Mevva

Am I ready for this surgery???

1 hour ago, Boho Rosy said:

Hi Pam. I felt the exact same way, and one of the things that helped me more than anything was an email exchange I had with my friend @Stephtay who is also here on TT. The night before my surgery, I emailed her asking if I would ever be able to enjoy food again. She reassured me that I would, and also said the most magical thing to me - she pointed out that food is always the most delicious in the first few bites, and after that, we tend to mindlessly shove it in. She went on to say that my WLS would help me become a person who could be satisfied by those first few bites alone and that I would learn to savor my food instead of just "gobbling it down." She was 100% right. 

This idea that Steph shared with me has continued to resonate now that I'm just over 2 months out. I wasn't one of those lucky WLS patients who lost my interest in eating post surgery, but I've had a realization. My whole life, I've been told that I can't have this or that (I'm one of those people who has been on a diet since I was a kid). The thought that I'm not allowed to have something was the very thing that made me turn around and binge on it. Now, when I'm craving something that isn't part of my eating plan, I remind myself that I can absolutely have it if I want it because I will only have a few bites. Case in point, over Christmas break, I found myself at an ice cream shop with my family. I ordered a kid's sized sundae to treat myself (ice cream is my #1 vice). I ate three bites and threw it away because I was full. Long story short, post-op, I don't have to obsess over food any more, because I know that I can have a taste of just about anything. I cannot tell you how much it puts my mind at ease!!

I think you're ready to have surgery and I applaud you for thinking about these issues pre-op. You can do this, and I know you will be so glad you did!

Thank you @Boho Rosy. :wub: YOU MADE MY DAY! So glad that something I said helped you. You are doing fantastic - so HAPPY for you! :D

3 hours ago, Stephtay said:

Thank you @Boho Rosy. :wub: YOU MADE MY DAY! So glad that something I said helped you. You are doing fantastic - so HAPPY for you! :D

Tons of things that you said helped me, @Stephtay! I hope you don’t mind that I name you when I pay it forward. ;)

@Stephtay & @Boho Rosy

Beautifully put - so much of the pleasure of a food / meal is the anticipation and the initial few bites!