Kio

I could use some realtalk...

I know it's not as long a stall as some people have, but I've been stalled at 243ish for about a week and a half.  I've had a couple of little stalls since surgery, but none this long.  If there's no downward movement in the next two days, I'll close out Month 4 only 8 lbs down - my lowest monthly total since surgery by a long shot.  It's kind of getting me down.

My rational brain reminds me that:

1. I'm not very good at getting my water in
  2. Stalls happen, and they eventually break
  3. I've been shoveling my @*# off for about a week and a half, and may be doing some muscle building

But my scared inner fat girl says: 

• That's it; that's all the weight loss you get!  The honeymoon is over. :mellow:

I'm trying not to listen to that voice.  I'm TOTALLY not discouraged enough to go off plan, so that's not really an issue right now.  I'm trying to drink more, and I'm on guard against any incidental carbs.  I'm doing about average on my protein - better than the past few weeks, before I found a protein shake that works, but I'm not getting past 60 a day most days.  I'm definitely getting plenty of exercise with my shovel, both aerobic and anaerobic! 

But I hit 243, stayed there a day... went UP to 245, stayed there two days... back down to 243... and there for a week now without budging.  It's getting pretty easy to ignore my rational brain now... so if any of you veteran rational people would like to chime in with some encouragement, I'm definitely in need!

1 hour ago, Kio said:

I know it's not as long a stall as some people have, but I've been stalled at 243ish for about a week and a half.  I've had a couple of little stalls since surgery, but none this long.  If there's no downward movement in the next two days, I'll close out Month 4 only 8 lbs down - my lowest monthly total since surgery by a long shot.  It's kind of getting me down.

My rational brain reminds me that:

1. I'm not very good at getting my water in
  2. Stalls happen, and they eventually break
  3. I've been shoveling my @*# off for about a week and a half, and may be doing some muscle building

But my scared inner fat girl says: 

• That's it; that's all the weight loss you get!  The honeymoon is over. :mellow:

I'm trying not to listen to that voice.  I'm TOTALLY not discouraged enough to go off plan, so that's not really an issue right now.  I'm trying to drink more, and I'm on guard against any incidental carbs.  I'm doing about average on my protein - better than the past few weeks, before I found a protein shake that works, but I'm not getting past 60 a day most days.  I'm definitely getting plenty of exercise with my shovel, both aerobic and anaerobic! 

But I hit 243, stayed there a day... went UP to 245, stayed there two days... back down to 243... and there for a week now without budging.  It's getting pretty easy to ignore my rational brain now... so if any of you veteran rational people would like to chime in with some encouragement, I'm definitely in need!

Your might need to ease up on yourself for month four. With everything you had going on emotionally and all between your brother's passing and your other brother wanting to come live with/near you and having to work around all that, mourning the loss of you "family", as well as one of your besties losing her dad at Christmas, it is a lot to deal with in a matter of a few weeks!  What would you have done LAST YEAR ??  Eaten your way through it?? Been up 10#??  

I totally get that old haunt of you have failed....we have been so programmed by that feeling...it's been so part of who we are for so long, and we will have to deal with the that later, but for this year, you can't help but lose weight while on plan!!!  It will come off!!!

Keep getting your fluids and workouts in and don't worry about it. I bet next month will be fine...maybe even make up for it!  But seriously, think about your weight loss in previous years, wouldn't you have been THRILLED with an 8# loss in a month? That's just under 2# a week!  That is still an amazing loss!!!

Edited by CheeringCJ

Up your water... how’s your protein doing?  Inches?  Are they dropping?

30 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

Up your water... how’s your protein doing?  Inches?  Are they dropping?

I'm getting around 60 grams of protein a day, but I'm adding in an extra protein shake now to raise it to 80.  I can't yet eat enough real food to meet my protein goals. 

I think I may have lost an inch in the waist and calves, my jeans are a little looser there, and some things that didn't fit well previously now work fine - but I usually don't measure, because I'm not any good at it.  I don't measure in the right places, or I forget where I measured and get widely varying measurements a day apart...

46 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

Your might need to ease up on yourself for month four. With everything you had going on emotionally and all between your brother's passing and your other brother wanting to come live with/near you and having to work around all that, mourning the loss of you "family", as well as one of your besties losing her dad at Christmas, it is a lot to deal with in a matter of a few weeks!  What would you have done LAST YEAR ??  Eaten your way through it?? Been up 10#??  

Keep getting your fluids and workouts in and don't worry about it. I bet next month will be fine...maybe even make up for it!  But seriously, think about your weight loss in previous years, wouldn't you have been THRILLED with an 8# loss in a month? That's just under 2# a week!  That is still an amazing loss!!!

It's true there's been a lot going on, and I haven't gone off plan - so that's a victory in itself!  I know 8 lbs is nothing to sneeze at... but it's only half of last months' total, which makes me a little sad.  I know weight loss slows after a while, but I didn't think it would this early!

You could be at that “losing inches, but not weight” ..  do you eat the same thing every day or do you which it up?

Kio, you are only 4 months out and have lost 122 pounds?  That is 30.5 pounds lost each month averaging it out! That is crazy good IMHO.

Hang in there. You know if you are doing everything that you are supposed to, the weight has no choice but to come off.

Sheesh, you have lost another adult person to carry around. :D

Edited by Readytobeme

8 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

You could be at that “losing inches, but not weight” ..  do you eat the same thing every day or do you which it up?

I switch it up in some specifics, but not really overall... it's always protein protein protein, but some days it's chicken, some days it's fish, sometimes eggs, sometimes meat of another kind... I don't eat much veg, because it just takes up room I need for protein, and I don't eat carbs except for the ones that come with cheese/ricotta/yogurt!

1 minute ago, Readytobeme said:

Kio, you are only 4 months out and have lost 122 pounds?  That is 30.5 pounds lost each month averaging it out! That is crazy good IMHO.

Hang in there. You know if you are doing everything that you are supposed to, the weight has no choice but to come off.

Sheesh, you have lost another adult person to carry around. :D

LOL - I wish!  Actually 57 of those pounds came off prior to surgery.  Since surgery it's been 65 lbs... which is still 16 lbs a month, so looked at that way, still pretty good!  (And a full adult person since April of this year, so.... :):):)  In fact, since April, I've lost just shy of an entire @Cheesehead, LOL!)

The only thing I've really done differently this month as opposed to last month is ... well, not throwing up anymore!  Hopefully THAT isn't the reason for the change... ;) 

1 minute ago, Kio said:

LOL - I wish!  Actually 57 of those pounds came off prior to surgery.  Since surgery it's been 65 lbs... which is still 16 lbs a month, so looked at that way, still pretty good!  (And a full adult person since April of this year, so.... :):):)  In fact, since April, I've lost just shy of an entire @Cheesehead, LOL!)

The only thing I've really done differently this month as opposed to last month is ... well, not throwing up anymore!  Hopefully THAT isn't the reason for the change... ;) 

That is too funny! I almost said that you have lost a Cheesehead lol

You know that your body needs time to adjust with rapid weight loss. You just have to keep reminding yourself of that.

I know that I will feel exactly the same when I hit stalls. So in a few months from now you can return the favor. HA!

Relax.  16 pounds a month so far is great and I am not surprised that your body has reacted with a stall.  Just drink as much as possible each day (water not wine :D), take your vitamins and minerals, and stick to the post op diet, and the pounds will begin to fall off soon.  Over the years that I have been on TTF, I have so many posts like yours, and they all end up with a weight loss stall breaking as long as the person stuck with the post op diet.

By the way, in a few months when you reach goal, you will look back on today and wonder why you were so nervous that your weight loss might be over.

@Kio!!!

In the immortal words of @Res Ipsa, relax. (But, as he says, don't replace the water with wine). 

If ever there was a time to envy our friends who only weighed in once a month after their surgery, this is it. Just pretend you had no weight data and only had your inches data. You would be happy. So be happy! 

n.b. I only got a foot not the 16" you got. Talk about being closer to the water making a difference...

Well let’s see you pick me up any carry me up a flight of stairs;).  First 6 months all I ate was chicken then tomato season hit, fresh tomatoes from the garden.  Lol.  If I had part of a tomato as supper, I had a protein shake for snack.  Your body is probably just giving yourself an adjustment, shaking itself off and getting ready to move downwards again!  And you are probably losing inches..

5 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Relax.  16 pounds a month so far is great and I am not surprised that your body has reacted with a stall.  Just drink as much as possible each day (water not wine :D), take your vitamins and minerals, and stick to the post op diet, and the pounds will begin to fall off soon.  Over the years that I have been on TTF, I have so many posts like yours, and they all end up with a weight loss stall breaking as long as the person stuck with the post op diet.

By the way, in a few months when you reach goal, you will look back on today and wonder why you were so nervous that your weight loss might be over.

I hope you're right, @Res Ipsa!  (If you're not, I'm sitting on you at the Boston spring meet-up!!!)

I'm going to try to take your advice and just chill about it, keep working the program, and wait for the stall to break naturally!  (Without wine - good point, lol!)

Edited by Kio

5 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

@Kio!!!

In the immortal words of @Res Ipsa, relax. (But, as he says, don't replace the water with wine). 

If ever there was a time to envy our friends who only weighed in once a month after their surgery, this is it. Just pretend you had no weight data and only had your inches data. You would be happy. So be happy! 

n.b. I only got a foot not the 16" you got. Talk about being closer to the water making a difference...

It's true... I wish I weren't an every-day-weigher at times like these!  I'll try to relaaaaaaaaxxxxx... (breathe in... breathe out... ), and forgo the wine.  Maybe some cheese instead ;) 

A foot is bad enough, @BurgundyBoy!  Plus, closer to the water you get flooding.  Revere and Quincy are basically underwater, I hear...

Omg I'm a multi time per day weigher. (One time eating disordered, so though counseling can get you to stop most behaviors, some habits don't go away)  My husband yells at me to get off the scale. Lol. 

During my preop loss period, my first month in nutritional counseling I lost TWENTY POUNDS! I went from 287 to 267. The next month weigh in: 264. The next month: 264.  The next month: 267. I was freaking and my nutritionist was calm as a cucumber, saying plateaus can last months. Personally, I think we all have stoppers in out brains that say nope. Not letting any more weight go. Then eventually that plateau is broken then weight falls off again. My nutritionist said some people don't hit plateaus as often, but I hit two more. One at 250 and one at 240. Each time it was two weeks no movement or a couple of pounds up. It's so frustrating. Post op, so far I've been lucky. Only 4 weeks out though. I've been losing a pound every two days, almost. But I know a stall is coming. I'll tell my husband to hide the scale when it does. 

In my younger days when 160 was reason to begin starvation, I remember busting my @*# and losing 10 pounds and that would be it. Some of us genetically love to hold on to our blubbery coats. 

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Easier said than experienced, though. Hang in there!

@Kio Are you hanging in there? I know stalls suck, and mostly because it doesn't FEEL like it's ever going to end - like this is it. I'm sure you've got a long way to go before that happens, though. I hope it's already over, but if not, try to trust that it will end - easier said than done, though, I know.

@Kio, my scale's not been moving much....and I push off the discouragement bc I am SEEING and FEELING a difference in my body even without losing weight.  I SEE a different when I look in the mirror sans clothing and when I have clothes on  I see the looseness and when I take my measurements I realize the inches are melting off of me so I am thinking if you chock those other ways to see a difference, it might not be so discouraging! :)

@Kio I’ve been in your spot several times during my post op weight loss life. I’m a newbie like you, still in the honeymoon period. I had convinced myself that I wasn’t losing weight anymore and that made me weep. Here I am, nine months out and I’ve lost eighty pounds from my starting weight. 

You are doing everything right. You are eating, moving your bum and drinking water. The stall will break and you’ll start losing again. 

If its any consolation my surgery was a month before yours and our weight was 2 lb diff day of surgery I was 296 and you 298.  You are the same weight I am now.

Edited by tracyringo

@Kio and everyone - Don't forget we just passed through the holidays, and may have diverted from "normal eating habits" a bit.  I was up 1.8 pounds after Christmas vacation.  #BackOnTrack2018  #WeGotThis

@Kio, I can't add much to what everyone else has already said. For what it's worth, every post I have seen on stalls sounds a lot like yours. They are extremely frustrating. But every one has broken, and the weight loss has gone on. It will be the same for you! And you really have had a LOT going on emotionally as well. I'm a firm believer that stress makes your body hold on to weight, so maybe that is playing a part in your stall. Try not to worry too much that your loss this month is 1/2 of what you've been losing. Everyone is different, and next month you could see your usual loss plus a few extra :) (((hugs))) ❤️

Here is my only advice:

Stay off the scale for a while and stay on plan.

Hi guys!  Sorry I didn't update after my epic whine... work got busy, and I got sleepy!  Actually I can't say work got busy... it's more like I had a lot of work to do all at once because I'd been putting it off, and it was due.  ;)   And for the last two days, I have gone to bed ridiculously early (for me), like around 10:30ish? 

Anyway, my stall has broken!  It turns out it was period-related.  I have to say... my cycle is a curious, curious thing.  Sorry if this is too TMI for the boys, but my cycle basically shut off when I got above 280, and was off for maybe 5 or 6 years.  Now it's back on... and the water retention part seems to always hit as I close out a month for measuring loss! 

So I did lose enough to get to 10 lbs loss for last month before I closed it out... and I was down 2 more this morning!  Stall thoroughly broken.  I'm going to do a blog post later but I wanted to update the thread too because you guys were so reassuring and it really DID help!!!