Sign in to follow this  
TammyP

Magnesium - is it safe to take as anti-inflammatory?

So a co-worker who had Plantar Fasciitis said magnesium helped him a lot with inflammation.  Is this safe for me? 

I am not sure about magnesium but, I have been taking Turmeric with bioperine for years for inflammation. I just talked to my surgeon this past Wednesday about it and she assured me it will be absolutely safe to take post op. She takes it herself. I will get a link to the specific one that I use and post it. I have tried many over the years and this one works best for me.  The stuff truly works for all types of inflammation.

This is the one that works miracles for me. I believe that the difference between it and all of the others that I have tried is the 20 mg of bioperine. Most only contain 5-10 mg. This stuff is also a great antioxidant. You really can't go wrong using it.

Anyone that does try it needs to take 2 for about a week before expecting full results. Although results are definitely noticed within just a few days.

https://smile.amazon.com/Turmeric-Supplement-standardized-BioPerine-Absorption/dp/B01MXJXW8Y/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1513443114&sr=8-1&keywords=life+force+turmeric

I don't know whether it will help or not Tammy but according to certified nutritional consultant Phyllis A. Balch, author of "Prescription for Nutritional Healing," your body requires a proper balance of calcium and magnesium to help prevent abnormal calcium deposition on your bones, including your heel bones. 

I was diagnosed with osteopenia (pre-osteoporosis) but was never told that I the intake of adequate magnesium is essential for absorption and metabolism of calcium.  Low magnesium intake, as well as low blood and bone magnesium levels, has been widely associated with osteoporosis in women.  And for that reason I take magnesium (over and above what's in my multivitamin).

This is an interesting read:    http://bootcampwinterhaven.com/2014/03/18/plantar-fasciitis-treatment/

3 hours ago, Readytobeme said:

I have been taking Turmeric with bioperine for years for inflammation.

Turmeric is a powerful anti inflammatory. I’ve found for myself, it takes several weeks of buildup though before I see results. 

I do take magnesium but it is in a spray form. I spray it on my stomach and rub it in. It bypasses my stomach/ liver and goes directly to my blood stream.  I did not ask my Dr about it because I know that my vitamin/mineral regimen will change post op.

29 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

Turmeric is a powerful anti inflammatory. I’ve found for myself, it takes several weeks of buildup though before I see results. 

How much bioperine (black pepper) is in yours? If any? Just curious.

My oldest sister has horrible arthritis in her knee. She has also had surgery on the meniscus. She was barely able to walk after the cold weather set in here. I gave her some of my turmeric and within 3 days she is feeling much reduced pain.

Edited by Readytobeme

I take magnesium.  I get bad leg cramps.  magnesium helps to some degree...

My caution with magnesium is simply that it has a small window of therapy - too little can hurt you, and too much can hurt you. On more than one occasion when I worked in the ER, I would have patients who took too much supplementally who were trying to cure cramps or other things, who ended up endangering their hearts on it.

I'm by no means saying don't take it - it can truly help with a myriad of small problems that crop up. Just understand that like potassium, it has the ability to affect your heart and your breathing in potentially severe ways, and that if you are taking it, your physician should be aware, and after you've been taking it for a week or two, you should have a blood level drawn to make sure you're therapeutic. 

I take magnesium, but not for inflammation. I had 3 parathyroids removed last year, along with my thyroid, and I need it to keep my levels normal. As well as keeping the leg/muscle cramps and tingling to a minimum.

I never knew it could be used as an anti inflammatory...I wonder if that's part of the reason why my backnfeels so much better, @delilas?

I started taking magnesium (over and above what's in my multivitamins) when I was diagnosed with osteopenia (pre-osteoporosis).

"Magnesium helps to make a hormone that your body uses in order to absorb calcium. This is important.  If you are taking calcium supplements and not getting enough magnesium, the calcium is NOT able to be used for bone building. It is either going into the toilet or as Dr. Nan Fuchs states, "the calcium ends up in your joints, organs and other soft tissue..." This is one of the causes of painful joints.".

This thread is a good read too:  Magnesium deficiency in RNY patient - Hypomagnesaemia

9 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

I take magnesium, but not for inflammation. I had 3 parathyroids removed last year, along with my thyroid, and I need it to keep my levels normal. As well as keeping the leg/muscle cramps and tingling to a minimum.

I never knew it could be used as an anti inflammatory...I wonder if that's part of the reason why my backnfeels so much better, @delilas?

Could be! Losing lots of weight certainly helps as well. :lol: Studies have gone both ways on magnesium supplementation, some showing not much improvement over placebo, but one large study in specific to women, showed benefit to several different inflammation markers in the blood. 

"Overall, magnesium and zinc co-supplementation, compared with the placebo, for 12 weeks among PCOS women had beneficial effects on serum hs-CRP, plasma PCO, TAC, and gene expression of IL-1 and TNF-α" (source abstract).

Just as a follow-up, while I haven't been taking too much magnesium, a friend with a significant Achilles injury told me about a product called DMSO.  I have used this gel 1xdaily on my foot/heel for two days.  The results have been great so far.  I can now wear my flat dress shoes to work.  My pain level is so much lower.  I plan to give this one week and if still feeling good I will swap some biking time for treadmill time.  I ordered the DMSO gel from Amazon.

60 Minutes did a story on DMSO in the 80s (linked below).