4 hours ago, Sharr said:

Hi, All I am going to my first assessment at the hospital on Thursday so thought I would join say hi and find out what to expect.

Hi, welcome to the forum :-)

What surgery are you considering?  

Is the assessment kind of like an informational meeting? Or more like a Dr.'s visit? 

Only thing that is pretty much guaranteed is a weigh-in and height measurement. All surgeon's seem to be different, but weighing seem pretty standard fare....that said I haven't been weighed by my surgeon or any of his staff since starting this weightloss journey.....not even at the hospital pre-op. They just ask me what I weigh and I tell them. Nice to be believed I guess.

Welcome to TTF!

The initial assessment is usually a weight and height check, followed by questions on your current health to see if you are or are not a good candidate for weight loss surgery. 

If you do want to have weight loss surgery you want to pick the best possible bariatric surgeon. Also, you should research the comparative benefits of the gastric bypass and the gastric sleeve (VSG) surgeries to decide which one seems best for you. Although both surgeries will give you a powerful tool to lose weight, there are reasons for a person to pick one over the other. For example, if you have diabetes or acid reflux problems, then a gastric bypass probably is a better option. 

We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey. 

Welcome and congratulations on starting the process to begin a new healthier life!

Welcome to Thinner Times Sharr.

Do you have any idea of which of the bariatric surgeries you are going to have?

Welcome to TT @Sharr

Welcome, and best of luck! I hope your journey goes as smoothly as possible. 

On 02/01/2018 at 12:34 PM, Sharr said:

Hi, All I am going to my first assessment at the hospital on Thursday so thought I would join say hi and find out what to expect.

Hi @Sharr, and welcome to TT. :D I hope your appointment went well for you, and that they gave you lots of information to get you started on your journey.