Recommended Posts

Hi guys, I am three weeks post op but just now finding this site. I wish I would have found it sooner because it is so nice to be able to communicate with people who have and are going through the same thing. Ever since Elementary school I was always seen as the chubby kid. As the years went on, so did  the pounds. Junior year of high school I had lost 50 pounds and felt great. But as senior year came and went and starting college, I didn't just put on the freshman 15, I put back on 100 pounds- I still can't believe it. But I eventually had enough of the constant weight struggle. After deciding to do the gastric sleeve surgery, it took 6 months to pass all the insurance requirements which seemed liked forever. But eventually had the surgery on 12/14/17 and I couldn't be happier. 19 days later I am down 25 lbs and loving it. But I am running into some awful back pain, making it difficult to even walk. But I read it's normal so just trying to make it through the pain. For anyone who has experienced this- what are ways you coped with the back pain? Look forward to hearing from others! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maddawg said:

Hi guys, I am three weeks post op but just now finding this site. I wish I would have found it sooner because it is so nice to be able to communicate with people who have and are going through the same thing. Ever since Elementary school I was always seen as the chubby kid. As the years went on, so did  the pounds. Junior year of high school I had lost 50 pounds and felt great. But as senior year came and went and starting college, I didn't just put on the freshman 15, I put back on 100 pounds- I still can't believe it. But I eventually had enough of the constant weight struggle. After deciding to do the gastric sleeve surgery, it took 6 months to pass all the insurance requirements which seemed liked forever. But eventually had the surgery on 12/14/17 and I couldn't be happier. 19 days later I am down 25 lbs and loving it. But I am running into some awful back pain, making it difficult to even walk. But I read it's normal so just trying to make it through the pain. For anyone who has experienced this- what are ways you coped with the back pain? Look forward to hearing from others! :) 

Welcome to the forum, and to the loser's bench :-)

I'm about 8 weeks out, and WLS has changed my life. I am so much happier now than even a year ago at this time.

I have a good chiropractor that I see regularly. If you don't, you should find one. In October, I had started to develop some lower back problems and sciatic pain in my leg that were really getting beyond the scope of what the chiro could deal with. The pain was waking me up at night and preventing me from falling asleep. At the advice of my wife, I went to an osteopathic Dr. here in town, they specialize in knowledge of and manipulation of the bones and muscles. This woman was amazing. She felt around my back and lower back, identified the issue, and pushed the offender back in place. She warned me ahead of time that it would hurt, and probably be bruised. I noticed an immediate reduction in the sciatic pain, and after a few days my lower back pain as well. I went back in two weeks (Nov) and she did one more manipulation, as well as had me start some stretches for a few minutes at night. After that second manipulation, I've had no sciatic or leg pain, and no back pain whatsoever.

My advice to you since you say awful back pain, would be find an osteopathic Dr in your area. Their goal is to fix your issue in one session, but in general, as quickly as possible. Then a chiro for good back maintenance as your weight comes off and your body changes. 

Edited by Michael_A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Thinner Times Maddawg!

Back pain is pretty common after WLS and I'm with Michael on seeing a good chiropractor.

In the meantime, here are some gentle exercises that you could try to help loosen you up a little:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/multimedia/back-pain/sls-20076265

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome!  I had back pain for quite a while.  I also saw a chiropractor.  Remember as you lose weight your posture will also change also affecting your back...

Edited by Cheesehead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum. I have never heard of the back pain associated with WLS until now. I already have some pretty severe issues in my back (failed back surgery) so this is not good news for me.

Not sure about chiropractors in the case of whatever is causing this pain? But, I have always been cautioned about chiropractors at least until you get a diagnosis on what is going on with your back. Some conditions can be made worse.

Again, this may not apply here since I am totally unfamiliar with this. Going to do more research now as I am not sure that I can handle more back pain than I already have. :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Maddawg said:

Hi guys, I am three weeks post op but just now finding this site. I wish I would have found it sooner because it is so nice to be able to communicate with people who have and are going through the same thing. Ever since Elementary school I was always seen as the chubby kid. As the years went on, so did  the pounds. Junior year of high school I had lost 50 pounds and felt great. But as senior year came and went and starting college, I didn't just put on the freshman 15, I put back on 100 pounds- I still can't believe it. But I eventually had enough of the constant weight struggle. After deciding to do the gastric sleeve surgery, it took 6 months to pass all the insurance requirements which seemed liked forever. But eventually had the surgery on 12/14/17 and I couldn't be happier. 19 days later I am down 25 lbs and loving it. But I am running into some awful back pain, making it difficult to even walk. But I read it's normal so just trying to make it through the pain. For anyone who has experienced this- what are ways you coped with the back pain? Look forward to hearing from others! :) 

Welcome, @Maddawg Lots of us can relate to your story....we all have similar stories and moments when we said "enough is enough! time for a REAL change!"

Sounds like you're losing great (don't be surprised if it stops for a week though, it will pick back up again, don't worry)....seems the weight loss comes and goes in stages and stalls are part of it.

I have never heard of back pain after WLS, until you mentioned it.  I wonder if it has to do with a change of posture as you lose?  I can't imagine it being internal and a result of the surgery....but like I said I never heard of it or researched it.  (I've had back surgery before, and I hope I don't get back pain again!)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum, @Maddawg. I'm glad you found us. 

It seems like a lot of people get some back pain for a while due to changing posture - carrying around a whole lot of extra weight is bound to mess up your posture and a lot of the other alignment in your body, I suppose - but it seems to get better for many/most as the weight comes off and the body adjusts back to better posture. I had a bit in the first few months, but it went away. In the long term, losing a bunch of weight is the absolute best possible thing we can do to make sure we have a good shot of not having back pain! (and knee pain, and hip pain, and foot pain, and ankle pain, and neck pain, and...). 

I hope yours gets better soon :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to TTF!  I hope that your back pain gets better soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to TTF! I didn't suffer any back pain post-op. Hopefully your pain is short lived. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2018 at 7:24 PM, CheeringCJ said:

Welcome, @Maddawg Lots of us can relate to your story....we all have similar stories and moments when we said "enough is enough! time for a REAL change!"

Sounds like you're losing great (don't be surprised if it stops for a week though, it will pick back up again, don't worry)....seems the weight loss comes and goes in stages and stalls are part of it.

I have never heard of back pain after WLS, until you mentioned it.  I wonder if it has to do with a change of posture as you lose?  I can't imagine it being internal and a result of the surgery....but like I said I never heard of it or researched it.  (I've had back surgery before, and I hope I don't get back pain again!)

 

I certainly experienced the back pain after surgery, and I do mean after surgery, like as soon as I woke up.  That was far worse than any other pains I had following surgery, the gas pains that everyone warned about being so terrible didn't hold a candle to this.  Was 3 weeks before I could lie on a flat bed again, and 4 months later, still not all the way back to right, though I do suspect the issue now may be the differing posture due to my new body shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hermit0208 said:

I certainly experienced the back pain after surgery, and I do mean after surgery, like as soon as I woke up.  That was far worse than any other pains I had following surgery, the gas pains that everyone warned about being so terrible didn't hold a candle to this.  Was 3 weeks before I could lie on a flat bed again, and 4 months later, still not all the way back to right, though I do suspect the issue now may be the differing posture due to my new body shape.

I wonder if there was nerve damage done to you during the surgery?  Or perhaps the way you were laying perfectly still for a few hours and it might have been pinching a nerve or putting pressure on it. Have you told your de about it?  It seems sooo related to the surgery itself that he/she should be aware of it and help you fix it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

I wonder if there was nerve damage done to you during the surgery?  Or perhaps the way you were laying perfectly still for a few hours and it might have been pinching a nerve or putting pressure on it. Have you told your de about it?  It seems sooo related to the surgery itself that he/she should be aware of it and help you fix it. 

I assume it was from the surgical table I was on which was arched up in the middle, I was so visibly uncomfortable on it that they brought in something to prop me up for the short time I was waiting to be put out, so there is little doubt in my mind that the several hours I spent on that thing are the root cause.  Yes, I immediately spoke with the medical team, IMMEDIATELY, since  I was having pain I did not expect that the IV pain meds didn't touch, they never offered an explanation, but for the most part it is better now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hermit0208 said:

I assume it was from the surgical table I was on which was arched up in the middle, I was so visibly uncomfortable on it that they brought in something to prop me up for the short time I was waiting to be put out, so there is little doubt in my mind that the several hours I spent on that thing are the root cause.  Yes, I immediately spoke with the medical team, IMMEDIATELY, since  I was having pain I did not expect that the IV pain meds didn't touch, they never offered an explanation, but for the most part it is better now.

Wow, how crazy is that?  My surgery was the best....I've had surgeries before and they've pushed me in on the table and kept setting up while I was nervously waiting....but THIS time, on the way down the hall from the waiting area, they gave me the "happy juice" and I saw the inside of the surgical suite for about two seconds and I didn't care....the next thing I knew I was in recovery!  I have no idea how I was set up (and prefer not to know)!  But I watched a series on tv about WLS in New Zealand, and when they did the surgery, they put the pt on the bed then elevated the bed pretty high and did the surgery that way, after pulling the stomach out, they laid the bed flat again and finished up. It was pretty interesting. I have no idea what they did with my body in there, but I'm happy with the results!  

Sorry about your back pain but glad it is feeling better now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

Wow, how crazy is that?  My surgery was the best....I've had surgeries before and they've pushed me in on the table and kept setting up while I was nervously waitingBut I watched a series on tv about WLS in New Zealand, and when they did the surgery, they put the pt on the bed then elevated the bed pretty high and did the surgery that way, after pulling the stomach out, they laid the bed flat again and finished up. It was pretty interesting. 

 

It's called the reverse trendelenberg. They have you almost standing up. I certainly didn't know anything about it either @CheeringCJ. I seriously remember only the first minute or so of being in the OR. I only knew about operating positions from when I had my hysterectomy. For that they put you in the Trendelenberg position where your almost standing on your head. The idea is that gravity will drop the organs they want access to into an easier operating position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Aussie H said:

It's called the reverse trendelenberg. They have you almost standing up. I certainly didn't know anything about it either @CheeringCJ. I seriously remember only the first minute or so of being in the OR. I only knew about operating positions from when I had my hysterectomy. For that they put you in the Trendelenberg position where your almost standing on your head. The idea is that gravity will drop the organs they want access to into an easier operating position.

It is amazing what they can do and how they have come so far in medicine to figure that out.  When I was in nursing school and worked in the hospital we had to put some pts in the trendelenberg position in their hospital beds and I'd feel bad for them thinking they'd be getting a heck of a headache, but then again, they were pretty sick and out of it and not caring about it.  It was interesting to see the surgery on the show we watched, and watch them change the table position and all.  It is all pretty incredible if you ask me and I am glad I am living in the time that this surgery is possible and that I was able to have it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the chiropractor and it only made things worse. Going to have to give in and call my surgeon as the pain is becoming unbearable. Thanks to everyone for the advice and warm welcomes! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maddawg said:

Went to the chiropractor and it only made things worse. Going to have to give in and call my surgeon as the pain is becoming unbearable. Thanks to everyone for the advice and warm welcomes! 

So sorry that happened to you. I had the same experience once. We do have to be very careful about going to chiropractors.

Please do keep us posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome @Maddawg, and i am so sorry to hear about the back pain you are experiencing. Please do contact your surgeon/family doctor, they may have to followup with some imaging tests to make sure there are no complications related to your surgery. I had extreme back pain upon waking from my surgery, but mine is also chronic from a work related injury - so I was expecting as much. It was under control from the medications given within two days post op.

There are many people who are walking around with back conditions that do not even know it... so I am wondering if the positioning from your surgery triggered an underlying back condition that never bothered you before (herniated discs being a common one). Either way be sure to advocate for yourself - no one knows your body better than you do! And with the right doctor, you will be set back on the path to a healthy recovery - pain control is a necessity for healing. Sending prayers your way, best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now