Mrs.NA

Officially overweight

I really didn’t think it would be quite so exciting to be an overweight person, but falling under the category of ‘obese’ (ugh, that feels like a dirty word somehow), for so long... litterally most of my adult life makes this a very exciting moment. 

When I was 19 I had my first child, and shortly after that my weight just accumulated at a crazy fast speed. There was a brief period of time in 2010 that I made it under the 200lb mark, but it wasn’t quite where I am now, and it didn’t last after some stressful events that occurred. Meaning this is the smallest I have been since I was 19 years old. That’s kind of a big deal. 

My mother and my husband have both been telling me for weeks now that I should stop losing weight. Last night I finally decided to be very direct and told my husband that he couldn’t tell me to stop when I’m just over half way to my goal. I think he understands now that am still not happy with where I am and have a ways to go. But overweight... that color change when I calculate my BMI (which I know is not the most useful tool in the world) that lets me know I have changed from one category to another... it’s just nice. 

Its been just over 14 weeks and my BMI is down 9.67 points. :) 

Hooray for you! Another person who needs a TTF "Yay, I'm overweight!" T-shirt! :)

It's a GREAT feeling, and it sounds like you're doing well. Teenager weights seem pretty surreal after a lifetime a lot heavier.

I think it's a good idea for you to have that direct talk with your husband (and mother) about where your goals lie and where their responsibilities to be supportive (or at least quiet) lie. I'm sure it's hard for people around us to watch us "wasting away" to only overweight status ;) but they should at least respect the guidelines and advice of our surgeons, who would certainly not recommend stopping before we're healthy.

Congratulations Mrs.NA!

The opinions of family and friends are difficult to handle and in fairness, I can understand their concerns.  We generally lose weight at a pretty fast pace and you're down 60lb.

It sounds as if you're handling it well but a word of warning, the comments on our weight loss tend to get more frequent the closer we get to our goal weight.

6 hours ago, cinwa said:

It sounds as if you're handling it well but a word of warning, the comments on our weight loss tend to get more frequent the closer we get to our goal weight.

This, this, this, this,.......and this!!!!!

You need to find a deal set line that works to shut this kind of talk down. Of course you'll likely need more than one.....one to deal with people who are saying it out of genuine concern, and another to deal with those saying it for reasons of their own that don't include genuine concern for you. The "medically supervised,  I'm healthy" option starts to wear thin after awhile. The one that works for me with the "others" is "Do you really want a discussion about who should and shouldn't be losing weight right now?" That tells them straight away that if your weight is okay to discuss, then so is theirs. I find that shuts them up immediately!

This is awesome! It is so motivational to see the rest of you reaching goals. Congratulations!

I think that when we are losing lots of weight it can be threatening to others. Perhaps they are dealing with jealousy?

I don't know, but I have noticed the same issues. People telling me to stop losing weight. Seriously??? That is the whole point of having this surgery people!! I had my surgery on Dec 7, 2017 and have lost about 55 lbs. I feel great and have gone from wearing size 2X scrubs to work to just a L size. Looking forward to even being a medium some day. Just ignore people. They are working on their own issues

2 hours ago, Crystal13 said:

I think that when we are losing lots of weight it can be threatening to others. Perhaps they are dealing with jealousy?

I don't know, but I have noticed the same issues. People telling me to stop losing weight. Seriously??? That is the whole point of having this surgery people!! I had my surgery on Dec 7, 2017 and have lost about 55 lbs. I feel great and have gone from wearing size 2X scrubs to work to just a L size. Looking forward to even being a medium some day. Just ignore people. They are working on their own issues

There isn't one bit of your post that I don't like Crystal.  

@Crystal13  I think the people who are closest to us truely don’t see us as others see us.  After I’d lost all my weight my hubby said he never saw me as fat, really?!  Then when we lose weight they are so used to us just being “the fluffy us” that they think we are too skinny, lol!  

Crystal, you’re doing great!

4 hours ago, Crystal13 said:

Good for you. And agree, ignore those working through their own issues.... but have sympathy when they are flustered when they do that double-take on the skinny you!