KARAN

HELLO EVERYONE

Welcome to Thinner Times Karan and congratulations on your WLS.

There is no hard and fast rule for weight loss the first month and it doesn't always equate that the heavier you start out at, the faster you lose.

I started out at 259.5lb, lost 34.8lb on my 5 month pre-op.  Post-op, I lost another 22.7lb at my 4 week, 4 day check-up.

Welcome and congratulations on the start of your new healthy life!  Weight loss varies from person to person of course so don't compare your loss to others', it will only lead to frustration.  Just stay on plan and you'll do great!

2 hours ago, cinwa said:

Welcome to Thinner Times Karan and congratulations on your WLS.

There is no hard and fast rule for weight loss the first month and it doesn't always equate that the heavier you start out at, the faster you lose.

I started out at 259.5lb, lost 34.8lb on my 5 month pre-op.  Post-op, I lost another 22.7lb at my 4 week, 4 day check-up.

Thanxx for the swift reply...

I weighed around 310 lbs and had already lost 22 lbs by the second week.

But when the puree diet stage started.

I stopped loosing weight

Its been a week i havent lost weight and sometimes feel hungry

So i started having grilled chiken in minced form.

Now its not reducing

Should i be worried????

2 hours ago, msmarymac said:

Welcome and congratulations on the start of your new healthy life!  Weight loss varies from person to person of course so don't compare your loss to others', it will only lead to frustration.  Just stay on plan and you'll do great!

I m hell lot of frustrated.

I did deviate from my diet for a day

But still i make it a point i keep my calorie count as low as possible.

A weight loss stall at about three to four weeks after surgery is very common. Relax. Just stick to the diet plan and the weight will begin to come off in a few days. 

I lost about 23 pounds my first month after surgery.  After that I lost about 16 pounds a month for the next 4 months, and about 7 pounds a month after that until I reached my goal weight. Note that I am a guy who had a gastric bypass, and that men tend to lose weight faster than women (just like gastric bypass patients tend to lose weight faster than gastric sleeve patients).

It is great to see another person from India here on TTF.  I spent a truly amazing year a while ago living in New Delhi. :D 

As some Indian surgeons do not give proper post op diet and vitamin plans to their patients, you may want to look at this post op guide from one of the best hospitals in Boston:

https://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/~/media/Brochures/TuftsMC/Patient Care Services/Departments and Services/Weight and Wellness Center/GBP Diet Manual12611.ashx

Grilled chicken in minced form should be fine - obviously avoid sauces with butter, ghee, or cream.  

We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey. 

1 hour ago, KARAN said:

Thanxx for the swift reply...

I weighed around 310 lbs and had already lost 22 lbs by the second week.

But when the puree diet stage started.

I stopped loosing weight

Its been a week i havent lost weight and sometimes feel hungry

So i started having grilled chiken in minced form.

Now its not reducing

Should i be worried????

Are you getting enough water? Don't forget that at this point, you aren't able to actually feel real hunger, because your stomach is still jacked up and healing. In fact you won't feel real hunger for at least 6 months probably. If you're not familiar with "the honeymoon" period, then Google "gastric bypass honeymoon" and you will find a lot of info. Tons of it will probably be at this forum :-)

So when you're "feeling hungry" that is the time to drink some more water and find something to do for a little while. If you are getting 60-80g protein in a day, and at least 64oz/ 2L water in per day (many people require more) and good vitamins, your food requirements right now are very minimal.

Read through the lifestyle manual that Res posted above. It is very good and will get you pointed in the right direction.

Edited by Michael_A

9 hours ago, KARAN said:

I m hell lot of frustrated.

I did deviate from my diet for a day

But still i make it a point i keep my calorie count as low as possible.

Sorry you are feeling frustrated I went through that and still do every month !!  I lost 14 pounds the first month. We really all do loose differently.  Good luck on your journey.

Hello @KARAN and welcome. It sounds like you're needing a bit of support right now. You've come to the right place :) 

I would agree with all the previous comments here, and especially to look at the Tufts Medical Center handbook. There's a lot of good information there. 

Also, don't be concerned by the stall in your losses - most people have that happen at about 3 weeks after surgery. Your body needs some time to figure out what's going on and take a rest from losing so rapidly for a couple of weeks. The losses will start again soon. Don't worry too much about how many pounds in the first month, either - the losses just start adding up after a few months and turn into a big number slowly, not instantly. It will work if you follow a sensible eating plan (like the Tufts plan). I know it's hard to be patient, but that's all you can do. 

I hope things go well for you. Let us know if you have more questions. You can also read the forum for lots of information you might need. There's a lot of wisdom here.

Hi @KARAN, welcome to TT. What you're experiencing is pretty much the norm for where you're at in recovery. You will experience some stalls in your weight loss throughout the process. The important thing is to not panic, focus on your water and protein intakes, and stick to your eating guidelines. The length of the stalls sometimes vary from days to a couple of weeks for some. I'm currently in my longest stall at 2 weeks. It's frustrating, but I know it's normal and it will pass. Don't hesitate to post any questions or concerns you have on here. Best of luck!

On 04/01/2018 at 12:32 AM, Res Ipsa said:

A weight loss stall at about three to four weeks after surgery is very common. Relax. Just stick to the diet plan and the weight will begin to come off in a few days. 

I lost about 23 pounds my first month after surgery.  After that I lost about 16 pounds a month for the next 4 months, and about 7 pounds a month after that until I reached my goal weight. Note that I am a guy who had a gastric bypass, and that men tend to lose weight faster than women (just like gastric bypass patients tend to lose weight faster than gastric sleeve patients).

It is great to see another person from India here on TTF.  I spent a truly amazing year a while ago living in New Delhi. :D 

As some Indian surgeons do not give proper post op diet and vitamin plans to their patients, you may want to look at this post op guide from one of the best hospitals in Boston:

https://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/~/media/Brochures/TuftsMC/Patient Care Services/Departments and Services/Weight and Wellness Center/GBP Diet Manual12611.ashx

Grilled chicken in minced form should be fine - obviously avoid sauces with butter, ghee, or cream.  

We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey. 

Thanxx a lot for the diet plan....

It really helped me a lot

Yup just removed all ghee butter or cream

I just crave for chiken and fish and having it roasted dont think would be a big issue.

Confirmed it with the dietician handling my case

Also just confirmed it with the diet u sent.☺☺☺

On 04/01/2018 at 1:24 AM, Michael_A said:

Are you getting enough water? Don't forget that at this point, you aren't able to actually feel real hunger, because your stomach is still jacked up and healing. In fact you won't feel real hunger for at least 6 months probably. If you're not familiar with "the honeymoon" period, then Google "gastric bypass honeymoon" and you will find a lot of info. Tons of it will probably be at this forum :-)

So when you're "feeling hungry" that is the time to drink some more water and find something to do for a little while. If you are getting 60-80g protein in a day, and at least 64oz/ 2L water in per day (many people require more) and good vitamins, your food requirements right now are very minimal.

Read through the lifestyle manual that Res posted above. It is very good and will get you pointed in the right direction.

I just realised you were right.

Due to winters my liquid intake was not much

I was having around 1.2 Ltrs a day.

Since your reply i have increased it 

Still havent got to 2ltrs but i m trying.

Thanxx a lot for the help

On 04/01/2018 at 9:39 AM, tracyringo said:

Sorry you are feeling frustrated I went through that and still do every month !!  I lost 14 pounds the first month. We really all do loose differently.  Good luck on your journey.

Thanxx for the good wishes.

This forum has actually i.parted me with more knowledge than my surgeon did...

On 04/01/2018 at 10:53 AM, Jen581791 said:

Hello @KARAN and welcome. It sounds like you're needing a bit of support right now. You've come to the right place :) 

I would agree with all the previous comments here, and especially to look at the Tufts Medical Center handbook. There's a lot of good information there. 

Also, don't be concerned by the stall in your losses - most people have that happen at about 3 weeks after surgery. Your body needs some time to figure out what's going on and take a rest from losing so rapidly for a couple of weeks. The losses will start again soon. Don't worry too much about how many pounds in the first month, either - the losses just start adding up after a few months and turn into a big number slowly, not instantly. It will work if you follow a sensible eating plan (like the Tufts plan). I know it's hard to be patient, but that's all you can do. 

I hope things go well for you. Let us know if you have more questions. You can also read the forum for lots of information you might need. There's a lot of wisdom here.

Thank you so much for the help.

I think so you are right.

I hardly did any physical activity before surgery .

But now i am losing weight

So , yes i understand the body will take time to adjust.

I just hope that this stall doesnt last much long.☺

5 hours ago, KARAN said:

I just realised you were right.

Due to winters my liquid intake was not much

I was having around 1.2 Ltrs a day.

Since your reply i have increased it 

Still havent got to 2ltrs but i m trying.

Thanxx a lot for the help

Good to hear! Try your best to get that water in, you will see better results.

I have a 16oz coffee mug, and every morning before work, I make myself two cups of hot tea in it. I have several very tasty herbal teas that I like to drink. I read the news etc while I drink my tea, and if I am successful getting two down, then I've already got 1 liter down for the day, before I even leave the house. 

Then I have one of these- http://a.co/5ITMDvv  a 1 liter bite valve bottle. If I only just drink one of those during the day, then at least I've met my bare minimum (64oz/ 2L). I'm usually able though to drink 2 water bottles without any issue. I like the water bottle because I don't have to keep track of how many cups of water I've had. I only have to know if I've emptied the bottle or not.

6 hours ago, KARAN said:

This forum has actually i.parted me with more knowledge than my surgeon did...

Me too. I think for most of us, this is true.