kayak19

Halfway to Goal Today

Not only am I halfway to my goal, it is also a snow day, so an unexpected day off to celebrate!  My surgeon's practice doesn't really set weight loss goals, but rather provides information regarding the average percentage of weight loss for the various WLS procedures.  So this halfway mark correlates with a goal that I sort of arbitrarily set for myself.  My doctor is happy with my progress thus far.  

I'm wondering, knowing that everyone is different, should I anticipate approximately the same rate of weight loss during the next 6 months, assuming my honeymoon period continues?  And besides working the program, did anyone do anything differently to help with continued success during the second half of their journey? 

I'm not having issues complying with the protein requirements, avoiding carbs, or unhealthy snacking and have adopted an increasingly challenging exercise program which I am enjoying and so far includes biking, strength training and yoga.  I'm currently unable to do a lot of walking due to a foot issue, but have noticed that my daily steps are increasing over time.  Vitamins are going well; if there is anything I miss on from day to day, I know I could be drinking more water, so I've been trying to focus on that for short term goals.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - I've already benefitted tremendously from all of the wisdom to be found on this forum.  Thank you!

Congratulations Kayak - you're doing an amazing job.

My weight loss certainly slowed down.  I lost 55lb in the first 6 months post-RNY and a further 36lb in the following 6 months. 

But in fairness, with my starting BMI of 43.2 and then losing close to 35lb on my preop, it would be wrong to compare and your starting BMI was higher too.

49 minutes ago, cinwa said:

Congratulations Kayak - you're doing an amazing job.

My weight loss certainly slowed down.  I lost 55lb in the first 6 months post-RNY and a further 36lb in the following 6 months. 

But in fairness, with my starting BMI of 43.2 and then losing close to 35lb on my preop, it would be wrong to compare and your starting BMI was higher too (62.2).

Thanks, @cinwa!  I know it's so hard to compare.  Just thinking ahead and wanting to make the most of this time.  

Hi @kayak19, and congrats on this important milestone! Good for you! It sounds like you are doing really well with everything. Gradual increases of activity over time are great - if you're able to be active now, just think how great you'll do in a few months, when it's so much easier because you're lighter :) 

It looks like on your ticker that you're losing a bit faster than I was during the first six months out. I lost really steadily until last month when I "slowed" down to 10 pounds, and then this month I've lost 8. But I'm really close to goal, so that's to be expected. I didn't slow down at 6 months, though, for sure. I think since your starting weight was a bit higher, you'll probably keep losing at a good clip for a while, just because your calorie deficit is still very significant. Keep doing what you're doing!

At six months, I basically was doing what I had already been doing since 3 or 4 months, and I have kept doing that until now, with (like you) a gradual increase in exercise. It certainly seems like you wouldn't be amiss to continue as you have been. I hope this goes smoothly for you - after such significant losses, you must be feeling really great! I hope you're enjoying life in your changing shape.

12 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

Hi @kayak19, and congrats on this important milestone! Good for you! It sounds like you are doing really well with everything. Gradual increases of activity over time are great - if you're able to be active now, just think how great you'll do in a few months, when it's so much easier because you're lighter :) 

It looks like on your ticker that you're losing a bit faster than I was during the first six months out. I lost really steadily until last month when I "slowed" down to 10 pounds, and then this month I've lost 8. But I'm really close to goal, so that's to be expected. I didn't slow down at 6 months, though, for sure. I think since your starting weight was a bit higher, you'll probably keep losing at a good clip for a while, just because your calorie deficit is still very significant. Keep doing what you're doing!

At six months, I basically was doing what I had already been doing since 3 or 4 months, and I have kept doing that until now, with (like you) a gradual increase in exercise. It certainly seems like you wouldn't be amiss to continue as you have been. I hope this goes smoothly for you - after such significant losses, you must be feeling really great! I hope you're enjoying life in your changing shape.

Thanks, @Jen581791 - being active has been increasingly easier with a lot less back and knee pain and also increased stamina.  Appreciate your insight and advice to keep going as I have been.  I feel like I'm in this zone of focus and foods around me aren't even all that tempting right now, so that and the lack of appetite really help.  Hope it continues!

I'm sure we'll be congratulating you any day now with your most exciting milestone of all!

2 hours ago, kayak19 said:

Thanks, @cinwa!  I know it's so hard to compare.  Just thinking ahead and wanting to make the most of this time.  

I know it's difficult but try not to compare yourself to others.  That will just drive you mad.

This is your journey - enjoy it.

Way to go! That is so awesome! 

Thanks, @Gretta!  Looks like you've hit this milestone as well - great job!

Congrats Kayak !!  Halfway to goal must be a great feeling

3 hours ago, kayak19 said:

Thanks, @Gretta!  Looks like you've hit this milestone as well - great job!

Thanks for noticing! It feels great!

10 hours ago, cinwa said:

I know it's difficult but try not to compare yourself to others.  That will just drive you mad.

This is your journey - enjoy it.

@kayak19 Statistically you will slow down, if you look at WLS studies that track weights by month. But some people (some have even posted in this thread) have lost pretty consistently. The average is never the individual path. I sort of doubt people who post here are the average person with WLS, since the average includes people who cheat on their diet, lie to themselves, and continue to eat jelly donuts (cut up, of course, to fit their tiny stomachs). 

But I agree with @cinwa: in this direction lies Madness, Regret, Despair, Emotional Ruin, and worst of all, bigger Psychotherapy Bills. 

On 12/14/2017 at 9:07 AM, kayak19 said:

Not only am I halfway to my goal, it is also a snow day, so an unexpected day off to celebrate!  My surgeon's practice doesn't really set weight loss goals, but rather provides information regarding the average percentage of weight loss for the various WLS procedures.  So this halfway mark correlates with a goal that I sort of arbitrarily set for myself.  My doctor is happy with my progress thus far.  

I'm wondering, knowing that everyone is different, should I anticipate approximately the same rate of weight loss during the next 6 months, assuming my honeymoon period continues?  And besides working the program, did anyone do anything differently to help with continued success during the second half of their journey? 

I'm not having issues complying with the protein requirements, avoiding carbs, or unhealthy snacking and have adopted an increasingly challenging exercise program which I am enjoying and so far includes biking, strength training and yoga.  I'm currently unable to do a lot of walking due to a foot issue, but have noticed that my daily steps are increasing over time.  Vitamins are going well; if there is anything I miss on from day to day, I know I could be drinking more water, so I've been trying to focus on that for short term goals.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - I've already benefitted tremendously from all of the wisdom to be found on this forum.  Thank you!

Big congrats to you! 

Also I admire your dedication to the exercise aspect of it. I've begun some weight lifting exercises at home, but as far the aerobic stuff goes, I'm dreading it. I find treadmills, elipticals etc mind-numbingly boring! I need to figure something out there.

1 hour ago, Michael_A said:

Big congrats to you! 

Also I admire your dedication to the exercise aspect of it. I've begun some weight lifting exercises at home, but as far the aerobic stuff goes, I'm dreading it. I find treadmills, elipticals etc mind-numbingly boring! I need to figure something out there.

Thanks, @Michael_A!   It feels different than other times when I've joined gyms or started exercise programs.  Trying to help minimize the saggy skin issue, for one, and also just wanting to use the momentum and positive energy from the weight loss to capitalize on building good active habits.  When left to my own devices, I can while away whole days reading and playing around on my computer, so I have to sometimes push myself to be active.  I have a recumbent bike in the middle of my living room (my husband put a santa hat on it when we decorated) so I can easily distract myself with movies, etc.  I agree that it is incredibly boring!  But it does feel great to feel more fit; I can feel a difference already.  I'm hoping to follow the lead of others on this forum and do some long bike trips this summer. #skinnygoals : )

2 hours ago, kayak19 said:

I have a recumbent bike in the middle of my living room

Yay!  I just got a recumbent bike for Christmas.  I also cannot do the treadmill/walk due to a foot issue.  I was pleased this week that even though I can no longer walk for exercise, I still lost weight by biking.  Biking + HGTV = Not the least bit boring! :)

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:24 AM, BurgundyBoy said:

@kayak19 Statistically you will slow down, if you look at WLS studies that track weights by month. But some people (some have even posted in this thread) have lost pretty consistently. The average is never the individual path. I sort of doubt people who post here are the average person with WLS, since the average includes people who cheat on their diet, lie to themselves, and continue to eat jelly donuts (cut up, of course, to fit their tiny stomachs). 

But I agree with @cinwa: in this direction lies Madness, Regret, Despair, Emotional Ruin, and worst of all, bigger Psychotherapy Bills. 

I guess I am naïve because I just have a hard time believing people would put themselves through all of this just to throw it all away by not changing their eating habits.

On 12/25/2017 at 12:40 PM, tracyringo said:

I guess I am naïve because I just have a hard time believing people would put themselves through all of this just to throw it all away by not changing their eating habits.

Tch Tch You are very naive. :P

"Of course" being able to emotionally eat the way you have always done is way more important than.... surgery and weight loss and health and a longer life and not dying early. Twinkies rule. 

More seriously one of the eye-openers for me is the degree to which these emotional eating crutches were wired into my daily life.