Crystal13

To introduce myself

Hi!!

I just had gastric bypass last week so post op day # 9

I am glad to be a member of this group where we can all help each other.

I am having some issues, not sure if they are normal or not. Post op appt, is on Dec 20th,

Glad to be here

Thank you

Crystal

Welcome to Thinner Times Crystal!

What are the issues you're having?

Thanks for your response Cinwa.

I hope I have the success that you have had one day :-)

Issues...

Well, for one-I am sticking to the Phase one which is 2 oz of protein shake or equivalent 5-6 x/day and sipping on fluids constantly through out the day. I have a lot of gas, but feel like it passes no problem throughout the day.

After going to sleep however, about 4 hours later I wake up with terrible sharp gas pains in right upper abdominal area and radiating into right shoulder so bad that I can barely take a breath. I have no choice but to get up and walk around the house until the pressure gets better, sometimes 1-2 hours. Is this normal? How long will this last? If I am doing this now, what will happen when I actually get to the next Phase and I am actually progressing to pureed foods? I have never had a problem with dairy before.

Also, I have been trying to increase my activity every day like the surgeon said, but after about 10-15 minutes I am developing pretty painful and overwhelming back spasms where I have no choice but to sit back in the recliner with a heating pad. I have had these spasms before, but it is usually after a long busy strenuous day at work (I am a nurse on the Labor and Delivery Floor).

I appreciate any responses

Crystal

Edited by Crystal13

Crystal, I am sorry that you are having issues.  Can you share them with us so that we can help?  

And, most importantly, welcome!

Welcome Crystal. The upper right quadrant pain is completely normal. Once all the gas they've pumped into you has dissipated the pain should go away. Unfortunately the only way to control that particular pain is by keeping ahead of your pain relief. It isn't intestinal gas so products like gasx will do nothing.

Sorry I can't help you with the back spasms. It may be from how you were laying during your surgery. Many people immediately post-op sleep in recliners and use heating pads. Fortunately I didn't have to, but hopefully you won't be much longer away from your comfy bed.

Lactose intolerance is also quite common after bypass, but usually goes away after a few months.

Welcome to tt 

Welcome to the forum, Crystal. I do hope that your recovery is quick.

Thank you everyone, thank you Aussie.

I am feeling much better now

Looking forward to going on this journey with all of you :-)

Welcome to TT!

I echo what Aussie H about temporary lactose issues early post-op (lots of gas, upset tummy etc).   I had to switch to a soy protein powder for a few months early post-op.

I also had what I believe was a lactose sensitivity immediately post-op - I couldn't get down any whey protein supplement without intense amounts of gassy discomfort, mostly burping. I'm using lactose-free Fairlife milk as my protein supplement since I also couldn't handle the smell/taste of protein powder regardless, but probably wouldn't hurt to try something without lactose and see if that's better.

If it helps any, I do believe it's usually temporary. I'm able to eat cottage cheese, yogurt, and other things with lactose now at 4 weeks out with no issue. Still haven't switched to a different protein powder, though, because they all taste like death. :) But I'm fussy like that. 

Hi @Crystal13, what you are describing is pretty usual for after surgery. Things will settle out. Back pains may be helped by the usual warm baths/showers, and in the long run weight loss. I had bad bad back problems that are 95% better now. For what it is worth I was able to do yoga-style stretching after surgery and that was very useful. Best of luck! BB

Welcome! It sounds like you’re experiencing some of the normal but unpleasant effects of surgery. I hope you feel better soon.

If you search around the site a bit you’ll find lots of posts by people reporting similar issues - it may reassure you to find that you’re not alone.

Welcome to TT Crystal

Crystal, wishing you a quick recovery. Just like me, I am new to this forum. I can see that it is very enjoying engaging with each other. I am also a  post-operative (gastric sleeve) under the management of  my doctor from Mexico.

Hi I'm Anna I just joined TT .A little bit about me  I had gastric bypass 11 years ago. My surgery went well. When your Dr. Tell you not to let nothing  stress you out during your first 3 months that is just as important as what you eat it will make a difference  between life and deaf. 3 weeks after surgery I got stressed out was admitted into to hospital ,even though I only could eat an ounce. At the time it felt like a bomb when it hit my stomach. They put iv fluids in my arm and  incerted tubes in my neck to feed me for about 30 days. With that being said I'm lost weight slower because of what they had to give me but my highest wt.was 349 my lowest was 220.I have no high blood Pressure, no high cholesterol not a diabetic.I do have severe stomach pain at times. And yes I have regained  I now weight 236 u am now try to work on losing the weight again.

Welcome to Thinner Times Anna!

I sorry to hear that you had a rough start - although not common, we have a couple of active members who've been through similar difficulties.

How are you doing with losing a few more pounds?  A lot of our members have done well kick-starting things with the 5 Day Pouch Test.

Hi I'm Anna I just joined TT .A little bit about me  I had gastric bypass 11 years ago. My surgery went well. When your Dr. Tell you not to let nothing  stress you out during your first 3 months that is just as important as what you eat it will make a difference  between life and deaf. 3 weeks after surgery I got stressed out was admitted into to hospital ,even though I only could eat an ounce. At the time it felt like a bomb when it hit my stomach. They put iv fluids in my arm and  incerted tubes in my neck to feed me for about 30 days. With that being said I'm lost weight slower because of what they had to give me but my highest wt.was 349 my lowest was 220.I have no high blood Pressure, no high cholesterol not a diabetic.I do have severe stomach pain at times. And yes I have regained  I now weight 236 u am now try to work on losing the weight again.

7 hours ago, cinwa said:

Welcome to Thinner Times Anna!

I sorry to hear that you had a rough start - although not common, we have a couple of active members who've been through similar difficulties.

How are you doing with losing a few more pounds?  A lot of our members have done well kick-starting things with the 5 Day Pouch Test.

Thank you. I do ok I will lose 10 to 20 pounds then go up and down but things get to me over the years like bad relationship, surgery my ankle twice .oh and I would like o know if Crystal still have the issue with the pain in her upper right abdomen. I know exactly what she is talking about I started having that pain about 8 months after my surgery but back then it was more intense it started out like a contraction  (labor pain) with each breath I took the more it hurt I would start sweating get short of breath could not move my arms and sometimes could not talk when I would go to the er they ran different test did xrays gave me morphine or Demerol for pain . Sent me home with pain meds but could not tell me where or why I was having  the pain. This would happen about 2 times a week I had lost my job so I didn't  have insurance to return to my surgeon.This went on for about 2years the er was so familiar with me coming all I had to do was sign my name and they took me stright back because the pain would be so bad I could not even talk are nothing until they gave me something thru iv for pain. GOD IS GOOD Over the years I still have the pain very few are that bad but they do make me shut down.I am taking pain meds because of the surgeries. Today I had a very bad one that how I came across TT. I have a family member that has gas all the time and I joke with her about  it.I tell her I am the one who should be doing it and I never really do and it hit me,I searched the Web and it' s called gas detenton pain now I just need to know how to get rid of it. Can anyone help me.

On 12/16/2017 at 4:38 PM, Crystal13 said:

Hi!!

I just had gastric bypass last week so post op day # 9

I am glad to be a member of this group where we can all help each other.

I am having some issues, not sure if they are normal or not. Post op appt, is on Dec 20th,

Glad to be here

Thank you

Crystal

Hi Crystal, Welcome to TT!  I joined the forum just a short time ago and I have already learned so much. I don’t have GB until the end of March. I am so looking forward to it. Hope you feel much better soon!