Phoenix97

Water oh how I miss thee after a meal....

Ok I'm firing through barriers at a quantum rate. I had pressure cooked chicken and carrots when just on Tuesday, I was petrified of meat. Whoohoo @CheeringCJ 

Onto the next "issue" (you guys are really going to get to know me!)

During my preop days I came to LOVE water. Like as much as I loved tea which  was almost a problem with green tea's amount if caffeine  But, now I have to meter it. After I eat, I want nothing more than to swig a bunch of water. This is a part of the pre op counseling that I totally lied about. I told them I was doing the not drinking pre 30 post 30 thing, but wasn't. I told myself, I don't have to yet, so why do it?

Practice, idiot. I'm glad no time travel exists, because is strangle myself in November 2017, lol.

But, now I'm totally unprepared. After meals, I have to wash my mouth out and spit the water in the sink since I get so thirsty. Anyone else dealing with this? My dinner weighed 3.5 ounces total, and there's no way that it could have had enough sodium to cause thirst that quickly. Is this like head hunger and a habit or an I just a big ole water bug that has to deal with the drought for 30 min pre and post meal?

Needless to say, I'm getting like 100 ounces of fluids a day, so dehydration isn't a factor in the thirst either. Is it conditioning? Very interested in your thoughts. 

Edited by Phoenix97

I drink in well in excess of 100 oz of fluids a day but have always had a dry mouth after eating.

I got around that initially by having a couple of pieces of Dole fruit (peach mostly) minus the liquid (natural juice).

Once I was cleared for all foods, if was really thirsty, I'd have 3 or 4 grapes, a few segments of clementine or a few slices of cucumber or a stick of celery etc.  But I still stick with nothing to drink for 45 minutes or so.

I feel the same way! In his research, my doctor found the 30 minute pre-meal liquid ban to be useless, so he only requires us to do the 30 minutes after thing. He says the after one is VERY important, and is a big predictor of whether or not a patient will have successful, sustained weight loss. I think the desire to drink IS conditioning plus seeing everyone else drinking freely. Give yourself credit for following the rules even though it's hard. Well done!

Like Gretta, I was able to drink right up to eating but no drinking for 30 minutes afterwards.

Ok cool. At least I'm not alone on that. During my last bite I'm already thinking omg I can't drink! It's gotta be conditioning. And what funny is that earlier while bellyaching about not being able to drink too my husband, I got in my phone and posted that and then browsed around here only to realize at that point I could drink something. Distraction is key during this learning period. Lol thanks so much guys!

I didn't have to "practice" this preop (so you're not at a disadvantage for not doing it) but I knew it was coming and I knew it would be tough. I literally had to not put my cup in the table so I wouldn't be tempted.  I put it in the fridge and leave it there until my time is up. I can drink before meals and knowing it's drought time coming up, I drink lots beforehand. I literally make myself finish my drink before I can go to the table...just to make sure I get my liquids in, plus it makes me a little full feeling and I don't "think" I can eat more than I should....it enforces my limit, and then I am totally hydrated before I eat and not as thirsty afterwards.  It was a challenge to learn this behavior but I am quite used to it now, so it does get easier and will become a habit.  Hope it soon becomes your habit.....and you're right, distractions really do make the time pass quickly!

9 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

I didn't have to "practice" this preop (so you're not at a disadvantage for not doing it) but I knew it was coming and I knew it would be tough. I literally had to not put my cup in the table so I wouldn't be tempted.  I put it in the fridge and leave it there until my time is up. I can drink before meals and knowing it's drought time coming up, I drink lots beforehand. I literally make myself finish my drink before I can go to the table...just to make sure I get my liquids in, plus it makes me a little full feeling and I don't "think" I can eat more than I should....it enforces my limit, and then I am totally hydrated before I eat and not as thirsty afterwards.  It was a challenge to learn this behavior but I am quite used to it now, so it does get easier and will become a habit.  Hope it soon becomes your habit.....and you're right, distractions really do make the time pass quickly!

I do this, too. OK, no food until I finish my 24 ounces, or whatever. I still miss drinking after eating, though. I sometimes eat sugar free mints after dinner - they seem to help a bit. I just figure it's a rule I have to live by - no way around it.

@Phoenix97Not sure if you've seen the video explainer of WHY this is important, so I'll put the link here. It just clicked for me when I saw this.

Edited by Jen581791

The no fluids thing was hard for me too initially.  But after I saw the video above posted by @Jen581791, I understood the logic and have worked hard on this.  My requirements are 20 minutes before/during/after eating.  I can honestly say this has now become a habit, and I don't even feel deprived.

Great video. Thanks for sharing 

3 hours ago, Elisa said:

Great video. Thanks for sharing 

yep, that video made it make sense to me back then too, and I think of it every time I want to drink before my 1/2 hr is up! :) 

That video is awesome. I even showed my husband to educate him so he wouldn't say "just drink a little" when I start bellyaching. I bought one of those little things that attaches to your cup that blinks ever 30 minutes after it senses movement. Now I know exactly when u can drink! Haha. I'm still thirsty as all get out after eating though. Just a new normal I guess!

8 minutes ago, Phoenix97 said:

That video is awesome. I even showed my husband to educate him so he wouldn't say "just drink a little" when I start bellyaching. I bought one of those little things that attaches to your cup that blinks ever 30 minutes after it senses movement. Now I know exactly when u can drink! Haha. I'm still thirsty as all get out after eating though. Just a new normal I guess!

I showed it to my hubby also, it just makes it make sense!  That cup thing sounds interesting!  I just check the clock and say "I can drink after 7:30" and by then I totally forget about it and before I know it, it's like 7:45 and I could drink but forgot about it!  So it gets easier.

I saw that water reminder thing and came close to ordering it. I am trying hard not to buy anything until I am post op and see what I actually need though. I tend to drink a lot of water now so hoping that habit won't change much once I am a few weeks out and healed a bit.

I have been doing the not drinking with meal for at least a month now. Oddly enough, it doesn't bother me at all. Most times I go 45 minutes to even an hour before drinking after a meal.

What a cool gadget! I just set a timer on my phone.

On 07/01/2018 at 9:41 AM, Jen581791 said:

I do this, too. OK, no food until I finish my 24 ounces, or whatever. I still miss drinking after eating, though. I sometimes eat sugar free mints after dinner - they seem to help a bit. I just figure it's a rule I have to live by - no way around it.

@Phoenix97Not sure if you've seen the video explainer of WHY this is important, so I'll put the link here. It just clicked for me when I saw this.

Thank you for this,I have been so dry here at the hospital and the food is so salty(soups) that I have been sneaking in sips of water to help things go down. Maybe it isn't as harmful when you are still on liquid diet stage, but it sure gave me something to think about. So much better knowing the  rational behind the rules. 

38 minutes ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

Thank you for this,I have been so dry here at the hospital and the food is so salty(soups) that I have been sneaking in sips of water to help things go down. Maybe it isn't as harmful when you are still on liquid diet stage, but it sure gave me something to think about. So much better knowing the  rational behind the rules. 

I very seriously doubt you're doing yourself any harm by doing that at the hospital when you're doing liquids, but it's a good thing to have in mind for later. In the meantime, take good care of yourself, drinking as much liquid as you can and resting as much as you are able. I hope you're out of the woods soon. 

Me to, @Jen581791. As always, I appreciate your words of wisdom. I am trying my best to keep sipping throughout the day regardless of the nausea. I find my pallette is getting very bored of the sane ol chicken noodle puree soup, but not much I can think of to get around that. The only other choices of soup are cream if mushroom and cream of celery... Both of which I find wayyyy to salty and a bit gaggy. :unsure: