Kio

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays 2017, TTF Fam!

Just wanted to say to all of you who celebrate it:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I have already had my workout for the day - nothing like early Christmas morning snow to get your blood moving!  We have lots of it on the ground and the wonderdog would rather burst her bladder than set foot on it, so first thing this morning I went out to get my shovel on to clear the back deck and a path to the yard. It was beautiful, sunny and not too cold, and just enough work to get my heart rate up a little.  Kind of a perfect white Christmas.  Now we're sitting around the fireplace (Leah with her tea, me with my protein shake) and trying not to think about the driveway and the front walk.  :) 

It made me think of how lucky I am, in spite of everything happening in my life this past week.  I have a good home, great friends in RL, great friends and support here... it's worth remembering. 

I hope all of you are having a lovely day, surrounded by people you care about, who care about you. 

And a Merry Christmas to you and yours Kio  -  including Wonderdog.

I had to clear the decks and ramps of snow this morning - an exercise in futility because it's all back but I enjoyed the exercise too.

All four of my daughters were here together for a few hours this morning, that hasn't happened since last Christmas.

Pict of all my girls:

IMG_0111 2.jpg

I had a piece of ham..I've made everything and that normally leaves me not hungry.  Everyone here is playing games and waiting on supper.  It's also COLD!  It's 0 but feels like -18.  The sun has been out though..

wishing everyone a merry Christmas!!

Merry Christmas to everyone from snowy northern Vermont!

It's a white Christmas for us at the base of Mt.Rainier.

The snow has been on the top of the hills surround us for a few days but it came down to our level a couple of days ago and added a special touch to Christmas.  But I've had enough of it already - 2 decks and 2 ramps to keep clear is wearing thin so I'm trying to find the hose adapter so that I can hook it up to the mixer tap in the kitchen and use hot water to get rid of the snow and ice.

We had a great day too!  I was very cold and windy but no snow in NJ :P

Last night we went to the ILs (2 miles from us) ....we are very close to them.  The kids went in their Christmas pjs and our oldest daughter and family met is there  the grandkids (ages 2, 4 and 6) were soooo wound up...whew!  It was fun to see their excitement since at home all we have now is a 14, 16 and 18 yr older! 

We celebrated with our three teens this morning then our in laws came over and gave their gifts to the kids and then we had a gingerbread competition...adults against teens. The kids did a train and we did a nativity. It was fun and made for great pics!  After that we went to the buffet. I did great there!  My husband just took his parents home while I dropped our son off at his girlfriend's house and then the rest of us arrived home. Our other son is up playing his 3ds and our dtr is playing the Sims on the Xbox so dh and I are just chillin by the fire/tv!  All in all a wonderful family day. 

Tomorrow we do it with the whole bunch of us, all five of our kids, all four (soon to be five) of our grand kids our ILs and us for dinner, gifts and fun (chaos)!  :D

Merry Christmas to my TT family!!!

ps my gift this am was another 2# down!  I'm at 38# already....can you believe it?!?  Can you see my girl jogging down the beach in my ticker?  She's closer to the goal than the beginning!!! This is awesome!!!

Edited by CheeringCJ

1 hour ago, CheeringCJ said:

We had a great day too!  I was very cold and windy but no snow in NJ :P

Last night we went to the ILs (2 miles from us) ....we are very close to them.  The kids went in their Christmas pjs and our oldest daughter and family met is there  the grandkids (ages 2, 4 and 6) were soooo wound up...whew!  It was fun to see their excitement since at home all we have now is a 14, 16 and 18 yr older! 

We celebrated with our three teens this morning then our in laws came over and gave their gifts to the kids and then we had a gingerbread competition...adults against teens. The kids did a train and we did a nativity. It was fun and made for great pics!  After that we went to the buffet. I did great there!  My husband just took his parents home while I dropped our son off at his girlfriend's house and then the rest of us arrived home. Our other son is up playing his 3ds and our dtr is playing the Sims on the Xbox so dh and I are just chillin by the fire/tv!  All in all a wonderful family day. 

Tomorrow we do it with the whole bunch of us, all five of our kids, all four (soon to be five) of our grand kids our ILs and us for dinner, gifts and fun (chaos)!  :D

Merry Christmas to my TT family!!!

ps my gift this am was another 2# down!  I'm at 38# already....can you believe it?!?  Can you see my girl jogging down the beach in my ticker?  She's closer to the goal than the beginning!!! This is awesome!!!

That sounds like a lovely day, @CheeringCJ!  I got the same gift... stepped on the scale thinking "one more down would be nice!".... and got two down instead!  :) 

I started off my day right with a protein shake (one of my NEW ones that are awesome and that I can actually keep down) and some water, then some yogurt, and a big batch of shoveling, lol.  Tonight we had meatloaf (we're not doing a real "christmas" until New Year's) and MORE WATER.  I think I'm going to sleep pretty well tonight... me and the tylenol I'm taking for my poor aching back =D =D =D

7 minutes ago, Kio said:

That sounds like a lovely day, @CheeringCJ!  I got the same gift... stepped on the scale thinking "one more down would be nice!".... and got two down instead!  :) 

I started off my day right with a protein shake (one of my NEW ones that are awesome and that I can actually keep down) and some water, then some yogurt, and a big batch of shoveling, lol.  Tonight we had meatloaf (we're not doing a real "christmas" until New Year's) and MORE WATER.  I think I'm going to sleep pretty well tonight... me and the tylenol I'm taking for my poor aching back =D =D =D

Kio, I see you just hit your halfway to goal point too!  Now you're closer to goal than to your previous weight! :)  

How much snow did you get?  

Glad you found a protein shake that doesn't hate you.  I personally get nervous that I seem to be able to eat anything....nothing disagrees with me.  I should be thrilled but at the same time I am a wreck thinking what if I can and DO eat everything and anything gain tons of weight back?!?!  I guess I will always worry but at least if I worry I am caring about it, I never want to get to the point where I am not caring about it and just eating what I want!

Sounds like I'm the only one to have a scorching hot Christmas, although certainly not as bad as Christmas last year. Hope you all had a great Christmas.

Christmas in Vermont is top of my bucket list. @Res Ipsa!!!! It's been sitting there for about 25 years.....maybe one year.....if I ever find a sugar daddy to help pay for it. My kids reckon I couldn't have a more expensive trip on my bucket list than that one!

2 minutes ago, Aussie H said:

Sounds like I'm the only one to have a scorching hot Christmas,

A balmy 80 (25C) for me here. Just about ideal. Christmas dinner out on a terrace, no warm clothing required. 

It was merry, but not very Christmassy. I even had to go to work :( For dinner, I ate anything I wanted, which turned out to be more than I thought but still not that much (about 600 calories spread over several hours). And it turns out that the things that are on my “extremely limited” food list weren’t really that good (a half cookie, some mashed potatoes, a couple of bites of lasagna). I stopped at a couple bites of each, rather than finishing even the small portions I put on my plate. No one noticed (that I noticed).

@Kio I hope you had as good a day as you could, under the circumstances. Your chosen family sounds like great support.

11 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

Kio, I see you just hit your halfway to goal point too!  Now you're closer to goal than to your previous weight! :)  

How much snow did you get?  

Glad you found a protein shake that doesn't hate you.  I personally get nervous that I seem to be able to eat anything....nothing disagrees with me.  I should be thrilled but at the same time I am a wreck thinking what if I can and DO eat everything and anything gain tons of weight back?!?!  I guess I will always worry but at least if I worry I am caring about it, I never want to get to the point where I am not caring about it and just eating what I want!

I got about 5 inches, I think - which was 5 inches more than we were told to expect!  All the weather reports said it was going to rain, and we woke up to white stuff instead.  Leah has had trouble with her arms lately, some kind of pinched nerve in her neck, so I wouldn't let her do any of the shoveling out back.  And our lovely next door neighbor beat me to the front walk, so that was nice!  Then we decided we would go get Meg after all and bring her here, so she wouldn't be alone on Christmas after losing her dad - which meant our driveway had to be shoveled.  I made it through about a quarter of that (and about a quarter of the icy mess the plows pushed into the end of the driveway, ugh) before our actual snow removal squad showed up with THEIR shovels.  I was going to stay out and help, but they were so fast it was clear I was being WAY more of a hindrance than anything else.  So I headed back in and warmed up instead.  :) 

Honestly, it's such a novelty to be ABLE to shovel snow without paying for it later with a lot of pain... I kind of enjoy it.  :)  I didn't enjoy the end of the driveway, though - that is always a soggy, heavy, inch-by-inch process, and it's just as well the team showed up when they did.

Since we ended up doing presents yesterday, I got some VERY nifty stuff!  A warming pad for coffee - that I can use for small plates and bowls as well, so I actually get to have warm food through the entire 30-40 minutes it takes to eat a meal; and a lovely big heating pad I can put at the foot of my bed before I go to sleep, to heat things up for my poor frozen feet!  The weight loss has resulted in me being frozen approximately 150% of the time, so it's GREATLY needed.  I sleep in this lovely warm cuddlduds thing Meg got me - with the hood UP! ( https://tinyurl.com/y96w3l4s ) with fleece tights on, under like five blankets plus flannel sheets.  Having warm feet as I fell asleep last night was amaaaaazing.  

Re: halfway there - I didn't even notice that until I was putting my stats in my signature!  I met with my nutritionist and PA last week, and both of them said I was doing great - actually ahead of the weight loss curve by a bit.  I revisited my goal weight with the PA, and they were still saying "you could totally make it under 200" - unwilling to commit to anything more, I guess.  It made me feel like my final goal is a bit unrealistic, but whatever - a woman's reach should exceed her grasp, etc...

6 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

A balmy 80 (25C) for me here. Just about ideal. Christmas dinner out on a terrace, no warm clothing required. 

It was merry, but not very Christmassy. I even had to go to work :( For dinner, I ate anything I wanted, which turned out to be more than I thought but still not that much (about 600 calories spread over several hours). And it turns out that the things that are on my “extremely limited” food list weren’t really that good (a half cookie, some mashed potatoes, a couple of bites of lasagna). I stopped at a couple bites of each, rather than finishing even the small portions I put on my plate. No one noticed (that I noticed).

@Kio I hope you had as good a day as you could, under the circumstances. Your chosen family sounds like great support.

@Jen581791 - they really are.  I've been super lucky in that regard.  It's like life knew it dealt me a bad hand at birth, and has made up for it with amazing friends ever since.  Though to be fair, in spite of their issues, my parents were also awesome people, and I miss them both tons.

I ate some things on my "extremely limited" list too yesterday - in the form of a couple of spoons of mashed potato, and later a chocolate covered cherry for "dessert".  The candy was... fine?  But nothing I felt like I needed any more of.  And the same with the mashed potato - the meat loaf was way more interesting to me.  :) 

I'm so sorry you had to work on Christmas!  UGH!  I hope you still had a good one!

@Kio, glad you decided t do Christmas gifts yesterday anyway, it sounds like it gave you all something to do rather than sit around and be sad. I haven't gotten cold all over yet (haven't lost that much) but my hands and feet get cold now. I guess I used to have a huge internal heater (FAT!!), but I don't miss it enough to want it back!!! Lol!

i like that you set a goal without the dr setting it for you....gives you a challenge that you can be so proud of when you do it!!!  

Btw, the warming plate was an ingenious idea if it takes long to eat....I have nuked mine before when I was halfway through but that is annoying. 

2 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

@Kio, glad you decided t do Christmas gifts yesterday anyway, it sounds like it gave you all something to do rather than sit around and be sad. I haven't gotten cold all over yet (haven't lost that much) but my hands and feet get cold now. I guess I used to have a huge internal heater (FAT!!), but I don't miss it enough to want it back!!! Lol!

i like that you set a goal without the dr setting it for you....gives you a challenge that you can be so proud of when you do it!!!  

Btw, the warming plate was an ingenious idea if it takes long to eat....I have nuked mine before when I was halfway through but that is annoying. 

So annoying!  And only works with liquids for me - if I nuke any dense protein, it becomes too tough for me to keep down. 

Oh, but you'll be SO proud of me - I ate TUNA yesterday!  AND the day before!!!  I just need to slow waaaaaaaaay down to do it.  It's been so annoying not to be able to eat it, since I sort of love tuna salad.  :):):) 

Tuna?!?!  That's my girl :D So glad that it worked. 

When I hear about ppl having trouble eating I get so nervous Bc I don't. How silly is that?  I seem to be able to eat anything. I can nuke stuff, eat it hot or cold, and honestly I only had to eat slowly when I first started solids but when I eat now, I finish with everyone else. If I wasn't losing weight, I'd wonder if the dr even took my stomach out. 

I ate a little more than my 4 oz last night at the buffet....no vomiting or anything. It really unnerves me. I really didn't want that much freedom in this endeavor. 

Ps love the Jammie's....id love a pair for lounging on the couch watching tv in the winter evenings!!!

Edited by CheeringCJ

19 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

Tuna?!?!  That's my girl :D So glad that it worked. 

When I hear about ppl having trouble eating I get so nervous Bc I don't. How silly is that?  I seem to be able to eat anything. I can nuke stuff, eat it hot or cold, and honestly I only had to eat slowly when I first started solids but when I eat now, I finish with everyone else. If I wasn't losing weight, I'd wonder if the dr even took my stomach out. 

I ate a little more than my 4 oz last night at the buffet....no vomiting or anything. It really unnerves me. I really didn't want that much freedom in this endeavor. 

Ps love the Jammie's....id love a pair for lounging on the couch watching tv in the winter evenings!!!

I get being worried, but for a couple of reasons, it's probably not necessary!  You had the sleeve, which I understand is a lot easier in terms of what you can handle; most of the stories I've seen about eating difficulty tend to come from RNY people like me.  Also, I think my difficulty comes not from my surgery, but from the way I eat.  I do the small bites, chew a lot thing... but apparently the one thing I'm bad at is eating very slowly.  I tend to eat like "bite bite bite" when it should be "bite... wait a few minutes... bite...."  I don't think you're silly, though - I worry because the stuff that's easiest for ME to eat - never any issue at all - is carby stuff.  Of COURSE I have trouble with like, salmon and ground beef, but no trouble at all with a cracker....

My nut and PA continue to insist myprotein shake problem is an "aversion" - but I continue to think that an "aversion" is a mental block, not a physical issue.  I WANT the premier protein shakes to work, because they're cheap and good and readily available.  But the only thing that actually works for me is this new shake called Iconic Protein - it's bottled, and I can get it online or through the Vitamin Shoppe, and nowhere else.  On the bright side, the coffee flavor is amaaaaaazing... not too sweet, not too bitter, and tastes just as good after sitting half an hour on my desk as it does right out of the fridge.  Thankfully, my nutritionist approved it, even though it has caffeine in it. 

I think you're doing GREAT, and it's wonderful that you're not having any issues.  You ARE still losing, and that's the important thing.  You're almost in One-derland, girl!  Look at you go!  As long as the scale is going down, you're right on track.  :) 

1 hour ago, Kio said:

I get being worried, but for a couple of reasons, it's probably not necessary!  You had the sleeve, which I understand is a lot easier in terms of what you can handle; most of the stories I've seen about eating difficulty tend to come from RNY people like me.  Also, I think my difficulty comes not from my surgery, but from the way I eat.  I do the small bites, chew a lot thing... but apparently the one thing I'm bad at is eating very slowly.  I tend to eat like "bite bite bite" when it should be "bite... wait a few minutes... bite...."  I don't think you're silly, though - I worry because the stuff that's easiest for ME to eat - never any issue at all - is carby stuff.  Of COURSE I have trouble with like, salmon and ground beef, but no trouble at all with a cracker....

My nut and PA continue to insist myprotein shake problem is an "aversion" - but I continue to think that an "aversion" is a mental block, not a physical issue.  I WANT the premier protein shakes to work, because they're cheap and good and readily available.  But the only thing that actually works for me is this new shake called Iconic Protein - it's bottled, and I can get it online or through the Vitamin Shoppe, and nowhere else.  On the bright side, the coffee flavor is amaaaaaazing... not too sweet, not too bitter, and tastes just as good after sitting half an hour on my desk as it does right out of the fridge.  Thankfully, my nutritionist approved it, even though it has caffeine in it. 

I think you're doing GREAT, and it's wonderful that you're not having any issues.  You ARE still losing, and that's the important thing.  You're almost in One-derland, girl!  Look at you go!  As long as the scale is going down, you're right on track.  :) 

I didn't think about the GB vs VSG thing.....I tend to think "we're all in this together" type of thinking and never think about the real physiological difference in both.  Oddly the only think I can't stand is iced tea....I used to dnk it literally by the gallons and I can't stand it now. I've tried different floors and nothing works. So I just use water and the flavor drops.....which I used to not like, but now it's the only way to get enough fluids in. Go figure. 

I just got back from ALDI where I bought salmon since it was so delicious and easy to eat last night!  I also got avocados to put with my Mexican flavored stuff I keep making.  I never had so much fun with food as I am now....how weird is that?

It was around -10F yesterday here in Fairbanks. We've had "permanent" snow for about 6 weeks now.

The first of my kids (the 5 yo Tanner) got up around 730 in the morning and the rest were up an hour or so later. I have 5 kids total. We opened presents, and that was nice and a lot of fun. I made breakfast for everyone after that. I made my crowd-pleasing Hawaiian French toast, sausage links, perfect crispy home fried potatoes, and we had fresh fruit and fresh orange juice. We ate around 1130 and everyone left the table with stuffed bellies :-)  I had two sausage links, and 3 or 4 bites of home fries with ketchup.

We were home most of the day, and through the day I had a few pieces of popcorn and one piece of chocolate from a sampler box. Several cups of tea, several liters of water, and a pistachio protein shake before bed.

This Christmas was the most enjoyable for me for a long time, and I'm positive it's because I'm not angry and miserable about being so fat. My clothes are hanging off of me and I can move SO much easier now. I can just stand right up from the couch (!!!!) instead of having to lean back and get some momentum and HEAVE myself up! Or even worse toward the end, have one of my kids "bring dad a tow-truck" and help me with a little pull.

I am so much happier right now than I have been in years, and I've just really started to realize that (and embrace it) in the last few weeks.

3 hours ago, Kio said:

I ate some things on my "extremely limited" list too yesterday - in the form of a couple of spoons of mashed potato, and later a chocolate covered cherry for "dessert".  The candy was... fine?  But nothing I felt like I needed any more of.  And the same with the mashed potato - the meat loaf was way more interesting to me.  :) 

That's just how I felt. Like it just wasn't worth the bother! I can't believe I didn't think the mashed potatoes were worth it - very odd for me.

Working on Christmas is part and parcel of working in a Muslim country - for some reason they don't give everyone their own personal holiday schedule ;) I even have to work on New Year's Day - ugh. I get a bunch of time off in January, though, so it'll all come out in the wash.

25 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

It was around -10F yesterday here in Fairbanks.

:blink: Oh my. 

I'll be the one complaining in a few months when it heats back up here, but for now, the winter weather in Oman is pretty perfect.

23 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

I had a piece of ham..I've made everything and that normally leaves me not hungry.  Everyone here is playing games and waiting on supper.  It's also COLD!  It's 0 but feels like -18.  The sun has been out though..

wishing everyone a merry Christmas!!

I ate my piece of ham and mashed potatoes for  lunch today. Yesterday, I had sausage, bacon , and eggs for breakfast and very little else all day, half of a grilled cheese for supper and that's about it. No wanting like in the old days...

Merry Christmas (one day late) from Wisconsin!  We flew up here from Texas to be with our daughters/granddaughter for the week.  Wow is it COLD here.  -8 this morning. 

I wanted to share a couple of pics.  1)  TY American Airlines for the seat belt NSV, and mostly,  2) Thank you Lord for Ameera, my sweet grandbaby who has her Mimi wrapped around her little finger! <3

IMG_1554.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

20 hours ago, Kio said:

... stepped on the scale thinking "one more down would be nice!".... and got two down instead!  :) 

I just love it when that happens - it is absolutely the best.  Happy for both of you @Kio and @CheeringCJ