Ladybugzzz86

One month, but got to start somewhere ;)

Just now, Ladybugzzz86 said:

Lmao, yay! I'm getting there hahaha. You know what? Its too funny because looking at that pic made me want KD even less, like I think my mind wanted it a little, now I am starting to realize I don't want it at all, nor the feeling I would get afterwords. :D

Yay!!! I helped!!! And it always helps to remember the feeling we get afterwards. Whether it's nausea from eating crap, or the shame that goes along with it...hold on to those feelings!! Remember that eating has now become a way to nourish our bodies, not to comfort us. We need healthy fuel!! I know I always feel better every time I make a healthy choice over a bad one...emotionally as well as physically! ❤️

5 minutes ago, Nana Trish said:

Yay!!! I helped!!! And it always helps to remember the feeling we get afterwards. Whether it's nausea from eating crap, or the shame that goes along with it...hold on to those feelings!! Remember that eating has now become a way to nourish our bodies, not to comfort us. We need healthy fuel!! I know I always feel better every time I make a healthy choice over a bad one...emotionally as well as physically! ❤️

You have helped me more than you realize so far, since your first post to be honest. So I am so rooting for you to reach your next goal, because you deserve it dudette! Plus I can't wait to see the pics :lol:

You have helped me more than you realize so far, since your first post to be honest. So I am so rooting for you to reach your next goal, because you deserve it dudette! Plus I can't wait to see the pics :lol:

Aww ❤️ I'm so glad I've been able to help!! Knowing that helps me too :) 

I'm working on reaching my next three goals. It's been slow going this past month due to some unexpected, very stressful family issues, and my dad passing away. But I'll get there. My next goal is only 1.2 pounds away. 184. That's the weight I was told by my surgeon that I would reach from the surgery. I'm 3 days away from my 8 month mark, and I'm almost there. After that, of course, is my goal weight of 175 (hopefully to be modified later, lol). After that, I'd really like to hit 168.3, because that puts me at a loss of 50% of my TOTAL body weight :) Anything beyond that is gravy...pun intended, lol :) 

5 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Aww ❤️ I'm so glad I've been able to help!! Knowing that helps me too :) 

I'm working on reaching my next three goals. It's been slow going this past month due to some unexpected, very stressful family issues, and my dad passing away. But I'll get there. My next goal is only 1.2 pounds away. 184. That's the weight I was told by my surgeon that I would reach from the surgery. I'm 3 days away from my 8 month mark, and I'm almost there. After that, of course, is my goal weight of 175 (hopefully to be modified later, lol). After that, I'd really like to hit 168.3, because that puts me at a loss of 50% of my TOTAL body weight :) Anything beyond that is gravy...pun intended, lol :) 

You got this! I can't wait to read your posts along the way :D 50% of your total body weight, can you imagine!?!? I'm setting my goal pretty high at 200, but I haven't been anywhere around that weight since... Oh about 8th grade or so. So yeah, keep the updates rolling, cause they are sure to inspire someone just as they have for me :D

7 minutes ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

You got this! I can't wait to read your posts along the way :D 50% of your total body weight, can you imagine!?!? I'm setting my goal pretty high at 200, but I haven't been anywhere around that weight since... Oh about 8th grade or so. So yeah, keep the updates rolling, cause they are sure to inspire someone just as they have for me :D

Nope, I still can't imagine losing 1/2 of myself, lol, even though that is only 17 pounds away!! I originally set my goal at 160, but I changed it to 175, because I figured given my age and health, that was more realistic for me. And you can always revise your goal to a lower weight at any time. I just didn't want to set myself up for disappointment if I didn't get down to 160.

Nothing wrong with setting your goal at 200, no matter what the reason. You might get there and realize that you are comfortable there, or you might revise your goals at that point. There is no wrong way to do this :) 

1 minute ago, Nana Trish said:

Nope, I still can't imagine losing 1/2 of myself, lol, even though that is only 17 pounds away!! I originally set my goal at 160, but I changed it to 175, because I figured given my age and health, that was more realistic for me. And you can always revise your goal to a lower weight at any time. I just didn't want to set myself up for disappointment if I didn't get down to 160.

Nothing wrong with setting your goal at 200, no matter what the reason. You might get there and realize that you are comfortable there, or you might revise your goals at that point. There is no wrong way to do this :) 

That's great to know @Nana Trish, because my surgeon didn't really give me a set goal, so ty for that. The only thing I am still a little uncomfortable about really us the daily calorie intake. 

The binder I had for my WLS says sim for 800-1200 for women, and up to 1600 for men. But when searching through this site, mist people would say that this is set too high. I did notice that the binder has not been updated in quite some time and of course things do change. Can you give me some input on what you have learned so far? Even Spark people suggests I do no less than 1600 per day to loose 2-3 pounds per week lol. I could care less to eat that much though if we are being honest. That seems more like a maintainance goal to me. Hrmmm...:unsure:  

54 minutes ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

I'm setting my goal pretty high at 200, but I haven't been anywhere around that weight since... Oh about 8th grade or so. 

You and me both, sister! I also set my goal weight fairly high, because I honestly can't fathom what a reasonable adult weight would be for me. I'm certainly not going to stop WHEN I get there (trying hard not to say "if") but I'm just going to have to play it by ear. 

@Ladybugzzz86, I can only give you my experience, but remember that I'm not a doctor...I only play one on tv, lol. 

Prior to my WLS, I asked my surgeon how many calories we are supposed to be eating after surgery. His response...we don't count calories after surgery. He said this because he has a whole diet plan laid out for his patients, and if you follow the basic plan, get your protein and fluid goals in for the day and weigh/measure everything, you shouldn't need to count calories. On paper, that's all well and good. 

That being said, your caloric intake will vary depending on what stage you are post op. I think by the end of the first month I was eating 300-400ish calories on a good day maybe. I will be 8 months out on Wednesday, and I average 700 calories a day. There have been a few days I've eaten 900-1,000 but not many. I personally will probably shoot for 1,000 calories a day for maintenance...maybe a little higher. I have to see what my body does at that point before I can decide for sure. But I need to add that I basically live on chicken, cheese, yogurt, chia seeds and eggs, so it's pretty effortless to stay around 700 calories a day. Those foods are quick and easy, and now that I don't rely on food for anything besides fuel now (for the most part, lol), it's almost a non issue for me. BUT...just because this is what I do, that doesn't mean that's what you have to do or what will work for you. If you are exercising, you will most likely need and be able to eat more calories. I don't exercise...I have back and knee problems that make it difficult to walk, let alone anything more physical than that. A lot of things to consider. If you are making healthy choices, that's the most important thing. There are people here that eat many more calories than I do, and are very successful at losing and maintaining. 

Edited by Nana Trish

Just now, kristinwitha_k said:

You and me both, sister! I also set my goal weight fairly high, because I honestly can't fathom what a reasonable adult weight would be for me. I'm certainly not going to stop WHEN I get there (trying hard not to say "if") but I'm just going to have to play it by ear. 

When, when, when!!! Never if, only when :D

Thanks Trish. That is very helpful. On a normal day I was getting at least 600 calories in a day, averaging around 650 per week. I was feeling pretty tired all the time, but I figure that is to be expected. But when I tell people that, they think I'm starving myself. Must be because they all consider 2000 calories to be the average due to nutrition labels. 

I really don't exercise all that much either due to chronic pain in my back, but I am slightly active because where I live you really need to be... I'm out in the sticks lol. Even here in the hospital I get three to four walks in, very slow mind you as I hug a pillow into my belly for some pain relief. But reading your post is making me feel more comfortable in terms of the caloric intake goal that I am aiming for 600-1000.

And if anyone else would like to share what works for them, or if they see an issues with mine by all means feel free to join in. :P

30 minutes ago, kristinwitha_k said:

Well I think we are definitely setting ourselves up for success by starting there :) and once we reach it, which we will ;)there will be no stopping us :D

43 minutes ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

That's great to know @Nana Trish, because my surgeon didn't really give me a set goal, so ty for that. The only thing I am still a little uncomfortable about really us the daily calorie intake. 

The binder I had for my WLS says sim for 800-1200 for women, and up to 1600 for men. But when searching through this site, mist people would say that this is set too high. I did notice that the binder has not been updated in quite some time and of course things do change. Can you give me some input on what you have learned so far? Even Spark people suggests I do no less than 1600 per day to loose 2-3 pounds per week lol. I could care less to eat that much though if we are being honest. That seems more like a maintainance goal to me. Hrmmm...:unsure:  

I love spark people! Been a member there for 11 years. I still make many of the recipes from their recipe collections.

Thanks Trish. That is very helpful. On a normal day I was getting at least 600 calories in a day, averaging around 650 per week. I was feeling pretty tired all the time, but I figure that is to be expected. But when I tell people that, they think I'm starving myself. Must be because they all consider 2000 calories to be the average due to nutrition labels. 

I really don't exercise all that much either due to chronic pain in my back, but I am slightly active because where I live you really need to be... I'm out in the sticks lol. Even here in the hospital I get three to four walks in, very slow mind you as I hug a pillow into my belly for some pain relief. But reading your post is making me feel more comfortable in terms of the caloric intake goal that I am aiming for 600-1000.

And if anyone else would like to share what works for them, or if they see an issues with mine by all means feel free to join in. :P

Please remember that the first couple of months post op are very exhausting at times, regardless of your caloric intake. You are moving from liquids to purée to soft solids, and even though you might be getting what is considered enough calories after WLS, you may still feel tired and weak. Add to that your health struggles right now, and you are bound to feel cruddy for a bit.

When I started my pre op diet, my surgeon basically put me on Atkins...but the low low carb version, lol. No pizza, pasta, burrito versions. I was eating 850 calories a day and averaging 30-40g of carbs per day. Just the thought of trying to survive on 850 a day was frightening, to say the least. I think back on that now, and it sounds like a lot of calories to me. It's a very weird shift in thinking, for sure. And yes, when you tell people how little calories you eat, they will think you are starving yourself. But you're not...your body physically does not need more than that right now to survive. 

3 minutes ago, Readytobeme said:

I love spark people! Been a member there for 11 years. I still make many of the recipes from their recipe collections.

I really enjoy it too, @Readytobeme. I love all the exercises and articles. I had a hard time sticking with the groups on there though. But still, great site, great app

2 minutes ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

I really enjoy it too, @Readytobeme. I love all the exercises and articles. I had a hard time sticking with the groups on there though. But still, great site, great app

Yeah, I wasn't really into the groups either. I found it easy to track everything and like the recipes.

16 minutes ago, Nana Trish said:

..your body physically does not need more than that right now to survive. 

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense to me. I guess the truth of the matter is that we are much more likely to survive and thrive on the ~800 calories then we ever could on the 3000+ calories in our past. Now only if our friends, family, and judgmental people could see and realize that truth, I think the world will be a better place *sings* ^_^ for you... And me.... You just wait, and seeeee! 

OK. I. Am. Done

:lol:

Edited by Ladybugzzz86

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense to me. I guess the truth of the matter is that we are much more likely to survive and thrive on the ~800 calories then we ever could on the 3000+ calories in the past. Now only if our friends, family, and judgmental people could see and realize that truth, I think the world will be a better place *sings* ^_^ for you... And me.... You just wait, and seeeee! 

OK. I. Am. Done

:lol:

Lolol too funny :D

Those close to us sometimes can't understand the process, and think they know best. Or nosey Nellie down the street has to know how and why you are losing so much weight so quickly...ugh. That's the exact reason a lot of us here don't, or haven't yet, told a lot of people about our surgery. I'm not saying you shouldn't, by any means...but sometimes it's easier to get through the early stages without all of the well meaning advice from Aunt Jane...whose boyfriend's brother's mailman had the surgery 20 years ago and gained all the weight back, lol. People will just never mind their own business. So frustrating! My own mother and sister don't even know I've had WLS, and I never plan on telling them. Just what I have to do to get through this. 

I know the 800 calories is on the extreme opposite end of the spectrum, but you bet you will thrive better on that than 3,000+ calories a day prior to surgery. And like I said before, once we are at maintenance, we will be able to add in some healthy carbs, fruits and veggies. I personally can't wait to have avocado again. I LOVE avocado. But it's too high in calories and not much protein, so I won't eat it yet. But I will, in a couple of months. There will be wiggle room :) 

7 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Lolol too funny :D

Those close to us sometimes can't understand the process, and think they know best. Or nosey Nellie down the street has to know how and why you are losing so much weight so quickly...ugh. That's the exact reason a lot of us here don't, or haven't yet, told a lot of people about our surgery. I'm not saying you shouldn't, by any means...but sometimes it's easier to get through the early stages without all of the well meaning advice from Aunt Jane...whose boyfriend's brother's mailman had the surgery 20 years ago and gained all the weight back, lol. People will just never mind their own business. So frustrating! My own mother and sister don't even know I've had WLS, and I never plan on telling them. Just what I have to do to get through this. 

I know the 800 calories is on the extreme opposite end of the spectrum, but you bet you will thrive better on that than 3,000+ calories a day prior to surgery. And like I said before, once we are at maintenance, we will be able to add in some healthy carbs, fruits and veggies. I personally can't wait to have avocado again. I LOVE avocado. But it's too high in calories and not much protein, so I won't eat it yet. But I will, in a couple of months. There will be wiggle room :) 

Well I seemed to have made the mistake of telling my parents, now their whole neighbourhood knows. Then my father travelled down where I live and started telling people who I never talk to about me landing in the hospital. I think he just likes the attention, but doesn't seem to care that I don't. 

Well it is breakfast time here, need to track someone down to get NY needle... Badly... Hope you have a great day :

@Ladybugzzz86, my daily calorie intake is around 1200 while still losing. That was set by my dietician. There is a school of thought that after WLS, the reset metabolism will set at a higher point if you consume more calories while losing. So for example by consuming 1200 calories daily while losing, my maintainence calories will be higher (say 1600 perhaps). They say if your on a very low calorific intake at goal that your maintainence calories will also be lower, for example 800 calories a day while losing may equate to 1200 for maintainence. I admit I'd prefer to be one of those that can maintain at a higher calorific intake. In all honesty I've never seen any good explanation for how this new set point thing works. I doubt anyone really knows and it's all just theoretical.

Edited by Aussie H

39 minutes ago, Aussie H said:

@Ladybugzzz86, my daily calorie intake is around 1200 while still losing. That was set by my dietician. There is a school of thought that after WLS, the reset metabolism will set at a higher point if you consume more calories while losing. So for example by consuming 1200 calories daily while losing, my maintainence calories will be higher (say 1600 perhaps). They say if your on a very low calorific intake at goal that your maintainence calories will also be lower, for example 800 calories a day while losing may equate to 1200 for maintainence. I admit I'd prefer to be one of those that can maintain at a higher calorific intake. In all honesty I've never seen any good explanation for how this new set point thing works. I doubt anyone really knows and it's all just theoretical.

That is wonderful food for thought ,Aussie tyvm. I am tempted to make a new thread based on this topic alone to get a consensus on what works, or doesn't work for everyone in terms of caloric intake for maintaining weight and losing weight.... Too tired right now though sadly. I have no idea if what I am saying is making sense. Goodnight all xoxoxo :D

:eek:zzzXzxzxxxzz 

2 hours ago, Aussie H said:

In all honesty I've never seen any good explanation for how this new set point thing works. I doubt anyone really knows and it's all just theoretical.

I’ve been trying to find data on this very topic (you’ll guess why if you know I’ve been at around 800 calories for most of the last year). I can’t seem to find anything anywhere. It makes me feel like doing my own research. There are so many variables it would be awfully tough to control for, but really interesting to try. I wish we knew more about this.

@Jen581791 Did someone say research project??

150F5B63-D138-439A-B894-53CCD479BEEF.gif

On 16/01/2018 at 12:34 AM, Jen581791 said:

I’ve been trying to find data on this very topic (you’ll guess why if you know I’ve been at around 800 calories for most of the last year). I can’t seem to find anything anywhere. It makes me feel like doing my own research. There are so many variables it would be awfully tough to control for, but really interesting to try. I wish we knew more about this.

That would be some pretty awesome brain candy!

Edited by Ladybugzzz86
Tidying it up, I think I was drunk on pain meds

Just now, NerdyToothpick said:

@Jen581791 Did someone say research project??

150F5B63-D138-439A-B894-53CCD479BEEF.gif

We could put together an online survey and use the results to yield some more specific research questions and target some people for case studies and and and