Ladybugzzz86

Sorry for being away, but I am in a tough spot right now...

Been in and out of an ER the last couple days... I ended up getting dehydrated and consequently, bound up and have had severe pain in my abdomen and upper and lower back due to the distention of my stomach. Didn't help that my doctors were no good, leaving me NPO and no IV fluids for another 10 hours after arriving. They were too concerned about the fact that I was a post op patient, and that they knew very little about the surgery and some of it's complications. (To the point that they were checking me for a pulmonary embolisim. I mean thanks, but not related to my s&s at all...) Anyhow, not trying to complain, as much as get my aggression about the whole situation out. 

I think part of my problem too is that my bowels have gotten so used to me eating copious amounts if food, that they didn't have to do much on their own before, because I was even getting bound up during my preop diet, which was full fluids. Anyone else experience similar issues?

I know I could improve my h2o intake, and believe me I am trying. Been no BM for a week now, and very nauseated all the time. I am lucky I can eat once a day right now, and have been walking as much as possible, regardless of the intense pains. Currently taking Sennakot at night, PEG powder during the day (7days), and two enemas in the past few days. I have been cleared of a bowel obstruction, apparently, and labs all look fine. So at least I am not dying :blink:. Any tips, or personal stories would be greatly appreciated right now. I am 3 weeks post VSG. Thanks for listening guys :unsure: <3

Constipation is a very common theme here and there are several threads on the subject.  Everyone has their own regimen for what works for them and you'll probably have to experiment to find what works for you.  Since you're so early post-op you probably should check with your surgeon before trying anything too drastic though.

Personally, I used Miralax in the early post-op period, plus the occasional Senokot S (sometimes had to take 3 tabs for results).  Now that I can eat more carbs (fiber) I don't have as much trouble, although still occasionally struggle.  I find that the fiber in beans is my best bet for next day results :)  Of course all the usual things as well...fluid intake, fiber intake, walking.

Fiber from food sources always works better for me that from supplements...not sure why.  Good luck!

Really appreciate your words of wisdom @msmarymac. I have been trying pea soup, getting lots of gut activity, just not in the direction I was intending lol. Will keep on doing what I am, as you seem to get some benefit from the same things also. Until then I am just going to keep browsing past posts related to this topic for some pease of mind. And with any luck I won't spontaneously combust in the meantime ;)

Sorry you've been struggling! That doesn't sound fun :(  I hope things start...ahem... moving along better for you. Miralax seems to be the most common remedy here. I drink senna tea sometimes, too. It's difficult in the time when you're not getting enough fiber in your diet. Early out I discovered I was lactose intolerant post-op, so I used that to my advantage a few times, I admit. A few sugar-free candies (sugar alcohols can do that to me, too) now and again... Pea soup and watery refried beans might be helpful, but can have other effects, as you've mentioned.

Good luck! 

I've had some awful bouts of painful constipation post-op. Things have improved as of late since I've really focused on my water intake and eating more fiber. I take powder probiotic + fiber every morning along with a good cup of coffee too. If I don't have any success after a few days I'll resort to MOM and usually get results from that. Sorry you've suffered from it. The pains associated with that can be quite severe. Hope you figure out what works for you.

Unfortunately, I too suffered 5 days of no BM after my surgery. If you ask my husband, I was the crankiest he has ever seen me. Per my surgeon, I took a full dose of Milk of Magnesia. It took 10 minutes for things to get moving...but I was running to the bathroom ever 15 minutes for 12 hours. After that, my body figured out how to regulate itself (I drink coffee in the morning to help), and haven’t had issues since. 

5 hours ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

....So at least I am not dying :blink:. Any tips, or personal stories would be greatly appreciated right now. I am 3 weeks post VSG. Thanks for listening guys :unsure: <3

Ouch. 

I get unhappy without a morning BM. Like the others, coffee (rocket fuel strong) in the morning, add fiber (psyllium) to my morning shake and sometimes to hot chicken broth in the afternoon. Beans, broccoli - both of which can be pureed or blenderized into an easily slurped substance. I also eat sauerkraut now - cabbage is full of fiber and no calories, helps when I am bedevilled by Head Hunger. 

You might try starting with something like a tablespoon (by weight, 5 grams) of psyllium in the morning and then working your way up by a gram every couple of days. I can put 8 grams into my morning shake but more --- too jello-like. My wife is in hysterics when she sees me with my bright purple blueberry and Premier Protein shake in the morning if it has become too dense. 

this is not a commercial plug - but bought this very finely ground psyllium on Amazon. It dissolves pretty easily which some of the coarse ones don't.  Works well for me! Viva Naturals Organic Psyllium Husk Powder - Fiber Support, Ultra Fine for Easy Mixing, 24 oz 

Thanks SO much for your suggestions guys, it means the world to me right now. I will for sure add more h20 and fiber to my diet as soon as I get things back on track, love the idea of adding it to my smoothies. I'm a little afraid to add it right now, as any added gas is for sure going to give me added cramping - and I am honestly at my pain threshold limit right now.

Had a tiny bit of movement a few minuets ago, but what I would consider overflow. My intuition tells me, from medical first hand experience, that I have a partial obstruction. Accompanied by nausea and vomiting too, so very hard to keep things down right now, and very worried about muscle wasting... But I know I can't afford to worry about that right now, need to focus on the issue at hand. A bit of a rough start to my 2018 lol, but will be worth it soon enough.

Tyvm again @Jen581791 @Chefman77 @Rootrazz and @BurgundyBoy , I really am looking forward to implementing your tried and trusted ideas!

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

this is not a commercial plug - but bought this very finely ground psyllium on Amazon. It dissolves pretty easily which some of the coarse ones don't.  Works well for me! Viva Naturals Organic Psyllium Husk Powder - Fiber Support, Ultra Fine for Easy Mixing, 24 oz 

Agree - psyllium is good. I've been putting it in my morning shake as well. I buy the coarse stuff (that is all that is available to me here), but I put it in the blender with milk, ice, and the protein shake powder, and it gets blended up nicely. Adds a sort of thickening element to the shake, too, which is nice. The finer stuff would be great, I think. I can send you my PO Box number if you like, BB ;) 

@Jen581791 Happy to send. 

But you'll have to quarantine the stuff, I have Weight Loss Elves and the occasional Demon at the house and you don't want to get any infestation of those characters...

1 minute ago, BurgundyBoy said:

@Jen581791 Happy to send. 

But you'll have to quarantine the stuff, I have Weight Loss Elves and the occasional Demon at the house and you don't want to get any infestation of those characters...

What I DON'T want is the cold weather and snow drifts! You can keep those. 

1 hour ago, Jen581791 said:

What I DON'T want is the cold weather and snow drifts! You can keep those. 

(Rats, had hoped I could ship those out to a nice warm place where they could do no harm...)

Have you tried smooth move tea?  Like others I use MOM as my last resort method.  For a while I was taking 2 chewable fiber tablets, 2 stool softeners and probiotics.  I also use coffe in the mornings to get things moving.  My first bm after surgery was 6 days out and even though I was on liquids, it was like trying to pass a 10 pound bowling ball.  I never want that experience again.  I hate the taste of smooth move and MOM but they do the trick if needed.  

7 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Early out I discovered I was lactose intolerant post-op, so I used that to my advantage a few times, I admit. 

Oh, Jen you are too funny! :D  I have thought the same thing just last week when I was asking about it.  I thought "why don't I just drink a glass of milk?" (but then I remembered how much intestinal cramping I get and now matter how much "poo-pourri" I use, it makes that wing of the house w/ the bathroom I used quite unusable for a while....LOL!! (only someone that is LI can understand!)

Anyway @Ladybugzzz86  I was just asking about it the other day....this may help you too...

Does any of your Drs have you on daily laxatives?

12 hours ago, Ladybugzzz86 said:

Been in and out of an ER the last couple days... I ended up getting dehydrated and consequently, bound up and have had severe pain in my abdomen and upper and lower back due to the distention of my stomach. Didn't help that my doctors were no good, leaving me NPO and no IV fluids for another 10 hours after arriving. They were too concerned about the fact that I was a post op patient, and that they knew very little about the surgery and some of it's complications. (To the point that they were checking me for a pulmonary embolisim. I mean thanks, but not related to my s&s at all...) Anyhow, not trying to complain, as much as get my aggression about the whole situation out. 

I think part of my problem too is that my bowels have gotten so used to me eating copious amounts if food, that they didn't have to do much on their own before, because I was even getting bound up during my preop diet, which was full fluids. Anyone else experience similar issues?

I know I could improve my h2o intake, and believe me I am trying. Been no BM for a week now, and very nauseated all the time. I am lucky I can eat once a day right now, and have been walking as much as possible, regardless of the intense pains. Currently taking Sennakot at night, PEG powder during the day (7days), and two enemas in the past few days. I have been cleared of a bowel obstruction, apparently, and labs all look fine. So at least I am not dying :blink:. Any tips, or personal stories would be greatly appreciated right now. I am 3 weeks post VSG. Thanks for listening guys :unsure: <3

I am so glad that you are back, Lady. I was wondering where you had run off to. Sorry to hear of your problems. I have been there and done that before. I had to have the scan to look for blockage and the whole nine yards.

Miralax every single day and plenty of fluid is what helped me. I also take a good probiotic and daily full spectrum digestive enzyme since I had my gallbladder removed back in 1997.

Careful bulking up with fiber too much. Especially if you are not getting your fluids in. Too much fiber when there is already a problem can cause blockages in some instances.

I never let myself go more than 3 days without taking some MOM. This is a very rare occasion and would not be safe to take frequently though.

Good luck. I do hope that you get some relief soon!

4 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

(Rats, had hoped I could ship those out to a nice warm place where they could do no harm...)

You can ship it to me. I'll just dump it all in the pool which currently is hot enough to have a bath in. Very inconvenient at the moment when it's already 106 degrees outside.

I might have to consider filling the spa and dumping bags of ice in it as the tap water is pretty hot here as well.

On 04/01/2018 at 7:04 PM, CheeringCJ said:

Oh, Jen you are too funny! :D  I have thought the same thing just last week when I was asking about it.  I thought "why don't I just drink a glass of milk?" (but then I remembered how much intestinal cramping I get and now matter how much "poo-pourri" I use, it makes that wing of the house w/ the bathroom I used quite unusable for a while....LOL!! (only someone that is LI can understand!)

Anyway @Ladybugzzz86  I was just asking about it the other day....this may help you too...

Does any of your Drs have you on daily laxatives?

Thanks, @CheeringCJ.... Any and all info is VERY helpful at this point. At the point where I cried myself to sleep last night because the pain was that bad. Strangest thing is that my surgeon told me that I don't need anything to help my bowels, I highly doubt he would say the same thing if he were in my shoes right now! P.S. I especially loved @Jen581791s comment  in your thread about being full of sh!t lmao,:lol: good to have a chuckle during this ordeal!

20 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

I am so glad that you are back, Lady. I was wondering where you had run off to. Sorry to hear of your problems. I have been there and done that before. I had to have the scan to look for blockage and the whole nine yards.

Miralax every single day and plenty of fluid is what helped me. I also take a good probiotic and daily full spectrum digestive enzyme since I had my gallbladder removed back in 1997.

Careful bulking up with fiber too much. Especially if you are not getting your fluids in. Too much fiber when there is already a problem can cause blockages in some instances.

I never let myself go more than 3 days without taking some MOM. This is a very rare occasion and would not be safe to take frequently though.

Good luck. I do hope that you get some relief soon!

Glad to be back! Wish it was under better circumstances, but I sure am glad to have people to talk to who knows exactly what its like to deal with these sh!tty situations! Lol

Next time I will definitely be ahead of the ball if/when this happens again. I am using the Canadian version of miralax, called lax-a-day here. Still no success, but lots and lots of belly sounds. Also taking 3g of fiber once a day to start, it is a Jamison brand that doesn't cause any bloating or gas (thankfully cause benefiber kills me) and 2 senekot twice a day just until something happens. Can't take this pain much longer. 

@Cheesehead sadly I am not allowed caffeine, can irritate the new wall ofy stomach. Trust me I have been tempted to ignore that recommendation and have some regardless because it has always helped in the past. But I am very interested into looking for this tea that you mentioned. I checked out my drugstore today and couldn't find it, so I think its time to use the ol trusty amazon... I miss having some warm liquids in the morning, so that in itself might help also.-_-

On 1/5/2018 at 3:41 PM, Ladybugzzz86 said:

Glad to be back! Wish it was under better circumstances, but I sure am glad to have people to talk to who knows exactly what its like to deal with these sh!tty situations! Lol

Next time I will definitely be ahead of the ball if/when this happens again. I am using the Canadian version of miralax, called lax-a-day here. Still no success, but lots and lots of belly sounds. Also taking 3g of fiber once a day to start, it is a Jamison brand that doesn't cause any bloating or gas (thankfully cause benefiber kills me) and 2 senekot twice a day just until something happens. Can't take this pain much longer. 

@Cheesehead sadly I am not allowed caffeine, can irritate the new wall ofy stomach. Trust me I have been tempted to ignore that recommendation and have some regardless because it has always helped in the past. But I am very interested into looking for this tea that you mentioned. I checked out my drugstore today and couldn't find it, so I think its time to use the ol trusty amazon... I miss having some warm liquids in the morning, so that in itself might help also.-_-

@Ladybugzzz86 Different surgeons have different requirements for their patients. I was told that I could drink coffee right after I checked out of the hospital. I have found that the acidity of coffee makes my stomach hurt but espresso is mild on my stomach. In addition, espresso helps me poo. :D

Hey @NerdyToothpick. Thanks for your successful pooping trick lol:lol: good to know it is at least given the OK by some surgeons. 

Really though, all the differences between surgeons guidelines for post-op restrictions is a little ridiculous :huh:

There doesn't seem to be any standard set anywhere. (At least as far as I can tell). Perhaps its time for the TT crew to put their skills to work and make one, along with a FAQ 'first aid' cheat sheet for all those poor unfortunate souls out there, especially the ones who can't poop! Lmao

@Ladybugzzz86 I think you’ll find that TT crew take poop vrrry seriously. O_o

Exactly! I dunno, I thought it was a good idea... God knows I would have loved a cheat sheet when I thought I was dying on the toilet last week. Sorry if I offended?:unsure:

Edited by Ladybugzzz86

Yes, very seriously - I’ve noticed that the poo threads have about 10x as many laughing emojis in them as other threads!! :lol::lol::lol:

I’m sure @NerdyToothpick was just acknowledging how central poo is in our daily lives. She laughs harder than anyone else...

It’s serious business but also hilarious. 

A Poo FAQ would be a welcome addition, I’m sure. We all need it at some point!

Lmao Thank God! I was thinking that, but really didn't want to assume and get it wrong. That would be a sh!tty mistake to make.....:P

1 hour ago, Jen581791 said:

A Poo FAQ would be a welcome addition, I’m sure.

So say we all.