TP1210

Starting the removal

10 days post-op.

10days.thumb.jpg.e42cdab74eedcd9a37671f3f51efcc92.jpg

The dark color around the incisions is the dermabond tape they put over the glue. I guess it is supposed to dissolve over time. I am getting some serious itching and have to take everything off and let my skin breathe every day. That's the real down side to the compression. It doesn't really let your skin breathe and I have to keep a very large area compressed.

Looks pretty badass! It sounds like you're dealing with the ordeal very well - you're a brave man, Tom, but I think you're going to be so happy when it's all said and done. 

7 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

Looks pretty badass! It sounds like you're dealing with the ordeal very well - you're a brave man, Tom, but I think you're going to be so happy when it's all said and done. 

Thank you! I am already happy with it, the tough part is over. Now it is just maintenance and followup!

It does look like it is healing well,  though I am sure the itching is awful!  

Your surgeon did an outstanding job TP.  

2 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

@TP1210 @Jen581791 Bad @*# is exactly the phrase that came to mind when I saw your photo. 

7 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

It does look like it is healing well,  though I am sure the itching is awful!  

Thanks! I remedied the itching today. Apparently, I have an allergy to petroleum based ointments. I stopped with the bacitracin and it's like heaven!

Oh and I wear a size 40 EU jacket now. I bought a new Dainese jacket for my race bike today. 2 sizes down!

28 minutes ago, TP1210 said:

Thanks! I remedied the itching today. Apparently, I have an allergy to petroleum based ointments. I stopped with the bacitracin and it's like heaven!

Glad you figured it out! I have a reaction to the adhesive in bandages so I've had itching before with it until I figured it out and was so relieved to not have it. 

Just curious, your lower incision goes completely around, right?  Does the upper just go armpit to armpit or further?

13 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

Glad you figured it out! I have a reaction to the adhesive in bandages so I've had itching before with it until I figured it out and was so relieved to not have it. 

Just curious, your lower incision goes completely around, right?  Does the upper just go armpit to armpit or further?

Upper incision goes from armpit to armpit. Lower incision goes from the back of the hip to the back of the hip. I didn't need the full circumference. I never had a butt...even as a large man..lol

2 hours ago, TP1210 said:

Upper incision goes from armpit to armpit. Lower incision goes from the back of the hip to the back of the hip. I didn't need the full circumference. I never had a butt...even as a large man..lol

That is pretty amazing, I would've figured it went full circumference....I'm not a fantastic seamstress, but it has to be hard to get a smooth transition from front to back when you're removing a big chuck of skin from front to none in back. Not an easy job but looks good (guess that's what they eat the big bucks for!!!) 

2 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

it has to be hard to get a smooth transition from front to back when you're removing a big chuck of skin from front to none in back.

That's why they split you up the middle as well. My Surgeon drew it out for me, it isn't straight cuts, they are at angles, but when pulled together, they look straight across.

12 minutes ago, TP1210 said:

That's why they split you up the middle as well. My Surgeon drew it out for me, it isn't straight cuts, they are at angles, but when pulled together, they look straight across.

pretty impressive i must say!

Just got back from the followup! 2 abdominal drains on the left are removed! The last remaining drain (right side abdominal) will be removed Thursday at 8:30am! Feels so good to not have these drains!! Surgeon says it all looks great, healing well and I should have another followup after the last drain is removed, then I am pretty much in the clear.

Getting a couple drains out has to feel so good!

the dermabond tape is off the incisions and I have switched to Aquafor to keep the skin moist. All is going well! Tomorrow the last drain comes out and I should be able to wear pants!!

2 hours ago, TP1210 said:

the dermabond tape is off the incisions and I have switched to Aquafor to keep the skin moist. All is going well! Tomorrow the last drain comes out and I should be able to wear pants!!

I'm sure you'll feel relief at getting rid of that last drain.  I only had one and that was enough - I cannot imagine what you went through having 5 of them at one time.  Still!  Like you had a choice and from looking at your pics so far, it'll be more than worth it.

10 minutes ago, cinwa said:

I'm sure you'll feel relief at getting rid of that last drain.  I only had one and that was enough - I cannot imagine what you went through having 5 of them at one time.  Still!  Like you had a choice and from looking at your pics so far, it'll be more than worth it.

Yeah, totally worth it! I still have a little swelling, but the incisions are well colored, no sign of infection and healing very well. These scars will be very light, not dark or very obvious after a while, as long as I properly care for them throughout the healing process. 

I am heading to the surgeons office this morning to have the last drain removed! I am bringing a pair of pants with me. I absolutely HATE sweat pants and have not been able to wear jeans for 2 weeks.

Last drain is out, clean bill of health! I am going riding Saturday, surgeon says I should be fine. I will go back to work Monday!

Congratulations! Your attitude is so good. So glad you're healing well.

1 hour ago, TP1210 said:

Last drain is out, clean bill of health! I am going riding Saturday, surgeon says I should be fine. I will go back to work Monday!

Great, BUT.....most importantly.....are you wearing your jeans now?!?!?! :D

Edited by CheeringCJ

4 hours ago, TP1210 said:

I think that aside from your surgery being one of the most extensive I'd read about on this forum, your recovery has been one of the fastest.  I take my hat off to you sir.  You are one tough guy.

I brought jeans to the appointment with me..lol. I then tossed the sweats in a bag and put them in the trunk. They'll never see light of day again.

I took a little ride on one of my motorcycles today, the sport bike. I wanted to make sure I was okay with the aggressive riding position.

I was fine!

torso_1__.thumb.jpeg.da34c09335f22840a95a2ae3c2187c9b.jpeg

I just took this one.