TP1210

Starting the removal

So glad to see you are doing well and healing!  I wore a compression garment 24 hours a day (except for shower) for 6 weeks. It got to be a real annoyance.  However, the drains were probably the most annoying of all...it is a beautiful day when those come out! 

Congrats on having this behind you!  It has made such a difference for me and I know it will for you as well.  I had 8 pounds removed also, although my 8 was a combination of abdomen and thighs.  That was in March and those scars have faded to pink now, and in some parts are barely visible.  It is truly amazing what they can do!

My sister is very pleased with my progress, and....I POOPED TODAY! I know, thank you thank you...lol.

15 minutes ago, TP1210 said:

....., and....I POOPED TODAY! I know, thank you thank you...lol.

Now, THAT'S definitely something to celebrate!  t3413.gif

Super Pooper award to you!!!

9 hours ago, TP1210 said:

My sister is very pleased with my progress, and....I POOPED TODAY! I know, thank you thank you...lol.

On 1/7/2018 at 7:22 AM, TP1210 said:

Now remember, these are the current charts of a guy who had an average blood glucose level of 412 before surgery..lol.

I’ve long admired your story but I didn’t realize that you were diabetic. You continue to inspire me. Best of luck with the healing process. 

On 1/14/2018 at 7:06 AM, TP1210 said:

Worst thing right now is the itchy arms from these stupid pain meds.Time for some Benedryl. Which will make me sleep. My drains have slowed significantly. Yesterday morning, they drained around 40ml. This morning, they are at about 10. So, if they continue to slow, they will be removed Tuesday. Not much pain, at all. I must say, I went into this with the brave face, expecting to grin and bear it, but it has been pretty easy compared to what I was expecting.

As many of you know, I followed a friend in this journey. He was 6'7" and almost 600 pounds. I am about 1-1/2 years behind him. He went first. He had all 4 of the plastic surgeries in one sitting and wound up in hospital for quite a while. He almost didn't make it. SO, I was expecting a lot more difficulty. Today, he is right at 220 pounds. 

I thank God every day that I am alive and in the condition I am in, considering my doctor gave up on me at one point before the bypass surgery. Diabetes, vision complications, sleep apnea, joint complications, diabetic nerve pain and overall poor health/outlook. Gone. All of it. I am different now, more confident and the person I should have been for all those years.

Every day is a gift when you have this powerful tool at your disposal. Use it wisely and you can make the most of this life.

This post made me tear up a bit. I’m incredibly happy for you. 

18 hours ago, TP1210 said:

5 days post-op. Still a bit swollen. I have not had a BM in almost a week thanks to the pain meds, which I stopped taking yesterday.

torso 1_17_18.jpeg

Whoa that was one vicious hamster! :D

39 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Whoa that was one vicious hamster! :D

It had teeth, let me tell ya!

Just now, TP1210 said:

It had teeth, let me tell ya!

Um, you fish a lot??

I live on an Island, we've been known to drop a line in the water.

8 minutes ago, TP1210 said:

hamstersharkcompleted.jpg

Yeah, those guys are vicious, have to use wire if you want to catch 'em. Last one I saw swam right up behind the blue I'd caught and snarfed it whole and took the rig with it. Musta been painful when you tangled with it. 

TP - do you have a before WLS picture?  I found a where you posted one back in 2016 but it's not there now and I think we'd all like to get our head around how well you've done:  

Feb 2015, when I first went to a WLS seminar this is the only 485 pound picture of me.

5a60b0d6c89b7_TOMSLAPTOP-WIN_20150327_111443.thumb.JPG.f0ecb5d3e41884036ea78e27c36336ec.JPG

And me back in October of 2017 with my Brother in Law, a svelte 165 pounds.

IMG_0135.thumb.JPG.13c22ee737708f7b65d99553823ccef5.JPG

SO, I just took an actual shower...my god that felt good. Sister inspected my incisions and drains, everything looks great. Nipples are coloring back up nicely. Drains are down to a trickle, hardly draining anything which is great. I found a way to manage the drains, I have them on shoelaces and hanging around my waist (suspended cross my shoulders, think of a messenger bag type set up). I took off the abdominal binder, I have to let my skin breathe. Nurse Sue says I should be fine, but to wear it if I decide to do any kind of motion intensive activity.

sounds like you are doing great, @TP1210, and your before/after is so good....DEFINITELY A SKINNY DUDE now!!!! :D 

29 minutes ago, TP1210 said:

Feb 2015, when I first went to a WLS seminar this is the only 485 pound picture of me.

5a60b0d6c89b7_TOMSLAPTOP-WIN_20150327_111443.thumb.JPG.f0ecb5d3e41884036ea78e27c36336ec.JPG

THAT is truly amazing!

Absolutely incredible transformation @TP1210! You are a wonderful example of wls success and an inspiration. I'm glad you were approved for the skin removal,  you deserve it. Thanks for all the updates.

8 hours ago, cinwa said:

THAT is truly amazing!

I don't recognize that guy anymore.

Wow. Seriously just amazing.

Just came back from the surgeon. He removed the two chest drains, but the three abdominal drains are still there. Seems there was some clotting in the tubes causing them not to drain as well as they should have. So, we see what comes out next Tuesday at my next followup. The right breast drain came out easy, hardly knew they took it out. The left, however, hurt like a SOB! Wow, that was super painful. It passed in a few minutes, but she said the drain was pressed right up against my chest wall so it was going to hurt no matter what. I wish she would have warned me. But, the chest drains are out. 2 down, 3 to go, then I can get cleared to go back to work.

13 minutes ago, TP1210 said:

Just came back from the surgeon. He removed the two chest drains, but the three abdominal drains are still there. Seems there was some clotting in the tubes causing them not to drain as well as they should have. So, we see what comes out next Tuesday at my next followup. The right breast drain came out easy, hardly knew they took it out. The left, however, hurt like a SOB! Wow, that was super painful. It passed in a few minutes, but she said the drain was pressed right up against my chest wall so it was going to hurt no matter what. I wish she would have warned me. But, the chest drains are out. 2 down, 3 to go, then I can get cleared to go back to work.

glad two are out.  Was the surgeon pleased with how it all looked?

yeah, pleased with everything, said the incisions are great, the nipples are coloring back up and aside from the clotting in the drain tubes, everything was great.

Went for a drive today and bought sweat pants at Walmart. Got to look somewhat presentable. I actually went and installed a new seat on the race motorcycle. Felt good to actually do something.

Compression vest showed up today. I was waiting all day for this! I took a shower, dressed the drain sites, put on an Under Armour sports compression shirt and then put the vest on. It is awesome. It basically provides compression through the abdomen and chest, making that abdominal binder a thing of the past! Feels much more complete as far as compression goes.Compression is very important after these surgeries, you have to make sure you keep the incisions compressed so they drain properly. The binder irritated my skin and moved too much this, being a vest, is held in place by your shoulders.