Rootrazz

Greetings All - Gastric Sleeve Intro

Good Morning All, 

My name is Alex, and I've been lurking on here for a few days. I've recently had my gastric sleeve surgery, on 12/20. I'm female, 27 years old, and had a starting weight of 260 pounds. On the day of the surgery, I was down to 245 pounds, and as of today, I'm down to 236. My goal weight is between 145 and 165 pounds (giving myself a realistic range, as the body tends to fluctuate). 

The reasons for the surgery involve family history (trying to avoid the chronic diabetes and cancers), to try and keep my Multiple Sclerosis in remission, and I'd like to be healthy before having children. I'm one of 4 children in my family, the second youngest, and I weigh the least. Obesity is something all of us have battled since we were young.  I'm the only one in my family that does not smoke or do recreational drugs as well, which makes a big difference. 

Per my surgical team, I'm on the full liquid diets stage (no pureed food stage), and next week I'm going to start the soft foods. Though I'm looking forward to real food again, I'm going to ask my dietitian if I can stay on soft foods for a month, to allow my stomach to fully heal, before moving to regular foods again. It should be an interesting conversation. 

Other than that, I'm a career woman with a stay at home husband. My job is my whole world, so, it's both my hobby and my work. That's until children come along of course. 

This forum is absolutely amazing and filled with information. I'm very happy to be apart of it. 

Warm Regards, 

Alex

Welcome to Thinner Times Alex and congratulations on your recent VSG surgery.

Welcome to TTF and the losers bench. Great job so far on your weight loss.:)

We are here to support and inform you on your weight loss surgery journey. 

Welcome to the loser's bench and TTF Alex! :)

Welcome and congrats on the surgery, Alex :) It's a big change, but a very positive one, and with so many health goals in mind, I'm sure you'll have a good source of motivation. I look forward to hearing about your progress. 

Thank you all for the kind words. This site has been fantastic so far (even as a chronic lurker), with all my questions and concerns. It’s also helped me to educate my husband on what our future is going to be in regards to food. 

I do daily weigh ins, and though I’m up 3 pounds today, I smiled. After reading so many stories and concerns on here, I know it’s body fluctuations and if I stick to plan, everything will be just fine. The peace of mind is amazing. 

32 minutes ago, Rootrazz said:

Thank you all for the kind words. This site has been fantastic so far (even as a chronic lurker), with all my questions and concerns. It’s also helped me to educate my husband on what our future is going to be in regards to food. 

I do daily weigh ins, and though I’m up 3 pounds today, I smiled. After reading so many stories and concerns on here, I know it’s body fluctuations and if I stick to plan, everything will be just fine. The peace of mind is amazing. 

Hi @Rootrazz welcome! 

For what it is worth, being "cleared" for regular foods doesn't mean you are immediately capable or happy jumping from soft to harder 'regular' foods. Many of us worked on that transition for quite some time!

On 12/31/2017 at 7:36 AM, Rootrazz said:

I'm going to ask my dietitian if I can stay on soft foods for a month,

37 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

For what it is worth, being "cleared" for regular foods doesn't mean you are immediately capable or happy jumping from soft to harder 'regular' foods.

Welcome to the forum Rootrazz. BB is right, even though there's a whole list of things I can eat now (I'm 7 weeks out), I still pretty much only eat the same three or four things, none of which are very adventurous. My surgeon says great, the longer you stay on blander foods, less chance you'll have have of stomach issues or complaints. Just go one eating what you're comfortable with and what you can handle, regardless of what others do. I'm finding as much as I love(d) eggs, they do not sit well with me anymore. I hope that changes.

Thank you both  @Michael_A and @BurgundyBoy. That’s good to know about being able to slowly integrate the soft foods, over a longer period of time. We were given a book on our food steps (and all the guidelines) from the dietitian, for every week past surgery. When I reach week 4, it states to begin solid food, slowly integrated and to no longer eat soft foods as a general guideline. Im going to ask my diatition about that part, as I’d like to be as gentle with the transition as possible. :)

58 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Hi @Rootrazz welcome! 

For what it is worth, being "cleared" for regular foods doesn't mean you are immediately capable or happy jumping from soft to harder 'regular' foods. Many of us worked on that transition for quite some time!

Welcome, @Rootrazz!! @BurgundyBoy Is so right...being cleared and being ready are two completely different things. When I was cleared for baked white fish, I happily weighed out 3 ounces of that stuff like it was the food nirvana was made of, lol. I was able to eat less than 1.5 ounces :) I'm 7 1/2 months out now, and my diet consists mainly of sliced deli turkey, cheese, yogurt and occasionally taco meat or stir fry chicken. I stick to the softer foods out of convenience as well as comfort. I don't tolerate more dense foods very well. Sometimes it's ok, and other times I'm scrambling for my papaya enzymes, lol. Stick to the foods you are comfortable with and that don't aggrivate your stomach. Try new things when you're ready. Take it slow, and don't overdo it. We are here whenever you have questions, need to vent or need support ❤️

21 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

Welcome to the forum Rootrazz. BB is right, even though there's a whole list of things I can eat now (I'm 7 weeks out), I still pretty much only eat the same three or four things, none of which are very adventurous. My surgeon says great, the longer you stay on blander foods, less chance you'll have have of stomach issues or complaints. Just go one eating what you're comfortable with and what you can handle, regardless of what others do. I'm finding as much as I love(d) eggs, they do not sit well with me anymore. I hope that changes.

^^^ This :)

@Michael_A, I still, after 7 months, stick to mostly the same foods every day as well. I shake it up once in a while if I get bored. But like they say...if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and I've had great luck with the foods I choose to eat. Good advice ;)

1 minute ago, Rootrazz said:

Thank you both  @Michael_A and @BurgundyBoy. That’s good to know about being able to slowly integrate the soft foods, over a longer period of time. We were given a book on our food steps (and all the guidelines) from the dietitian, for every week past surgery. When I reach week 4, it states to begin solid food, slowly integrated and to no longer eat soft foods as a general guideline. Im going to ask my diatition about that part, as I’d like to be as gentle with the transition as possible. :)

The advice against soft foods is because your stomach is healed up enough that it can finally handle denser food.

The problem with soft food is that it doesn't give you (much of) a feeling of being full, and it doesn't keep you feeling full nearly as long as denser food does. That's why they are in a hurry to transition you on.

8 hours ago, Michael_A said:

The advice against soft foods is because your stomach is healed up enough that it can finally handle denser food.

The problem with soft food is that it doesn't give you (much of) a feeling of being full, and it doesn't keep you feeling full nearly as long as denser food does. That's why they are in a hurry to transition you on.

This!!! My surgeon was very insistent on moving onto denser foods as quickly as they could be tolerated. He wants soft foods gone asap. He's even against using protien shakes and has a pretty hard line about them. Told me that I could (and should) have protein bars, but really doesn't want to hear that I'm still having shakes. That's okay now I know about it....he won't hear about them, but I'll continue using them. I'm not a fan of most of the bars I've tried so far.

Thank you all so much for the advice in regards to the soft foods @Nana Trish and @Michael_A! This is my first major surgery since being a kid (tonsils), so I want to treat my stomach as gently as possible with the transition. During my follow up with the dietitian this month, I'll let them know I plan on transitioning slowly, but omit the part I may be sticking with some of the soft foods for longer than my surgeon/team would like. 

I'm glad it's not only my who feels that the surgeon was pushing for denser foods quickly @Aussie H. I understand that they go through the stomach far faster than dense food, but, the dear organ has just been through major surgery and I feel it needs a bit more care (and not pushed) at this point.

Also, the Costco brand protein bars aren't bad (mild chalk flavor), and have 21 grams of protein. Hopefully I still like them post surgery, because I bought 2 boxes :lol:

Welcome to TT and the losers bench @Rootrazz. It's all a learning process and what works for you. I have struggled with many denser foods. I stay away from those that give me trouble and eat the ones that don't. I'm a creature of habit and tend to stick to the things that have worked for me.  I personally like the premier protein bars with 30g/protein. I recently bought their protein + fiber bars and I absolutely love them. They have less protein, but I need the additional fiber. I also like that they have less calories and they taste even better than the other protein bars. 

On 1/1/2018 at 9:44 PM, Aussie H said:

This!!! My surgeon was very insistent on moving onto denser foods as quickly as they could be tolerated. He wants soft foods gone asap. He's even against using protien shakes and has a pretty hard line about them. Told me that I could (and should) have protein bars, but really doesn't want to hear that I'm still having shakes. That's okay now I know about it....he won't hear about them, but I'll continue using them. I'm not a fan of most of the bars I've tried so far.

Aussie have you tried the power crunch bars? They are actually pretty good. They are the only ones I like aside from kind bars. They are wafers instead of those protein bars you have to chew and chew ugh

Just now, tracyringo said:

Aussie have you tried the power crunch bars? They are actually pretty good. They are the only ones I like aside from kind bars. They are wafers instead of those protein bars you have to chew and chew ugh

Unfortunately in Australia we don't have many of the products you get in the US. I've certainly ever seen that brand here. It was only a few months ago that Quest bars started appearing on our shelves. I'll keep an eye out for power crunch though, but certainly haven't seen them yet. Most of the protien bars available here use soy protien rather than WPI....an I'm not a fan of anything soy.

On 1/1/2018 at 12:22 PM, Michael_A said:

I'm finding as much as I love(d) eggs, they do not sit well with me anymore. I hope that changes.

I had a similar experience with the eggs, took about 3 months before I could tolerate them.

I'm over 10 years post-RNY and I have never been able to get eggs down - regardless of how they're prepared.

That’s good to know. Today is my first day of the soft food diet and I will try eating a bit of a poached egg. At least if I can’t tolerate it, I know that will be the “norm”. 

In contrast, I have never had any problems eating eggs.  Indeed, scrambled eggs have been a major part of my diet since about week three post surgery.

Interesting. Is there a reason, that anyone knows of, why eggs are an all or nothing food item (either tolerated or not, as it seems there is very little middle ground)? I’m curious if it’s the protein makeup or texture. 

Scrambled egg and chicken breast tend to still be foods that "stick" even 3 years out.  Fortunately there are lots of other choices :)

My surgeon wasn't keen on protein shakes, but when I explained how I was using them she was OK with it.  I have never been a breakfast eater, and in fact when I force myself to eat solids in the morning I do far worse during the day craving-wise.  Seems to trigger the "need to eat" monster.  However, I can have a shake and get a head start on my protein and it doesn't trigger the monster and keeps me satisfied until lunch. 

You'll eventually figure out what works best for you; good luck with your transition to food!

3 minutes ago, Rootrazz said:

Interesting. Is there a reason, that anyone knows of, why eggs are an all or nothing food item (either tolerated or not, as it seems there is very little middle ground)? I’m curious if it’s the protein makeup or texture. 

Don't know that there is one answer that applies to everyone...for me I think it's texture because I can eat some kinds of eggs, just not scrambled generally.  My husband makes omelets on the weekends that I have no trouble with.  Maybe it's moisture content?

1 minute ago, Rootrazz said:

I don't know that there is any particular reason why eggs are fine for most but difficult (or impossible) for others.  Try softly scrambled, poached or egg salad first to see how they sit but don't be disheartened if it's a little hit or miss in the beginning.