Sign in to follow this  
tchau

Martial arts?

15 minutes ago, Stephtay said:

Looking for a martial arts recommendation.  I want to mix up my workouts and eventually be able to say I can kill someone with my bare hands. 

I've never done martial arts. I bet it would be great in your repertoire. Love your spunk!

Jiu Jitsu! It’s all about flexibility and strength, so you can find ways to use what you have to your advantage. There’s something ridiculously satisfying about being able to flip guys who outweigh me by 100lbs and make them tap out (skinny arms are great for choking people). Plus, there’s a mental component. One of my good friends call Jiu jitsu “human chess” because you’re constantly adjusting and reassessing while in the moment. And, from a self defense POV, it gets you comfortable with defense and getting into a position of advantage from starting on your back. 

3 hours ago, Stephtay said:

Looking for a martial arts recommendation.  I want to mix up my workouts and eventually be able to say I can kill someone with my bare hands. 

I approve of these motivations :-)

3 minutes ago, athenarose said:

Jiu Jitsu! It’s all about flexibility and strength, so you can find ways to use what you have to your advantage. There’s something ridiculously satisfying about being able to flip guys who outweigh me by 100lbs and make them tap out (skinny arms are great for choking people). Plus, there’s a mental component. One of my good friends call Jiu jitsu “human chess” because you’re constantly adjusting and reassessing while in the moment. And, from a self defense POV, it gets you comfortable with defense and getting into a position of advantage from starting on your back. 

This is helpful for me, I've been looking for something myself.

2 hours ago, Stephtay said:

My son is a black belt in Kempo Karate. Lots to recommend it. I am thinking that I will take it up soon myself. You most assuredly would want him at your back in a bar fight. (As his instructors note, it is important to remember that anyone with a gun can do a lot more damage in a second than you can. So know how to run fast too. They are very practical people.)

Have a friend who is a 5th degree Aikido black belt. Some of her peers (ok, very high level) have recently developed traumatic brain injury from being thrown so hard so many times during demonstrations and having concussions.  So would pursue knowing as much as possible about the martial art you choose. You get whacked in kempo karate but I think concussions are very rare indeed. 

There are so many stories of what people can do. My Aikido friend's former dojo instructor is little old lady who in her 80s was jumped by two guys coming out of the grocery store. She broke the first guys legs and one arm. When the second guy objected to what happened to #1, she broke the back of the second guy.  She then put her groceries back in her cart and walked away. I am informed the police declined to prosecute this 5 foot, 90 lb, 80+ year old person for all the mayhem. 

1 hour ago, athenarose said:

I'm sold - thank you!

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

There are so many stories of what people can do. My Aikido friend's former dojo instructor is little old lady who in her 80s was jumped by two guys coming out of the grocery store. She broke the first guys legs and one arm. When the second guy objected to what happened to #1, she broke the back of the second guy.  She then put her groceries back in her cart and walked away. I am informed the police declined to prosecute this 5 foot, 90 lb, 80+ year old person for all the mayhem. 

She is my new hero! I will check out Kempo Karate too - thank you!

On 1/9/2018 at 12:46 AM, athenarose said:

Thank you so much for this amazing explanation.

Edited by bodyjohn