Coachy71

Meet with Surgeon on Friday-Time Line???

I started this process in August. I have done the nutrition classes, psych eval, sleep test and everything else needed. Not sure what to expect on Friday when I meet with the surgeon. I have lost 10 pounds since starting the process but have not lost or gained since my last appointment 2 months ago. Can I expect a surgery date to come out of this Friday appointment?

Just a little anxious on what to expect.

Thank you all for being on this forum, first post, but have been reading and taking notes!

If you have met all the requirements of your insurance then probably a surgery date could come from this appointment.  How exciting for you!  Best to you as you begin this journey to your new healthier life!

Welcome to Thinner Times Coachy71!

My surgery was 5 months after I first saw a surgeon (about an umbilical hernia who suggested doing WLS at the same time.  It took pretty much all of that time to go through the bariatric programme, psyc. visit etc. etc. ).  Hopefully, you'll get your date soon.

Welcome @Coachy71!  It sounds like you have gone through a lot of the standard insurance company requirements.  I first met with my surgeon in January 2017, and my surgery was 6/14/17.  I would expect your surgeon to discuss what procedure you wish to have done, as well as clear up if there are any remaining requirements.  Good luck on Friday! :)

Thank you all for the help. Supposed to go to Disney World in July and hoping those plans aren't going to have to be changed. Looking forward to fitting into a roller coaster and enjoying it!

I was planning a trip too, when I got my surgery date - and ended up putting surgery off a month, because my vacation was with a group and I couldn't move it and WOULDN'T miss it.  :)  I only lost a month.

I had my first appointment in... May, I think?  I could have scheduled my surgery in late July/early August, but didn't because of my vacation.  Then surgery got postponed because my surgeon was on vacation... so my final surgery date was 9/8. 

Hope you get good news on Friday!  But for what it's worth, I would say walking around Disney World all day is definitely a one-month-after-surgery challenge for the abs and general constitution.  If your earliest possible surgery date is any time later than early June, you might consider doing it after your trip instead of before. 

Hi @Coachy71 - my first appointment was the end December 2016 and my surgery was about 90 days later on March 20. I was lucky in that I went to my first appointment with daily weight records from my attempts to lose weight in 2016 while I was seeing my PCP - a supervised weight loss program that lasted more than 6 months - so that box got crossed off early for me. My insurance company and surgeon did not require me to have an endoscopy since I had no symptoms of reflux, and I clearly qualified for surgery given my complications (osteoarthritis and back issues, sleep apnea) despite a BMI just under 40. 

Just luck!

Welcome, @Coachy71

I skipped the queue by doing self-pay in Mexico, so no insight for you there, but I hope the process goes smoothly and quickly for you!

I didn’t meet the surgeon until I had completed everything.  That was the end of November, he then turned everything in to insurance and 2 weeks later I had my date (5 weeks later).  The end is in sight for you...exciting times await!

11 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

I didn’t meet the surgeon until I had completed everything.  That was the end of November, he then turned everything in to insurance and 2 weeks later I had my date (5 weeks later).  The end is in sight for you...exciting times await!

This is what I am thinking (hoping) will be the case with me...  I have done all the prerequisite items, just need to meet with the surgeon. I have read on here about 6 month diets, but have not been told that by anyone I have worked with at the University of Iowa. Little worried that I haven't lost any weight since my last appointment. 

We shall see tomorrow, I guess!

Thank you all for making this forum so great. Very insightful and though provoking. Good luck to you all and I look forward to any other responses.

Do you check in once a month with your surgeons office?

Met with the surgeon and went very well. I’m going to do the sleeve instead because of less potential complications. They are booked up in February but it looks like a March date is a very good possibility! Everything is sent off to insurance and hope for good news in the next week or so!

That's great news Coachy and March isn't too far away.

Awesome news, it'll be here before you know it! When you get your date, put it on the March calendar here, that way you can see who else is having it done around you!

4 hours ago, Coachy71 said:

Met with the surgeon and went very well. I’m going to do the sleeve instead because of less potential complications. They are booked up in February but it looks like a March date is a very good possibility! Everything is sent off to insurance and hope for good news in the next week or so!

Great news! I will be having surgery in March as well. Do keep us posted when you get your date.

On 1/11/2018 at 8:33 AM, Coachy71 said:

This is what I am thinking (hoping) will be the case with me...  I have done all the prerequisite items, just need to meet with the surgeon. I have read on here about 6 month diets, but have not been told that by anyone I have worked with at the University of Iowa. Little worried that I haven't lost any weight since my last appointment. 

We shall see tomorrow, I guess!

Thank you all for making this forum so great. Very insightful and though provoking. Good luck to you all and I look forward to any other responses.

Do you live in Iowa City? I grew up there! Most of my family is still in the area.