Lauraw96

Turkey and stuffing ?

When are we allowed to have ? Nothing in my diet about turkey meat only every other kind of meat. And I’m guessing can’t have stuffing until after 3 months post op? 

My programme lists chicken and turkey at the same time so if you're cleared for chicken, you should be OK with turkey although take it easy - it can be drier than chicken.

Stuffing is a different matter.  You'll be cleared for it by 3 months I'm sure but whether and how much you want to eat is up to you.  Personally, I don't eat it.

Well nothing for me on Christmas but mashed potatoes! Haha

Laura - did they give you a diet plan?  

2 hours ago, Lauraw96 said:

Well nothing for me on Christmas but mashed potatoes!

AND being placed on the road to a thinner you!! I had nothing on Thanksgiving, except joy and happiness that I was finally on the loser's bench! Make this the best Christmas dinner ever by remembering where you are :-)

At the risk of upsetting the Apple cart, mashed potatoes have nothing nutritional for you.  Neither does stuffing, it's empty carbs.  And takes up valuable space that much needed protein could be taking up.  Right now you should be focused on protein and liquids, keeping carbs at a bare minimum for maximum weight loss.  Use the time as Michael suggested, enjoying the people...

6 hours ago, Lauraw96 said:

When are we allowed to have ? Nothing in my diet about turkey meat only every other kind of meat. And I’m guessing can’t have stuffing until after 3 months post op? 

Meat is meat is meat is protein. A turkey is a chicken is a duck is a goose is a squab is a capon is a pheasant. If you eat ham that's fine. Lists generated by surgical teams are just focused on what is the most commonly eaten foods are are guidance, Not the Ten Commandments. 

If you need to, cut up or cube turkey meat into broth so it's soft and enjoy it, sprinkle on some savory cheese like parmesan if you need to enhance it's flavor and nuke it.  For turkey dinners now (9 months out) I eat the dark meat (way tastier and less dry than that awful white stuff, lol) and eat at most 1/4 bite of Aunt Suzie's stuffing to be able to say it's delicious. But seriously! Stuffing is pure carbs. Why sabotage yourself just to fit into your OLD IDEAS of how to eat that led to obesity?

Could you have it at 3 months? Yes.... but how will you lose weight in the weight loss phase eating bread?? Ditto for mashed potatoes. Those = Designed by the Weight Loss Devils to Put On The Fat. Put  the 1/4 bite on your plate only if you really really have to (you don't), say it's good, then firmly say that your diet does not allow you to eat more.... and move on, e.g. away from the carbs. I tell Aunt Suzie now before dinner that I love her food but my medical advice is that I cannot eat even her pie, her spectacular mashed, whatever and I know she understands that I love her but I am not confusing loving her food with loving her. Usually that results in a peck on the cheek and FULL SUPPORT from the family. My family cares more about my health than if I eat someone's special treat food. 

Now you've had surgery. Now you are taking control of your life. Control 

Now it's the Brave New World of NOT eating the same garbage that got you into trouble. It's the people who are important at these celebratory family dinners. Focus on your protein and liquids. Be relentlessly devoted to your health and get your family behind you (sometimes you just need to take a 2x4 to their heads with a little love tap, as my Dad used to say). If they love you they will not focus on their pie, they will praise you and love you for your strength and resolve. You may have to help reorient them, but there you have it. I've now been through at least a dozen turkey dinners or celebratory dinners since surgery and NO ONE REALLY CARES if you eat the garbage carbos or not. They care ABOUT YOU.

Good luck. Post here for tough love advice, encouragement, sympathy. ALWAYS BE TRUE TO YOURSELF.

Best wishes, BB

Edited by BurgundyBoy
added more encouragement

Potatoes have a lot of vitamin C and some varieties like russet have a few grams of protein. I've always been a good Irish meat and potatoes guy. I don't eat potatoes that often, I just don't ban anything completely. My sweet tooth is long gone, so sugars have banned themselves from my eating plan.

This guide on what to eat after weight loss surgery from a wonderful hospital in Boston should be helpful to you (note that VSG and gastric bypass have the same food plans in most weight loss surgery programs):

https://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/~/media/Brochures/TuftsMC/Patient Care Services/Departments and Services/Weight and Wellness Center/GBP Diet Manual12611.ashx

On 12/16/2017 at 10:00 AM, tmcgee said:

Potatoes have a lot of vitamin C and some varieties like russet have a few grams of protein. I've always been a good Irish meat and potatoes guy. I don't eat potatoes that often, I just don't ban anything completely. My sweet tooth is long gone, so sugars have banned themselves from my eating plan.

Like tom, I used to eat a lot of specific carbos like rice... now it's a not-often things, but not totally banned.