexico gave me advice that contradicts many US standards. This isn’t to say anything negative about Mexico. It’s (IMHO) a difference in standards of care. 

I was exhausted for about six weeks. Some people bounce back quickly. I for sure wasn’t one of them. 

On 1/15/2018 at 10:24 PM, NerdyToothpick said:

@Artie I have no idea if you should take supplements or not. I did want to note one thing. In my case, I found that the NUT at my clinic in Mexico gave me advice that contradicts many US standards. This isn’t to say anything negative about Mexico. It’s (IMHO) a difference in standards of care. 

I was exhausted for about six weeks. Some people bounce back quickly. I for sure wasn’t one of them. 

Yes I agree, I just took a little bit of the supplement to see how my body would react and it was fine. 

Now I am having so much more energy because I started going to the gym.

On 1/13/2018 at 6:15 PM, Readytobeme said:

@Artie I watched and thoroughly enjoyed this video. It reminded me of this thread and I thought that some of you may enjoy it as well. It truly makes a lot of sense to me.

This is SO GOOD and I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing it.