Phoenix97

Stage 2 finally! But I'm afraid...weird!

10 hours ago, tracyringo said:

Jen, Michael A said he just had something stuck and it was awful. He said Agony and something about heartburn. I don't experience it like that at all thankfully. Just really uncomfortable when it happens to me.

So far I haven't had to go through that, @Jen581791, @Michael_A And @tracyringo!!!  I hope I never do....I fact, I'll be extra chewing my food now so that I don't!!!  

14 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

RIGHT!??  I think that all of the time...."nope, not good enough for me" when I used to think "whatever" about food, now I am thinking if I can only fit 4 oz, they sure as heck better be GOOD ones!

And yes, I love the concoction I threw together and I can't stop making it!  I actually throw the chicken in first, hit the button a few times to chop it a bit, then throw in fat free refried beans or pinto beans or black beans (the refried beans are my fav in that concoction) then add some taco seasoning if I feel like it, some salsa and top it w/ some low fat shredded cheddar (just a little) and a tablespoon or two of plain greek yogurt!  Sometimes I toss in the avocado if I have some.  BTW, I made a new mix this week..... one chicken breast (I throw a few in the crock pot so I have them to work with), avocado oil mayo (which is pretty tasty I have to say) and  an avocado and blend.  The  mixture comes out green but is sooooo delicious.  I found myself watching the clock waiting till I could have more of it!  

Yeah, lady. You are hereby crowned my official meat converter! I'm at lunch right now at work eating my new favorite meal. I can eat the same thing 1000009000009876 times in a row, so this is seriously going to be a mainstay.  You know what is also funny is that I used to love to LOAD UP a chip with 7 layer dip. I basically was eating dip straight. This tastes exactly like that. But stir in my Genepro, boom 30 grams of protein extra. Yeeeeah! I love you guys. 

44 minutes ago, Phoenix97 said:

Yeah, lady. You are hereby crowned my official meat converter! I'm at lunch right now at work eating my new favorite meal. I can eat the same thing 1000009000009876 times in a row, so this is seriously going to be a mainstay.  You know what is also funny is that I used to love to LOAD UP a chip with 7 layer dip. I basically was eating dip straight. This tastes exactly like that. But stir in my Genepro, boom 30 grams of protein extra. Yeeeeah! I love you guys. 

Glad to be of service, Phoenix!!!  I eat it all of the time and haven't gotten tired of it yet. I have a snow day today so I am making more as we speak!!! I also am making my chicken/avocado salad Bc I love that too!!!

19 hours ago, Aussie H said:

According to her vegetables are for fat people. They are only good for filling the space that they don't want filled with sweet stuff. They both say the nutrient value of vegetables is low, and as we're taking lifetime multivitamins we don't need them.

My surgeon tells her patients the same thing. That since we are on a vitamin regimen, fruit and vegetables contribute almost nothing to our diet that we need. 

She's especially hard on fruit, saying it should only be eaten after a protein meal, as a treat, and never by itself as a snack since most fruit are almost all sugar.

I'm not there yet so I haven't worried about it.

16 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

My surgeon tells her patients the same thing. That since we are on a vitamin regimen, fruit and vegetables contribute almost nothing to our diet that we need. 

She's especially hard on fruit, saying it should only be eaten after a protein meal, as a treat, and never by itself as a snack since most fruit are almost all sugar.

I so agree with that statement. Even now I always have a few almonds with a piece of fruit. The sugar must be balanced out with protein.

2 hours ago, Michael_A said:

I do have a fruit serve almost everyday as part of my protien drink breakfast. It's usually berries (which I'm told pack the best bang for their buck) but occasionally it's half a banana because my surgeon's 2IC says that's the best way to counter reactive hypoglycemia. 30g of nuts are also often a snack for me. Any other fruits or veggies definitely take a back seat at meals. It's not that I'm scared of them because I'm actually in maintenance, but I would be throwing them away if I bought them because I only have so much room to fill up these days.

11 hours ago, Aussie H said:

I do have a fruit serve almost everyday as part of my protien drink breakfast. It's usually berries (which I'm told pack the best bang for their buck) but occasionally it's half a banana because my surgeon's 2IC says that's the best way to counter reactive hypoglycemia. 30g of nuts are also often a snack for me. Any other fruits or veggies definitely take a back seat at meals. It's not that I'm scared of them because I'm actually in maintenance, but I would be throwing them away if I bought them because I only have so much room to fill up these days.

Yes I agree, berries especially will be on my list of things that I eat with frequency. 

I have to respectfully disagree or at least add another perspective to the idea that we don't need veggies or fruits because we take vitamins.  There is ample research that shows absorption of nutrients is more efficient from food sources than from supplements, but even more importantly I think is the antioxidants and phytonutrients (non vitamin or mineral) that we get from veggies and fruits.  There is just so much evidence of the protection from cancer and heart disease and certain eye diseases that while we may not need them from the lens of WLS, we certainly get other long term health benefits.   There's a reason that populations with plant based diets have longer life expectancies than those with meat based diets. 

Fruits and vegetables are also higher in fiber and water content which help combat dehydration and constipation.  Yes, you can take fiber pills and drink water but I'd rather have a salad :)

And, I really love salad. 

A super ripe tomato can taste like heaven!

On 1/4/2018 at 3:39 AM, Aussie H said:

My surgeon has been quite specific about not eating vegetables, cooked or raw. To quote him "I don't care if you never eat another vegetable again". My dietician says the same thing. According to her vegetables are for fat people. They are only good for filling the space that they don't want filled with sweet stuff. They both say the nutrient value of vegetables is low, and as we're taking lifetime multivitamins we don't need them.

What!!!! I've never heard this before!!!! I've been stressing because I haven't been eating many vegetables--the protein fills me up. I don't like eating fruit because of its high carb content, but I love vegetables. Maybe I'm doing better than I thought I was...I can eat like 2 scallops or 2 chicken wings...and that's it. No more. I was going to start sneaking vegetables into protein smoothies because I can't seem to think of any other way to get them in! It would be fantastic to not have to worry about veggies!

19 hours ago, GigiGogo said:

What!!!! I've never heard this before!!!!

Life at goal can certainly bring some comments that we would find bizarre coming from medical professionals as a fat person.

On 1/7/2018 at 10:02 AM, GigiGogo said:

What!!!! I've never heard this before!!!! I've been stressing because I haven't been eating many vegetables--the protein fills me up. I don't like eating fruit because of its high carb content, but I love vegetables. Maybe I'm doing better than I thought I was...I can eat like 2 scallops or 2 chicken wings...and that's it. No more. I was going to start sneaking vegetables into protein smoothies because I can't seem to think of any other way to get them in! It would be fantastic to not have to worry about veggies!

My surgeon said the same. Always, always, always protein first. Then - and only if I'm sure I have room - I can have a small amount of vegetables.

Edited by delilas

On 1/5/2018 at 3:56 PM, msmarymac said:

I have to respectfully disagree or at least add another perspective to the idea that we don't need veggies or fruits because we take vitamins.  There is ample research that shows absorption of nutrients is more efficient from food sources than from supplements, but even more importantly I think is the antioxidants and phytonutrients (non vitamin or mineral) that we get from veggies and fruits.  There is just so much evidence of the protection from cancer and heart disease and certain eye diseases that while we may not need them from the lens of WLS, we certainly get other long term health benefits.   There's a reason that populations with plant based diets have longer life expectancies than those with meat based diets. 

Fruits and vegetables are also higher in fiber and water content which help combat dehydration and constipation.  Yes, you can take fiber pills and drink water but I'd rather have a salad :)

I would like to draw hearts around this entire post. I feel the same way! I make sure to meet my protein goals every day, but I think vegetables are important. 

8 hours ago, kristinwitha_k said:

I would like to draw hearts around this entire post. I feel the same way! I make sure to meet my protein goals every day, but I think vegetables are important. 

If you haven't got room, then you haven't got it. My blood results have all been perfect so far except for protien. Plus my previously sky high iron results had dropped dramatically to the point where if it fell anymore I'd have to start juggling iron supplements. That's a PITA for someone like me with haemochromatosis. I switched to a much heavier reliance on red meats and both of those problems disappeared with zero affect from the loss of vegetables. I love vegetables as well, but I'm not going to waste pouch room to the detriment of my health.

10 hours ago, Aussie H said:

I love vegetables as well, but I'm not going to waste pouch room to the detriment of my health.

Of course not. There was no judgment intended in my statement. Everyone has to do what's right for them. 

I've never been much of a veggie person - except when it comes to tomatoes or very nicely steamed or roasted broccoli.  I fit my tomato soup in about once a week because my soul would die without it in winter, but I put extra protein in it to make it better for the new me. 

To go back to the original question ... I was super nervous when it came time to advance to meats, and it was actually tough for me to do.  I learned that I was able to eat at basically a normal speed in my first couple of stages, but when it came to dense protein, I had to put on the brakes HARD in order to tolerate it.  At this point, I still only risk dense protein at the end of a day, when I've already had most of my protein - just in case I can't keep it down.  I'm doing much better at it, though!

It's totally fine to just progress your diet at your own speed - as long as your speed doesn't outpace your doctor's instructions.  Take as much time in each phase as your body needs!