Gin820

Getting that full sensation

Ok, so 3 weeks out from VSG. Everything is going pretty well. I just started on solid foods... Yay! So far I can handle what I've had, which is just chicken and fish. My problem is that I absolutely cannot tell when I am full and suddenly I'm overfull and miserable. I do not have any signal that I'm getting there. What I have been doing is measuring about 4 oz and eating it. Apparently that is too much. How do I know when to stop before its too much?

If you are miserable after you've eaten 4 oz, only eat 3 oz. All of your old signals for when you are full are long gone. 

4 oz seems like a lot at 3 weeks out, especially for solid proteins like chicken and fish.  Try backing off to 2 or 3 oz for awhile and see if that helps.  Full signals are pretty unreliable at this stage so you're definitely better off with the measuring. 

Early full signal for me was hiccup.  Once I did that I knew even one more bite was a big mistake.  Three years out I've just learned better how to manage so I avoid full.  It can be a delicate balance to hit that sweet spot between not enough (causing early hunger) and too much (misery).  You'll get there, it just takes some experience.

That's great news Gin.

Early out, I was told not to rely on sensations and just to continue measuring/weighing my food but if I did feel anything, OR I hiccuped or belched then that was a signal to stop.

But my guidelines for life are only 2 oz of protein per meal plus 1/4 of vegetables and I've pretty much stuck to that although I do eat more veg now (I'm over 10 years out).

I couldn't do 4 oz at that point either.....so cut it down to 2oz or if that is ok, go to 3 oz but you have time to get it "up" to 4 oz.  BUT here is a hint if you took one bite too much and your sleeve is complaining....try to use some papaya enzymes to help digest a little more peacefully :)

I'm at 5 weeks and can't go over 2 ounces of soft/solid food without feeling ill. 4 ounces of yogurt goes down great, but 2.3 ounces of chicken left me in bed for an hour and a half trying not to hurl.

Measuring and eating is part of the game early on. My surgeon said we aren't fully healed for two months after surgery, and it can take at least that long to figure out signals, if not longer. I find that the slower I go, the more I "feel" it, but I dont have any great sign of fullness either. I just measure out my two ounces and go about it :D 

I’m still struggling 6 months out to figure it out. One bite can be the difference between still having room and being miserable. I have started trying to stop when I think I have a little more room left. I’d rather not be that miserable! Even measuring was not always reliable. I could measure the exact same amount of food 5 days in a row, and for four days it was the perfect amount, but one day it was too much. I spent so many years eating mindlessly that I’m still trying to learn to listen to my body with every bite. 

I have to measure also and my eyes are still bigger then the child's plate I use.  Wonder if that will ever change as I am 5 months out in a few days?  I suppose after 48 years of eating one way this will take a lot of time.

In the beginning my nose would run if I was getting full was really strange.

Edited by tracyringo

I'm 4 months out and still can only eat 4 oz if it's something like yogurt.  Any kind of meat or anything more solid than a yogurt, 2 oz is my limit.  Measuring is your friend - I didn't think I would, but I have found my new kitchen scale to be a lifesaver.  I have a set time to be eating (40 min) and a set amount to eat, and if I stick to that, everything is pretty ok.  If I eat too much (or too fast, which is my usual problem) I regret it for many miserable hours.

On 1/3/2018 at 12:38 PM, msmarymac said:

4 oz seems like a lot at 3 weeks out, especially for solid proteins like chicken and fish.  Try backing off to 2 or 3 oz for awhile and see if that helps.  Full signals are pretty unreliable at this stage so you're definitely better off with the measuring. 

Early full signal for me was hiccup.  Once I did that I knew even one more bite was a big mistake.  Three years out I've just learned better how to manage so I avoid full.  It can be a delicate balance to hit that sweet spot between not enough (causing early hunger) and too much (misery).  You'll get there, it just takes some experience.

Yes, hiccups are the ONE MORE BITE AND YOU ARE DEAD signal for me. At this point I have a pretty good sense visually of how much I can eat too, so when I go out to eat I look at the plates being served around me and can make a reasonable choice. 

(I am such a cheap date now...)

Almost seven months out here, and I find the meat I can ingest the easiest is beef (ground or steak like filet mignon).  In fact, yesterday I ate a 5 oz filet, some grilled mushrooms and a few small bites of a salad.  I have also learned that it is better to stop too early, than to have the uncomfortable feeling of being overly full.  But at your stage @Gin820, I was lucky to get 2 ounces in, and then I would feel this tightness in my chest almost.  It's hard to describe the feeling.  Also keep in mind you can save the food and revisit it if you really were not "full" after all. :)