Sign in to follow this  
abpvsg116

Not able to throw up..soooo?

Hey everyone! I'm not pregnant yet, well I may be but I have not tested yet. But anyway, I'm nearly 2 years post up and since having my VSG have not been able to throw up. My question is this, if I get morning sickness how will that work? lol  Not really worried but I am at the same time. :/

I had a RNY just over 10 years ago and I have never been able to vomit.  Even with a stomach bug, all I did was heave but that subsided.  

That's probably a good question to ask of your doc. or bariatric surgeon if you still have access to him/her.

I never threw up with either pregnancy, so that may not be an issue.

10 minutes ago, TammyP said:

I never threw up with either pregnancy, so that may not be an issue.

Come to think about it, I was never sick with either of my two pregnancies either (but that was pre-WLS).

I was sick w/ all 5 of my babies.....but morning sickness is different in each person.  Sometimes all I did was dry heave...sometimes I threw up just to empty my stomach.  However, if you can't throw up, you just work to settling your stomach....like eating saltines, eating ginger, wearing seasickness bands etc.  

Edited by CheeringCJ

Thank you all. I have a few on some bari facebook pages who have said they have been unable to throw up so it's just odd. I do go for my 2 year post op in February and I'll ask then but I'm a couple of days late and praying for a miracle baby. Just don't want to have issues. 

While I was nauseous with my pregnancies I never needed to throw up either. My pregnancies  were all post WLS. The nausea can usually be controlled, you just need to discuss it with either your family doctor or obstetrician. Just for reassurance my last two pregnancies went quite normally and I was very healthy through both. Unfortunately my first pregnancy did end in early miscarriage (approx 6 weeks). The day I found out I was pregnant was also the day I found out I was miscarrying.  Who knows why these things happen or if it was related to my WLS. I did fall pregnant within the first 12 months after surgery. We weren't warned to wait back in the days when I had my surgery, but these days they do recommend an 18 month wait before becoming pregnant. So maybe it was related to the WLS.....maybe not!