I keep reading about this here, people mention they are taking it but I don't know why!

So what's it for?  Suck food? General digestion?

And which one do you use?

It's an enzyme that helps to break down protein, so if food gets "stuck" as it can post-op, it will help to break it down and make your stomach feel better. I've had a few different brands, and they seem to work the same. I thought it sounded a little iffy, science-wise, when I first saw it on the forum, but it works. What I read online seems to agree that it should work. It's actually breaking down the protein. 

I swear by them.  I get mine at Walmart.  Also helps if you have taken one bite too many.  They are chewable.  

My hubby has told me in one of the countries he's been to that they serve a small piece of papaya at the end of the meal to aid in digestion.  Don't remember which country it was, he travels a lot.  

I thought it was a little kooky sounding at first too, but since everyone swore by them,  I bought them even before my surgery.  I don't use them often but when I do they are great!  Usually if I have taken a bite or two more than I should have.....and viola, they work like a charm (pretty fast and they are tasty and chewable so you don't have to send any water down after you eat -- which is a no no).   THey are pretty cheap (3 cents per tablet!) and so worth it!  The whole bottle is less than $5 from Walmart (well that is here in the US....just remembered you were from London....if you live in Austrailia  like @Aussie H, they cost a lot more so I have no idea what they are where you are )

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-Papaya-Enzyme-Complex-Tablets-180-Ct/10324935?athcpid=10324935&athpgid=athenaHomepage&athcgid=null&athznid=EASYREORDER&athieid=v0&athstid=CS002&athena=true

3 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

if you live in Austrailia  like @Aussie H, they cost a lot more so I have no idea what they are where you are )

I bought a multi-pack deal off eBay before Christmas that bought the price down to about $36 for 3x120 bottles. Last time I bought them it cost that much for just one bottle of 70 tablets.

Worth paying attention to the amount of enzyme in each tablet though. Some of the cheaper ones I saw had very little enzyme in them, while the more expensive ones had almost 10x the active enzyme.

Thanks everyone!

I'll get a bottle for sure :D

I was just wondering the same thing, thanks for this thread :D trying to put together a WLS newbie toolbox on Amazon - for the price I think they are at least worth a try! :)

4 hours ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

I was just wondering the same thing, thanks for this thread :D trying to put together a WLS newbie toolbox on Amazon - for the price I think they are at least worth a try! :)

Even at the price I pay for them, they are still worth it. I rarely have to use them, but by golly when I do I'm very grateful that I have them.

2 hours ago, Aussie H said:

Even at the price I pay for them, they are still worth it. I rarely have to use them, but by golly when I do I'm very grateful that I have them.

Thanks Aussie, I had to do some process of elimination but I think I finally found a half decent one without fillers and added sugar. So much wonderful info on this site, I think I'm in love :lol::wub:

On 06/01/2018 at 12:30 PM, Ladybugzzz86 said:

Thanks Aussie, I had to do some process of elimination but I think I finally found a half decent one without fillers and added sugar. So much wonderful info on this site, I think I'm in love :lol::wub:

What one is that please?

Hey @Elisa, the one I just got can be found here: 

American Health Enzymes Chewable Super Papaya Enzyme Plus 360 tablets 23603 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00822YO96/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_obLuAbBDR10GG

No added sugar, small amounts of sorbitol and manitol which doesn't bother my body at all, it actually helps my digestion. It seems to be a little bit more expensive than my first choice (swiss naturals), but you get what you pay for I think. Good luck!

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

American Health Enzymes Chewable Super Papaya Enzyme Plus 360 tablets 23603 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00822YO96/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_obLuAbBDR10GG

No added sugar, small amounts of sorbitol and manitol which doesn't bother my body at all, it actually helps my digestion. It seems to be a little bit more expensive than my first choice (swiss naturals), but you get what you pay for I think. Good luck!

That's the one I picked also :-)

6 hours ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

I ordered that one several months ago from Amazon. My husband and I both tried them. For me they did not work as well as the full spectrum and lipo enzymes that I have been taking since I got my gallbladder removed years ago. But, I have not yet had surgery so it may be different for others post op.

Once the gallbladder is removed the liver does not create quality bile. That is why I take enzymes. I take mine daily. They are not only helpful for digestion but also to absorb nutrients.

Hey @Elisa, you are most welcome!

@Michael_A, what can I say.. You have good taste! :lol:

Thanks for the info @Readytobeme, I would imagine yours would be much more effective and I am glad you found something that works! Right now I am just looking for something a bit milder to help move things along on sluggish days, but great to know there are other options if this doesn't seem to be the right fit. I do still have my gal bladder, so fingers crossed -_-

Edited by Ladybugzzz86

3 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

I ordered that one several months ago from Amazon. My husband and I both tried them. For me they did not work as well as the full spectrum and lipo enzymes that I have been taking since I got my gallbladder removed years ago. But, I have not yet had surgery so it may be different for others post op.

Once the gallbladder is removed the liver does not create quality bile. That is why I take enzymes. I take mine daily. They are not only helpful for digestion but also to absorb nutrients.

What product do you take?

20 hours ago, Michael_A said:

What product do you take?

I take these but not at every meal. I take them before dinner.

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-biocore-optimum-complete-ultimate-full-spectrum-enzymes-90-veg-caps

I take these if I eat a meal high in fats.

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-maximum-strength-biocore-lipo-60-veg-caps

I was not able to eat things like pizza before I started taking the second enzyme. It would just sit in my stomach and my stomach would be upset for days. I only take the second one when I eat something high in fat. They have just always worked well for me. My husband uses them as well as he also had gallbladder removed.

22 hours ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

Hey @Elisa, you are most welcome!

@Michael_A, what can I say.. You have good taste! :lol:

Thanks for the info @Readytobeme, I would imagine yours would be much more effective and I am glad you found something that works! Right now I am just looking for something a bit milder to help move things along on sluggish days, but great to know there are other options if this doesn't seem to be the right fit. I do still have my gal bladder, so fingers crossed -_-

I am hanging on to my Papaya enzymes. I may well need them post op. They seem to work well for many people on this forum. I may not have noticed any difference because I have been taking the others for so long.

Does anyone know if the papaya enzymes help with GERD?

1 hour ago, Stephtay said:

Does anyone know if the papaya enzymes help with GERD?

Where GERD is usually caused by an overproduction of stomach acid or problems with your lower esophageal sphincter muscle, I doubt this would help much.:( Personally, it doesn't help me with mine since my VSG (didn't really have a problem before my op). :blink:

The best thing that has helped my GERD is a PPI (proton pump inhibitor), which decreases the amount of stomach secretions produced. That being said, I would love to find a more natural treatment if anyone has any suggestions :):wub:

56 minutes ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

Where GERD is usually caused by an overproduction of stomach acid or problems with your lower esophageal sphincter muscle, I doubt this would help much.:( Personally, it doesn't help me with mine since my VSG (didn't really have a problem before my op). :blink:

The best thing that has helped my GERD is a PPI (proton pump inhibitor), which decreases the amount of stomach secretions produced. That being said, I would love to find a more natural treatment if anyone has any suggestions :):wub:

Thanks. I take protonix daily. Apple Cider Vinegar helps too. But it tastes terrible. 

1 hour ago, Stephtay said:

Thanks. I take protonix daily. Apple Cider Vinegar helps too. But it tastes terrible. 

Steph, I've seen here on the forums a couple times now that all PPIs or antacids or whatever are not equal, and someone that was suffering got relief when they switched up to a different drug. 

For whatever it's worth...

Thanks, @Stephtay, I will have to give that cider vinegar a try! I hear it has many health benefits, its just too bad the taste is awful lol.  Michael has a very good point there too, not every medication works the same for everyone. I hope you find some relief if yours is not working for you. :rolleyes: