Elisa

What is my goal weight?

Hiya!

having never been thin, slim or ‘normal’ Sized in my life, I’m not really sure what I should aim for.  I keep thinking when I fit into some uk size 14 jeans would be nice but, do I really get to chose or will my body just stop losing weight?  

I just though 12 stone / 168lbs just sounded nice :)

how did you pick you goal weights?

Edited by Elisa

I was asked by my surgeon what I thought would be a good weight for myself and I chose 180 because I wanted to be realistic about it and I don't want to struggle to keep it there. Honestly I think my body will take me to the weight I need to be and I already feel soooooooo much better !!

Good luck to you.

Thanks Tracy, you too. Xx

Hello @Elisa and welcome to Thinner Times :)  My surgeon asked me what I thought my goal should be also.  The lowest weight I have been in my adult life was 165 pounds (20 years ago).  So I decided since I would have this tool, I should be able to hit 155 pounds, and set my goal there.  I have 9 pounds to go and many people thinking I should stay at 165, but I'm still shooting for 155.  You are one inch taller than me, so 168 should be a nice number.

2 hours ago, Elisa said:

Hiya!

having never been thin, slim or ‘normal’ Sized in my life, I’m not really sure what I should aim for.  I keep thinking when I fit into some uk size 14 jeans would be nice but, do I really get to chose or will my body just stop losing weight?  

I was born a preemie and I doubt that I was a ever at a "normal" weight and I have a 35+ year documented history of failed dieting attempts to show for it.

My only goal (and I was never given one by my surgeon) was to get into the normal BMI range for my height and take it from there.

As it turned out, I was not big boned as my mother tried to impress on me my entire life - I was the opposite.  My frame size is small and I now wear a 5 - 5.5 shoe and my wedding ring went from an 8 down to a 4 at my lowest but ended up having it resized to a 4.5.

My weight was in the underweight BMI category for a while but I ultimately settled at 130-135lb which is where I feel best.

168lb at 5'9" would leave you on the upper end of the BMI range for your height.   Shoot for that and see how you feel.

I picked a weight I'd been as an adult and liked - 180. When I got there I changed it to 170. When I got there, I changed it to 160. You'll know what weight you want to be when you get there. I didn't want to be skinny and I was worried if I got too thin my face would have extra wrinkles or be saggy. 

Hi @Elisa welcome to Thinner Times.  I'm glad you asked that question as I just sort of picked a number that I thought was rigorous yet hopefully possible for me.  My surgeon just talks about percentages of excess weight lost on average.  Interesting conversation...good luck to you!

I picked a number I thought I could reach and didn't fail.  My body pretty much did what it wanted...

1 hour ago, Stephtay said:

I picked a weight I'd been as an adult and liked - 180. When I got there I changed it to 170. When I got there, I changed it to 160. You'll know what weight you want to be when you get there. I didn't want to be skinny and I was worried if I got too thin my face would have extra wrinkles or be saggy. 

Exactly

5 hours ago, Elisa said:

Hiya!

Our starting stats are fairly similar and I too have been obese my entire life. I was never given a goal. I set mine initially at my lowest ever weight which just tucked into the upper end of the overweight BMI. I actually hit this though pre-surgery. After surgery I decided it was worthwhile to shoot for a normal BMI which was around the 76kg mark for me. I hit that within a few months. While my body fat levels are currently telling me to lose more, I'm struggling to regenerate bone after a bone graft fusion surgery, so currently under orders to maintain where I am for now and worry about the rest after I've healed completely.

Just because we've never been normal BMI in our lives, doesn't mean it isn't possible!!! I'm currently in AUS size 10-12. Prior to this the lowest I ever managed was a very tight 16. Our sizes are pretty much spot on with the UK sizing and about two sizes higher than the US. I figure I'd be in 6-8 US non-vanity sizing at the moment. It helps to set yourself mini goals along the way rather than shooting for the moon from the start. Small steps so to speak that you can adjust down when you get to them. This is especially important I think for people like us who don't have a previously normal weight, because we can't physically imagine what size we could be and how we might look when we get there.

Our bodies don't just stop losing when we are the right weight. After surgery it is possible to become underweight and have to fight to maintain a higher weight just as others have to fight to stop gaining. For example I'm still under a weight management plan since my surgery....no longer to lose weight, but actually designed to stop losing. What a bizarre state of affairs that is.

@Elisa - this is a tough question. Every body looks very different at different weights, and this has to do with body composition, frame size, and body shape (among other things, I'm sure). I chose my GW based on the skinniest I'd ever dieted down to in the past, plus 10 to not be unrealistic. I hit that last week, and am aiming for 10 more. My body is different now that when I was 30, but definitely able to be a little thinner than it is now. Things will probably change a bit as I rebuild muscle, I suppose.

Here's a website that might help you get some ideas. It's called My Body Gallery, and it's got real photos of real women at various heights, weights, ages, and body shapes. You can enter some numbers and take a look at what it spits out. http://www.mybodygallery.com/index.html

That said, it's probably just a question of seeing what you look and feel like as you go. Having a GW is probably only important for mental reasons, so setting one a bit high and achieving it might work for you if that's motivating for you. 

Thanks for the all replies!

@Aussie H especially thanks you to you, because it’s so nice to hear from someone who has the same experience as me. 

14 hours ago, Aussie H said:

It helps to set yourself mini goals along the way

I find this to be good advice. For myself, it has been a good confidence booster, as you knock out the next 10 lbs, and then begin to realize "with my tool's help, the next 10 lbs will be no problem either."  I think you are spot on that many of us, it's just so hard to visualize ourselves being in a place (weight) that we had pretty much given up as unattainable. 

Elisa, my dr picked my goal weight (it was  like losing 60% or something of the amount of weight  I was OVER what I should weigh) but it is conservative.  It is very reasonable to think I will get there (I am already over halfway there and my surgery was 8 wks ago) , so I will push on to the "doctor's goal" then I will set my own and push towards that.  Everyone is different and there isn't anything magical about setting a goal, you can change it anytime you want.....so you can aim average, hit it and then  go lower etc.  I think they try to not set the bar too high so that I don't go running back to my dr and say "you promised I'd be 110# when I was done, why aren't I?!?!"  So, your dr may give you an ori.ginal goal (or say "you can expect to lose about ______much" but then you can keep going after you reach it!  But that is only doable really if you have support and information so that you know what foods work, what routines work etc.  In other words, if you do it all alone you might think that mashed potatoes are the best food bc they are bland and go down easy but then the group here will remind you they are all carbs and won't help you attain your goal like proteins will (just as an example, but there is a wealth of info here)

@Elisa

You'd think this would be easy question but it's not! Some people choose a weight like @CheeringCJ, others choose a weight that is a normal BMI. The health effects are clearly with cutting off the very high weight - e.g. if you "had 100 lbs. to lose" the majority of the benefits would be in the first 50 lbs you lose. I've lost about 90 of the 110 lbs. I had to lose; hard to imagine I will see much if any additional health benefits with the other 20 (if I get there). I'm considering re-setting my goal and Declaring Success. 

I'd keep a level head and if you can achieve the average weight loss of about 60% of your excess - then celebrate; if you do more, celebrate even more. But be careful not to feel like you have been less than successful if you don't lose every ounce of your excess weight. A lot of the people posting here do achieve the loss of all their excess, but of course people who have little social support and continue to eat emotionally, and incessantly cheat on their diets, eat pizza and sweets, get no exercise, etc. etc. are unlikely to be posting here. I'm still hoping to get my BMI < 25 and to look like I did when I went to University. (Not so sure I can make those 40+ years go away though even if the weight does go...:rolleyes:). Have to be realistic!

4 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

I've lost about 90 of the 110 lbs. I had to lose; hard to imagine I will see much if any additional health benefits with the other 20 (if I get there). I'm considering re-setting my goal and Declaring Success.

BB.....really, to me, from day one, your voice of expertise and support has just oozed "Declared Success"!!!  I always love to read your posts even if they're to someone else, I can glean wisdom from them.   So if you ever reach or don't ever reach 185, you have been 110% successful in my book!!!   

And if Cheering CJ can declare you successful, you can take that to the bank!!! :D

Edited by CheeringCJ

Hi, Elisa!  Like you, I have been overweight as long as I can remember - I remember looking at myself in a bathing suit at twelve and feeling dumpy, and it only got worse from there.  I started off with my goal set at 170, because it felt doable to me, even though it was lower than the goal at which my surgeon would consider the procedure successful (60% of excess weight).  But that number nagged at my mind, because I can still remember feeling super fat at 170 in college. 

Also, 60% of my excess weight from my starting point would be 120 lbs, and I've already lost 112, just three and a half months out from surgery (about half that loss was pre-surgery).  I know honeymoon periods are variable, but I would certainly hope to get more than 3.5 months out of mine!!!

So... at my first surgical consult, my weight was 355, and the top of my "normal BMI" weight range would be 140.  That's where I set my goal weight.  And I'll just see how it goes.  I don't think I'm particularly big boned, but like you, I have no idea what a normal weight for my body will be.  I'm hoping that, like @cinwa and @Jen581791, my body will tell me when I get there!

On the bright side, I can assure you of this - even now, just over halfway to my "goal", I feel 100% better in just about every major way.  I no longer have GERD, I no longer suffer from sleep apnea and have said goodbye to my CPAP, I can walk for miles comfortably, I can go up the stairs without getting out of breath - TWICE IN A ROW if I need to!  I can shovel the deck and the driveway and the front walk and come back inside and not feel like I want to die.  I can stand and chat with coworkers for as long as I want, without feeling like I have to cut out early so I can sit down and take some pressure off my knees.  I have lost 20 points off my starting BMI.

So whatever your goal weight ends up being?  You will see vast, noticeable quality-of-life benefits loooooong before you get there.  That's why I don't think I'll really mind if it takes me a long time to get there from here - every day on this journey, there's something new and good to notice about myself and my new body and my new abilities.  It's a great ride.  :) 

14 hours ago, Kio said:

On the bright side, I can assure you of this - even now, just over halfway to my "goal", I feel 100% better in just about every major way.  I no longer have GERD, I no longer suffer from sleep apnea and have said goodbye to my CPAP, I can walk for miles comfortably, I can go up the stairs without getting out of breath - TWICE IN A ROW if I need to!  I can shovel the deck and the driveway and the front walk and come back inside and not feel like I want to die.  I can stand and chat with coworkers for as long as I want, without feeling like I have to cut out early so I can sit down and take some pressure off my knees.  I have lost 20 points off my starting BMI.

So whatever your goal weight ends up being?  You will see vast, noticeable quality-of-life benefits loooooong before you get there.  That's why I don't think I'll really mind if it takes me a long time to get there from here - every day on this journey, there's something new and good to notice about myself and my new body and my new abilities.  It's a great ride.  :) 

Way to focus on what is actually important here! Quality of life and health improvements start so early out and are realized relatively quickly in the process. My decision to mess around with trying to lose 10 more pounds is truly a question of vanity, and/or inertia, since my body is in motion toward weight loss, it will tend to stay in motion toward weight loss unless I change my routine. All of my physical and mental health and quality of life goals have been achieved. Whether or not I'm at goal weight, I'm at goal HEALTH.