pandygirl

Newbie Getting VSG

Hi, all---

I'm scheduled to have my VSG this coming Monday, Dec. 18th. I just turned 47 two weeks ago, am female, started at 212 lbs and have an ideal goal weight of 120, but I could be happy at 130. I've opted for surgery because I have a few co-morbidities and PCOS, which have made it very easy for me to gain weight and very difficult for me to lose it. I've struggled with my weight for about 20 years and enough is enough. I have a 13-year-old son and a husband with whom I want to spend a lot of time and annoy for as long as possible. :D I'm looking forward to being, feeling, and looking healthy again!

Welcome to tt and i will keep you in my thoughts Monday as you join us on the loosers bench

Welcome to Thinner Times pandygirl.

3 hours ago, pandygirl said:

Hi, all---

I'm scheduled to have my VSG this coming Monday, Dec. 18th. I just turned 47 two weeks ago, am female, started at 212 lbs and have an ideal goal weight of 120, but I could be happy at 130. I've opted for surgery because I have a few co-morbidities and PCOS, which have made it very easy for me to gain weight and very difficult for me to lose it. I've struggled with my weight for about 20 years and enough is enough. I have a 13-year-old son and a husband with whom I want to spend a lot of time and annoy for as long as possible. :D I'm looking forward to being, feeling, and looking healthy again!

Welcome! Wanting to be around longer for your kids is a powerful motivator! I have 5, ages 3-13 :-)

Welcome to the forum, pandygirl. You sound like you will fit in here quite nicely ;)

I too will be thinking of you on Monday. Please post and give us an update on how you are doing when you are able to.

Good luck!

Thank you, everyone! I made it! My surgeon discovered a hiatal hernia that was missed during my upper GI study earlier this year, so he had to repair that, too. I went home late afternoon the next day, December 19th. Each day I awaken feeling better than the day before, but I must say, I feel like I feel hungry all the time. :unsure: Pretty disapppointed about that. I was hoping I'd be part of the 55% who don't feel hunger after VSG, but alas, it's not to be. I've read through the forums here and found posts where other VSG'ers complained of the same thing and people suggested it was stomach acids or something else, but the PPI he prescribed me doesn't make the sensation go away. Also, the sensation is not in my lower abdomen. It's up high where my stomach is located. Oh well, it is what it is. I will deal with it and work through it.

My blood sugar has gone from 195 the week before surgery to 105 as of this morning. It was gone down a bit each day. I was sent home with instructions to NOT take my Glucophage. I'm thrilled about my numbers. This was one of the main reasons I wanted to have bariatric surgery.

I have 7 incisions! Maybe because of the hernia? All the videos and pictures I've seen have only ever shown 5 or 6 incisions. I have my first post-op visit on the 28th, so I'll ask about it then because I'm curious.

Let's see...what else...

Oh, after a terrible slow-down of my , ahem, body functions, I was finally able this afternoon, for the first time since last Sunday, to commune deeply with nature. Looking forward to a regular occurence of these mystical experiences from here on out. :D

The week before I started my pre-op liquid diet, we had a 5-day trip to NYC. When we got home, I'd lost 4 lbs. The week of the liquid diet, I lost 6 more pounds. I gained back 3 lbs during my hospital stay, but since then have lost several more pounds to bring my grand total to 17.2 lbs since NYC, but only 7.2 since surgery on Monday.So I'm down from 212 to 195-something. I'm not complaining!

Welcome to the loser's bench @pandygirl!!  Glad to hear things are going well and you are making good progress.  Keep up the good work! :)

Welcome to the losers bench!!! 

Glad to hear you’re recovering well, even communing with nature! ;) Sorry the hunger is there - it may change as you heal, and also with some practice trying to short-circuit your body’s head hunger cycle. Fingers crossed. 

Don't get too hung up on he scale numbers yet (easier said than done) as the healing process is still very much underway. My stomach felt poofy and sort of distended for a few weeks afterward, which I’m sure was reflected in the scale readings. 

Best of luck through the food stages! :) 

That is so exciting about your blood sugar - congrats and welcome!  Right after surgery I didn't know how I was going to feel about food, so I think I was a little afraid of it or of experiencing the "wanting" of it, like I was always going to be wanting food that I wasn't going to be eating.  I don't know that I felt hunger, except probably some head hunger.  As I moved through the phases and learned how to tell when I was actually needing some food, I settled into what seems to have become a new normal.  If I stay on top of my meals and snacks, I rarely feel any real or head hunger.  I had a different procedure than you did, but there are still some similarities in this aspect, I think.  Hopefully the hunger, whatever form it is, will subside soon.

Congratulations on joining us on the losers bench pandygirl!  

Don't forget to update your profile with your new stats.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:28 PM, pandygirl said:

Thank you, everyone! I made it! My surgeon discovered a hiatal hernia that was missed during my upper GI study earlier this year, so he had to repair that, too. I went home late afternoon the next day, December 19th. Each day I awaken feeling better than the day before, but I must say, I feel like I feel hungry all the time. :unsure: Pretty disapppointed about that. I was hoping I'd be part of the 55% who don't feel hunger after VSG, but alas, it's not to be. I've read through the forums here and found posts where other VSG'ers complained of the same thing and people suggested it was stomach acids or something else, but the PPI he prescribed me doesn't make the sensation go away. Also, the sensation is not in my lower abdomen. It's up high where my stomach is located. Oh well, it is what it is. I will deal with it and work through it.

My blood sugar has gone from 195 the week before surgery to 105 as of this morning. It was gone down a bit each day. I was sent home with instructions to NOT take my Glucophage. I'm thrilled about my numbers. This was one of the main reasons I wanted to have bariatric surgery.

I have 7 incisions! Maybe because of the hernia? All the videos and pictures I've seen have only ever shown 5 or 6 incisions. I have my first post-op visit on the 28th, so I'll ask about it then because I'm curious.

Let's see...what else...

Oh, after a terrible slow-down of my , ahem, body functions, I was finally able this afternoon, for the first time since last Sunday, to commune deeply with nature. Looking forward to a regular occurence of these mystical experiences from here on out. :D

The week before I started my pre-op liquid diet, we had a 5-day trip to NYC. When we got home, I'd lost 4 lbs. The week of the liquid diet, I lost 6 more pounds. I gained back 3 lbs during my hospital stay, but since then have lost several more pounds to bring my grand total to 17.2 lbs since NYC, but only 7.2 since surgery on Monday.So I'm down from 212 to 195-something. I'm not complaining!

The ppi does not take care of the acid all the time so I pop tums or rolaids when I feel hunger sensation and 95% of the time that will take care of it.  You may want to try it

On 12/23/2017 at 3:28 PM, pandygirl said:

............have 7 incisions! Maybe because of the hernia? All the videos and pictures I've seen have only ever shown 5 or 6 incisions. I have my first post-op visit on the 28th, so I'll ask about it then because I'm curious.

I had an umbilical hernia repair at the same time as my RNY and had 8 incisions/portholes - one was for the drain (there's a photo in my gallery).

3 hours ago, tracyringo said:

The ppi does not take care of the acid all the time so I pop tums or rolaids when I feel hunger sensation and 95% of the time that will take care of it.  You may want to try it

I will! Thanks for the tip!

Welcome to the losers bench! Nice Christmas gift to yourself and your family! Best of luck to you!