S-Melton

6 weeks of coughing and wheezing

I am 6 weeks post-op and for six weeks I have had really thick mucus coughing and lots of congestion I actually sound like a 90 year old smoker the mucus has been making me throw up a lot whenever I ask my surgeon he just says that's how it's made to drink hot tea so I'm just wondering if anybody else has had this and what you can do to get rid of it it's almost like I had pneumonia now I have acute bronchitis I was getting sick before surgery but everything was clear as far as mucus goes right after surgery when I woke up I felt horrible green mucus thick coughing like crazy and now I got for 6 weeks I've dealt with it but in those six weeks I've lost a total of 67 lb since surgery 11/9/2017... I just need relief so I can finally enjoy the weight loss... Help!!!

This doesn't sound usual, @S-Melton. It also doesn't really sound related to WLS - that being my utterly non-professional opinion (usual disclaimer, etc). I mean, I get some clear mucus when I've eating something that doesn't agree with me - this usually is an early warning I might hang on to what I've eaten - but certainly nothing like pneumonia or bronchitis and not green or coughing. I'd try your PCP to see if there's something treatable in his/her opinion.

Let us know what happens. I hope you find some answers soon!

Pcp and surgeon said this is common from having the tube run down my throat... He said the thick mucus is just how it works... But I've defiantly caught a bug with the green mucus... I've had 7 days of antibiotics, and a steroid pack, breathing treatments.. Nothing is touching it.. I just need some relief.. Its miserable

Welcome to TT @S-Melton. Sorry things have been so rough for you. I would be concerned regardless as to how "common" they say it is. It doesn't sound good or common to me. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. I'd keep squeaking until I got some relief. Good luck.

Yeah you pegged it @S-Melton, green mucus is generally a sign of infection in the lungs. I would find another PCP and insist on something like a 10-day run of Augmentin, something made specifically for respiratory and upper airway infection.

This doesn't sound at all like something related to your operation.

On the other hand, congrats on your weight loss :-)

I agree it's unlikely related to WLS this far out.  You should have gotten relief from the combination of antibiotic, steroids and breathing treatments so I'd definitely follow up.  Congrats on the weight loss; hopefully you'll feel better soon and be able to better focus on that joy!

I have had a LOT of surgery, and never experienced anything like what you're talking about here. Definitely get another opinion...and at the very least demand a chest X-ray!! I hope you can get answers and start feeling better soon!!

Incredible weight loss...I hope you can start enjoying that soon too.

Thank you! I'm going on 8 weeks now... And its still here... Its crazy... Never had this happen.. I did Google it and seems like other patients have had these symptoms rare but it happens... Just wished it would move on.... 75 pds down in 8 weeks... Least the weight is falling off ... That's always a plus!!