TP1210

Starting the removal

1/2/18 I go to Stony Brook University Hospital (NY) for my pre-surg appointments. I was approved for the full suite of surgeries. The first round of which will be 1/12/18. They are doing my trunk in one sitting and my arms/legs in another sitting later in 2018. I have been waiting for this day for a long time. 2-1/2 years to lose over 300 pounds and stabilize my weight. I am not apprehensive in the least and have a very real understanding that this will not be easy or pain free, but it is the next logical step in this journey.

My weird sense of humor begs the question, what do they do with the skin and can I take it home? hehehehe

I plan on documenting the process in this post.

I started this leg of the journey about 6 months ago with a visit to the plastic surgeon with a referral from my bariatric surgeon in KY. Once I was evaluated they reviewed the documentation from my surgeon (I was seen a few times for rashes and was prescribed Miconazole Nitrate antifungal powder) submitted it to my insurance and waited for the approval. I was then seen for measurement and options. I opted for the most extreme removal plan. They will be eliminating a lot of loose skin and doing a fairly aggressive cut. I will have scarring, it is unavoidable. I know this going into it. However, the alternative is to live with this mass of empty skin sloshing around my body. I know it sounds gross, but at night I roll over and have to pull the skin away so I can get comfortable. It has no place on this body anymore. Once my trunk is healed up, I will be getting a nice tattoo piece started that will incorporate the scars and kind of mask them. But that's me. I am pretty well covered with tattoos. Arms will be a different story. They have already told me they can basically avoid most of the tattoo work on my arms, but there will be a need for touch up work once the extremity surgeries are healed up.

That's it for now, more to come Tuesday after the pre-surg appointments are over!

Edited by TP1210
more info

Congrats on your brave embrace of your next step. I like how you're approaching it with gusto and have plans for tattoos afterwards, even. Thanks for documenting it here - I think there are many who will look forward to your updates as sort of a window-shopping experience to help them make the decision themselves :) 

Scars don't seem like much of a big deal if it will mean greater daily comfort for you. You can consider them battle scars! 

Best of luck on the upcoming big day.

I saw your before and after pics recently and you look fantastic. I think you said your waist is 31" now....so when looking at the after pic, you look so trim.  Weird, and maybe too personal of a question, but where is all of your skin? Do you wear compression garments?  You look great so obviously you can hide it well, but if you're rolling over and it's not rolling with you, then you really need to do it for your comfort. 

My husband and I watched a series called Skin Tight on TLC and it was so interesting. The people had lost hundreds of pounds and had surgery and then you saw their recovery and then usually second surgery. It isn't for the light hearted since it was painful, but they were always glad they had it done which I get. I'm hoping not to have enough skin to have to remove, but I can imagine it would be horrible to have and have the rashes (I have the same rx powder as you do) and if I had more skin with troubles I'd want it gone!

as long as you're having it, you might as well have the aggressive one.....good for you! It'll be interesting to read along for your process!!!  Good luck with it all!!!

I look forward to reading your future posts @TP1210.  You have done such an amazing job, and I can't wait to follow the rest of your story :)

@Jen581791thank you, I am pretty excited about this next step. I know this journey is never-ending, and I am am eager to move on to real maintenance.

@CheeringCJ, I wear Under Armour XS compression undergarments. I use antibacterial garments, like athletes wear. They are more expensive, but they hold it all in (tightly) and mitigate the risk of infection. As for where the skin goes, it basically pushes into my frame since it is just an empty sac, it can do that. My waist is 31" now, comfortably. I may lose an inch or two more since I will no longer have to deal with the extra skin. I am looking forward to not having this mass hanging about. From a vanity standpoint, it is bothersome. I keep myself very neat and I am a total clothing freak. I never was in the past, but now that I am thin, the options are wide open and I am exploring them! But I still avoid light colored shirts since the bulge from the loose skin is noticeable sometimes. This may be all mental, but it is still uncomfortable for me.

@TammyP thank you, I am off to the pre-surg appointments this morning!

Stay tuned folks, I will post up after I get home this afternoon. I will be heading to the office after my appointments and start the arduous task of preparing the budget for this season..such fun!

That will be such a relief for you when it is over!  Just not having to deal with that should be great.  I did see your pic now and think you looked like you enjoy dressing nice!  Saw the pic and was thinking I bet you never wore skinny jeans/pants when you were bigger, so it must feel wonderful to be so small now...and when the skin is gone, it will be even more fun to not have to push down all the skin when dressing! 

Good luck with your appt today, it's probably just as exciting a prospect as your WLS was :) 

thanks for sharing!

Pre-surg appointments went well. I was poked and prodded (EKG, blood, etc) for a bit then had a sit down with my surgeon who went over a few more options, including his recommendations. Everything remains the same, aggressive cut plan with an emphasis on tightening/sculpting. I asked if the bellybutton and nipples were necessary..think about that one..lol. He had a laugh and said they actually were not. I got my laundry list of scripts, Zofran, Colace, Norco and Keflex and my 4 anti-bacterial sponges for my shower the night before and the morning of surgery.

I will be cut up, glued back together and out the door (hopefully) on the 12th. I am excited, I am ready and I am going to make this work for me as well as it can work for anyone.

Thanks for the support!!

That's got to be exciting, TP!  Do you not even need to stay overnight?!?  That is amazing!  How long will you be off work? (You have help at home, I hope)

Bet it will be amazing to have he skin gone!!!!

This must be an exciting time TP.  I know you're the envy of a lot of our members.

Don't forget to ask your surgeon if s/he will weigh the skin/tissue removed.  It'd be interesting to know how much excess baggage you've been carting around.

So happy for you!  I know the 8 pounds removed from my stomach and thighs made a world of difference to me!!  I no longer get stopped in the airport under suspicion for having something tucked in my pants lol!!!

I was in surgery 6 hours then in recovery one hour and out the door!  The first 3 days after abdominoplasty are the worst, and you'll need help.  This is a much more difficult recovery than WLS in my opinion.  But oh so worth it!!  Will look forward to hearing about your experience!

I should be home the same day. My sister, the RN will be staying with me for 2 weeks. I plan on being back at work the following Monday. I sit at a desk all day so I should be okay. If not I’ll take a few days. I’m excited ed. I will ask them to weigh the skin. He said should be around 8 pounds. That’s a lot at my current weight of 162. 

glad your sister will be there to help.  you can't even change your dressings or check the incision on the back of you so that will be helpful...that she's a nurse is an added bonus :)

I can't believe they send you home that day....that is amazing to me!  I hope you have some good pain killers and sleep it off for those first few painful days.......then I can imagine it would get better by the day.....and the thrill of having less skin will encourage you to get through it!

Yeah, on the pain meds thing...none for me, thanks! I didn't take any during my WLS, I won't take any for this. I am kind of an oddball in that respect (okay, in a lot of respects). I won't take pain meds. Not my thing.

3 minutes ago, TP1210 said:

Yeah, on the pain meds thing...none for me, thanks! I didn't take any during my WLS, I won't take any for this. I am kind of an oddball in that respect (okay, in a lot of respects). I won't take pain meds. Not my thing.

OK, but just know that the pain after WLS is NOTHING, let me repeat NOTHING in comparison to the pain after abdominoplasty.   I thought I had a pretty high pain tolerance, but dang I thought I was going to die from the pain.  Well, only when I moved.  At all. Or coughed, or laughed or sneezed.   I had no frame of reference for having abdominal incisions though, other than the tiny ones for laparoscopy.  I literally had an incision all the way around except for about 3 inches in the back. Plus my thighs.  My son said , "so basically they cut you in half"  lol.  Yes, and that's exactly what it felt like.  It's good that they gave you the Norco script...just in case.  I don't typically take a lot of pain meds but I was like, "gimme all the drugs" :)

Not trying to scare you or freak you out, just want you to have realistic expectations.

msmary, this will be nothing compared to pain I have endured in the past, trust me on that. It's not a pride or macho thing, I just don't feel pain like most people do. Pain is a mental reaction to stimulus. I learned a long time ago how to turn that off. I don't expect anyone to believe or understand this, but for me, that is the reality of it.

1 minute ago, TP1210 said:

msmary, this will be nothing compared to pain I have endured in the past, trust me on that. It's not a pride or macho thing, I just don't feel pain like most people do. Pain is a mental reaction to stimulus. I learned a long time ago how to turn that off. I don't expect anyone to believe or understand this, but for me, that is the reality of it.

Good deal!  Hope you sail right through this with no complications.  Even with complications (blood clot) I still would do it again in a heartbeat and am so thrilled with the results.  Best to you!

Mary

3 hours ago, TP1210 said:

wow, you ARE incredible!  I am not a huge fan of them (especially when they make you feel loopy...I'd make a terrible drug addict!) but I am less of a fan of pain, so i will take them when I need them.....you must have a huge pain tolerance.....and a strong reserve!  Good for you!

10 hours ago, TP1210 said:

I plan on being back at work the following Monday. I sit at a desk all day so I should be okay. If not I’ll take a few days. I’m excited ed. I will ask them to weigh the skin. He said should be around 8 pounds. That’s a lot at my current weight of 162. 

Tom I look forward to hearing how this all goes for you. I suspect some of this is in my future as well, we shall see. 

I got all my pre-surg results back this past week. I am a little anemic but nothing to worry about (time to eat more spinach!)

gc1.png

gc2.png

gc3.png

gc4.png

gc5.png

gc6.png

gc7.png

Now remember, these are the current charts of a guy who had an average blood glucose level of 412 before surgery..lol.

Those bloodwork results are amazing, Tom! Congratulations on being in such great health.

My oldest sister is much like you in that she never has much pain. She had a breast reduction and that was a removal of 8 pounds! Like you she was miserable just trying to sleep. She would have to actually toss her breasts to the side if she wanted to turn over.

Anyway, she is single so she stayed with me for 3 weeks post op. She would not have been able to dump the drains, put the bacitracin on, etc. I am here to tell you that her incisions looked like they should be horribly painful. She never took the first pain pill or even winced when i was cleaning incisions and applying ointment. I have a fairly high tolerance to pain but, I am pretty sure that I would have felt pain in her position.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Great bloodwork....i am severely anemic and it didn't stop my surgery and yours is pretty minor so not a problem :)  Only a few more days!  How exciting to be the new newer you!!!  Make sure you get your before and after pics for your own admiring!!!

One day to go!

I shall be thinking of you tomorrow for sure TP.

Let us know how everything goes, Tom!