ThinCVT

4 years out...I think I might finally be a veteran

Haven't been here for awhile, but since Im at my 4 year surgiversary I thought I'd check in.  80% of this post is completely plagiarized from last year's update but it gives a good recap of all 4 years....

Year 1 - the year of losing all of my excess weight (100 pounds), dozens of NSVs, and a new wardrobe.  By far, the most exciting year.  Even the month of liquids, 6 weeks of diarrhea and 2 insanely painful gallbladder attacks couldn't put a dent in my enthusiasm.  It was all so new and fun and easy.  Life was great and I was invincible!

Year 2 - the year of finding out life still sucks no matter what size you are, losing my best friend to suicide, sinking into a deep hole of depression and finding that I could no longer rely on my old friends.....food, alcohol and cigarettes.  Just struggling to get through each day with really no desire to.  Two more gallbladder attacks which I finally put an end to with a long overdue cholecystectomy. Surprisingly able to maintain my weight loss from the 1st year.

Year 3 - the year of emotional healing (well, at least a start in that direction) with a grief therapist, testosterone replacement and an antidepressant.  Finally able to crawl out the darkness into a somewhat bearable existence.  My latest breakthrough is I actually said yes when asked out on a date about a month ago.  Considering my introvert personality and swearing off relationships almost 20 years ago, this is an extraordinary step for me.  We've been out 1/2 dozen times and I'm actually enjoying it. 

Year 4 - the year of falling in love, being blissfully happy and regaining 10 pounds (yikes!)  I'm still with that guy that asked me out back in Oct 2016.  Enjoying my first totally honest, mature relationship.  Ironically, I've found being a good bariatric patient is harder in good times than in bad.  I've got better things to do than think about protein, fluids, carbs and vitamin......everything has become less and less about surgery and weightloss and more and more about life.

So my downfall this past year has been cocktails and chocolate.  Took up the bad habit of consuming both on a daily basis.  That, and a lot of donuts and muffins!  But the good news is I have already dropped 5 of the 10 pounds I put on.  As always, it just takes going back to basics..... drink more water, eat more protein and less carbs.  My BF is great and jumped on the high protein/low carb bandwagon with me.  Of course being a guy, he's dropped 20 pounds to my 5 (stupid boys).  I have every confidence I will drop that last 5 pounds before 2018.

Bottom line is successful WLS results is not rocket science.  Whatever you had to do to lose weight is pretty much what you need to do forever.  If you can't control sliders and trigger foods, they WILL lead to regain.  If you don't make the psychological adjustments and permanently change your habits and behaviors, you WILL regain.  It's  totally up to you whether or not your surgery becomes just another failed diet.  Don't be afraid to seek professional help with the mental side of it.  Because as the years go on, that's what makes you successful, not how tiny your stomach is.

Good luck to the newbies.  Congrats to the veterans.

So good to hear from you and I am so happy for you!!

I have had a blissfully happy year as well and agree that it is much more difficult to maintain when things are going well.  It's probably a good thing my BF/now husband is only home on weekends or I'd probably be struggling more with regain as I tend to indulge more and exercise less when he's home. 

So glad you checked in and I wish you continued happiness :)

1 hour ago, ThinCVT said:

...  Ironically, I've found being a good bariatric patient is harder in good times than in bad.  I've got better things to do than think about protein, fluids, carbs and vitamin......everything has become less and less about surgery and weightloss and more and more about life.

...Bottom line is successful WLS results is not rocket science.  Whatever you had to do to lose weight is pretty much what you need to do forever.  If you can't control sliders and trigger foods, they WILL lead to regain.  If you don't make the psychological adjustments and permanently change your habits and behaviors, you WILL regain.  It's  totally up to you whether or not your surgery becomes just another failed diet.  Don't be afraid to seek professional help with the mental side of it.  Because as the years go on, that's what makes you successful, not how tiny your stomach is.

Good luck to the newbies.  Congrats to the veterans.

Thanks ThinCVT! I've always looked forward to your posts! What you write about speaks directly to me. 

2 hours ago, ThinCVT said:

.......... Whatever you had to do to lose weight is pretty much what you need to do forever. ...........

That would make a great tattoo!

3 hours ago, ThinCVT said:

If you can't control sliders and trigger foods, they WILL lead to regain.  If you don't make the psychological adjustments and permanently change your habits and behaviors, you WILL regain.  It's  totally up to you whether or not your surgery becomes just another failed diet.

Wise words, and thank you for them!

Congrats on your continued WLS success, as well as on your personal life changes :) It's good to hear that your struggles with sticking to your eating plan now are because you're busy being happy - that's a good problem to have. 

Love the highlights and honesty.  Always enjoy your posts and only sometimes realize I'm reading conversations from years ago.  May year 5 be continued happiness!

Glad you are doing well and are happy!  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

And boy are there slider foods!! A lot of us didn't see that coming LOL....but...once you recognize what they are and learn to control them you are good...and everyone is different when it comes to how many carbs/protein/sugar, etc., you can have. Some have successfully kept their weight down on a weight watchers style which is basically a "balanced" diet, others like the low carb, or keto style, I prefer paleo or rather more "clean" eating with a minimal amount of processed foods and lots of veggies and fruits. Although I derailed for the holidays but still maintaining with about a 5 lb gain from my lowest. I am coming up on my 3 yr post op on the 15th!! Yikes! I can't believe it!IMG_3649.thumb.JPG.51ac727b069f16b77d8d834aa9e82040.JPG

ThinCVT~ like everyone else, your post speaks to me profoundly!  Our surgery dates are ONE day apart and for the most part my experience mirrors yours.  

I was the "perfect" VSG patient and followed my eating plan to the letter.  I dropped most of my excess weight going from 234 pds to 141 pds at my lowest.  While not hitting my "goal weight" of 128, I did hit my "goal size" of size 10.

Around year 2.5ish, I developed hypoglycemia and re-visited my bariatric nut for some help on how to manage it.  Of course, I had to add the dreaded "carbs" at timely intervals.  So, one kind of carb, led to another kind of carb, and before I knew it, I was "slip-SLIDING" away!  Not that I could eat huge amounts, but small and frequent tastes made their way back into my mouth.  

Thanks to my weight loss success, I was able to exercise quite vigorously on a daily basis and thought that would be my saving grace for weight re-gain.  Wrong!

Then, in May of 2017, I had to have Rotator Cuff Reconstruction Surgery (again thanks to my newly attained "athleticism" Haha).  I was out of commission for months and just went back to a watered down version of my old routine in October.  That period of inactivity coupled with the slip-sliders added 13 MORE pounds.  Let me add that I realized that my water consumption was down to MAYBE 16 oz a day and that the exercise was what made me thirsty.

I am currently doing the 5DPT to reset.  I'm on Day 4 and my spirits are really starting to lift.  I feel optimistic again and am even thinking I might try to "make it" to my goal "weight".

(let me just add that the entire 5DPT series of books is AMAZING!  There isn't a page that goes by that doesn't relate to ME!)

All the best to you ThinCVT and it was nice to check in with all of you once again!!

I can really relate to your story.  Congratulations on year 4.  That was the year of some regain for me.  I too met a wonderful man in 2015 and did well for the first year. For me it was not so much the food but the feelings of being in a relationship that started to trigger feelings and I went back to using food.  I am happy to report I have recently lost 30 pounds in about 3 1/2 months and will continue to get down to a weight where my body feels most comfortable.  I had a surprise commitment ceremony on the holiday.  With all are kids and grandkids around he asked if I would be forever.  He purchased rings and we exchanged them.  We are planning another ceremony for the spring were I get to also talk....I mostly was in shock and cried.  Never would have happened without WLS.  

Wishing you continued success and much love.  

I forgot to say...you are a veteran!!!!

2 hours ago, Kim M said:

I can really relate to your story.  Congratulations on year 4.  That was the year of some regain for me.  I too met a wonderful man in 2015 and did well for the first year. For me it was not so much the food but the feelings of being in a relationship that started to trigger feelings and I went back to using food.  I am happy to report I have recently lost 30 pounds in about 3 1/2 months and will continue to get down to a weight where my body feels most comfortable.  I had a surprise commitment ceremony on the holiday.  With all are kids and grandkids around he asked if I would be forever.  He purchased rings and we exchanged them.  We are planning another ceremony for the spring were I get to also talk....I mostly was in shock and cried.  Never would have happened without WLS.  

Wishing you continued success and much love.  

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember when you started dating him! This is my favorite post in weeks! 

So another mini update with good and bad highlights.  After my OP  I spent six weeks COMPLETELY off the bariatric wagon and hit a record 160 pounds! Up 20 pounds...... Whoa!!  But I managed to do a carb cleanse and am back within sight (8 pounds) of my previous maintenance weight of 140.  I really need to to take my own advice to heart -"Whatever you had to do to lose weight is pretty much what you need to do forever."  It sucks but it's true.

my BF and I have been getting out cross country skiing on the weekends, so that is helping with my motivation.  Speaking of BF's, congratulations @Kim M !! That's so awesome for you.  Mine surprised me with a promise ring for Valentine's Day.  Actually 2 rings.  after declaring his intentions of wanting to be with me forever....while out on a cross country ski trek, BTW..... we went to look for a ring (he wanted me to pick it out myself to make sure I liked it).  The one I REALLY wanted was blue and white sapphires in a silver and rose gold setting.  But I am a vet tech and my daily exposure to poop, pee, blood, pus, vomit and other grossness as well as numerous hand washings didn't bode well for such an intricate ring.  So we settled for a lower profile, simpler emerald and white sapphire ring.....more practical but still very beautiful.  Then, a week later, he surprised me with the other ring, telling me I deserve to be as sparkly as I want and could wear it when Im not at work.  I might be almost 50 years old, but I feel like a silly teenager who's boyfriend just gave her his class ring  :wub: ......that was SERIOUS love back in the day :D

Thank you, everyone, for the well wishes.  Good luck to all of you.

image.jpeg.7cc77a511d1c5427d90ac530ae3e63f6.jpegimage.jpeg.02bb25c25c7aee658c20d7f36ff62777.jpeg

image.jpeg.c28e184864daf41cdfa912f702e7fbce.jpeg

Edited by ThinCVT

Beautiful @ThinCVT, both the post and the rings. Lucky woman having such a thoughtful and generous BF.

awwww, congrats!  love to hear about your love! (and life after WLS!)