cinwa

Welcome to the Maintenance Forum

This is a place for all those who are at goal weight (or are close to it) to share experiences and/or ask advice on what can be a pretty daunting step

Great idea!   It should be very helpful for those of our TTers that have met their goal weight!!!! 

Can I make a reservation for next year?  haha!:lol:

25 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

You can have a front row seat!

Great idea cinwa. Especially given the number of posts popping up on the subject lately. It's definitely a scary period for many of us who've never actually hit our goal weights in past attempts at weightloss.

I still remember vividly a doctors appointment late last year.  I'd lost about 15kg of the 27 my orthopaedic surgeon required before he'd list me for surgery. So still well into active weightloss mode. The doctor piped in with a "you know you have to maintain that now". I could have smacked him one at the time. As someone that has always been able to lose weight but never maintain....this has to be the scariest part of my post surgery life....and the longest!!!!

No thanks are due to me Aussie.  All I did was click a few buttons.

It was NerdyLady who contacted me about a Maintenance Forum (after chatting with Jen), so I raise my cup of spearmint tea to them.

Thanks @cinwa! I appreciate your work on this. 

Thanks, too, to @NerdyLady, who identified the need :) 

@cinwa As always, thank you for being our advocate! I hope you know how much you are appreciated by all of us at TTF. Please give @John our thanks. 

Maintenance is a scary and thrilling time. I wasn’t prepared for this stage. I thought I was prepared but now that I’ve arrived, I feel likes a newbie all over again. 

@Jen581791 *waiving frantically* It’s here! The Maintenance Cafe is open for business!! 

8 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

@CheeringCJ You can sit next to me!

@Aussie H I think you win the award for person with the most insensitive doctors. I’ve had my fair share of jerks but geez...

Completely off topic, every time I type Aussie H, a television jingle pops into my head. AUSSIE BEAR! AUSSIE BEAR! AUSSIE BEAR!AUSSIE BEAR! THE MILK CHOCOLATE TREAT FROM AUSTRALIA TO AMERICAAAAA!!! 

1 hour ago, NerdyLady said:

@Aussie H

Completely off topic, every time I type Aussie H, a television jingle pops into my head. AUSSIE BEAR! AUSSIE BEAR! AUSSIE BEAR!AUSSIE BEAR! THE MILK CHOCOLATE TREAT FROM AUSTRALIA TO AMERICAAAAA!!! 

I've lived here all my life and never heard of them. Now I'll have to google them.....maybe they're called something else here!

Okay....so we call them Caramello Koalas. Definitely a popular chocolate treat here in Australia. Definitely advertising license at play though given koalas aren't bears.

Edited by Aussie H
Bloody autocorrect!

5 minutes ago, Aussie H said:

I've lived here all my life and never heard of them. Now I'll have to google them.....maybe they're called something else here!

Okay....so we call them Caramels Koalas. Definitely a popular chocolate treat here in Australia. Definitely advertising license at play though given koalas aren't bears.

I’m not sure if I’m stating the obvious but there was a koala craze in 1980’s USA. My friends and I would obsess over koalas and anything koala themed. Maybe it was the Crocodile Dundee movies that had us so excited? My high school class mascot was a koala! Seems like the Caramels Koalas people jumped on that trend. 

Funnily enough, I’ve never had an Aussie Bear because chocolate wasn’t allowed by my parents. 

1 hour ago, NerdyLady said:

@Aussie H I think you win the award for person with the most insensitive doctors. I’ve had my fair share of jerks but geez...

Same doctor who couldn't comprehend what was written in my scan report last week, so told me everything was fine when it clearly wasn't.  Also same guy that doesn't believe in WLS, and same jerk that I had to argue with about getting "obesity" removed from my list of medical conditions, because his view is that obesity is a life long medical condition......yep without WLS in the picture it pretty much is. I have to argue with him whenever I'm due for blood panels because he says they're not justified when they are actually standard protocol post WLS. He's transferring interstate next week.....talk about a case of the trash putting itself out. The real shame is the doctor taking over has an even worse reputation!!!!!! I'm getting my records transferred to my old doctor who now practices in Adelaide. It's an almost 4 hour drive but at least I can trust him until I can find someone closer that I'm comfortable with.

NerdyLady, Caramello Koalas have been around at least since I was a kid.....well before Crocodile Dundee!!!!

Edited by Aussie H

*slips into the booth too*  Thanks for this thread @cinwa!  Looking forward to learning all the stuff! :D

All joking aside, I’m quite sorry that you are dealing with such incompetence. I wish I could send you a good medical team and a case of papaya enzymes. 

1 minute ago, NerdyLady said:

All joking aside, I’m quite sorry that you are dealing with such incompetence. I wish I could send you a good medical team and a case of papaya enzymes. 

Thanks Nerdy

7 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

@cinwa As always, thank you for being our advocate! I hope you know how much you are appreciated by all of us at TTF. Please give @John our thanks. 

Maintenance is a scary and thrilling time. I wasn’t prepared for this stage. I thought I was prepared but now that I’ve arrived, I feel likes a newbie all over again. 

@Jen581791 *waiving frantically* It’s here! The Maintenance Cafe is open for business!! 

@CheeringCJ You can sit next to me!

I’ve got a reservation for next month. It’s the earliest they could get me in... ;) 

3 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

I’ve got a reservation for next month. It’s the earliest they could get me in... ;) 

You're close enough to goal Jen and it's good to start putting some thoughts into your maintenance.

This is a great idea as I find maintenance is so much more difficult than the losing stage.  That has been true my whole life though...I have lost over 100 pounds twice before (plus smaller amounts many times lol) only to gain it all back plus some.  That's what WLS is to me; a tool to help maintain. 

Those of you still in the honeymoon stage where hunger is gone and cravings are minimal...use this time to work on your head because that's where trouble starts for most of us.  Being obese is not about physical hunger as most of us quit listening to hunger signals a long time ago.  Develop other coping skills if you've used food as comfort, as celebration, as a reward.

I find also that exercise, even just a 30 minute walk daily, is critical for me in maintenance, far more than it was in active losing.  Plus it helps me deal with stress, which helps me not stuff my face :)

3 hours ago, cinwa said:

You're close enough to goal Jen and it's good to start putting some thoughts into your maintenance.

I'm definitely putting some thought into it - it'll be here very soon! I think I'm going to be really, really systematic about it (I like that kind of thing). First up: up the calories by 100 a day and see what happens, keeping protein as my focus. Then, maybe up another 100 and add some complex carbs if I'm still losing... 

Yesterday my PCP diagnosed me with Plantar Fasciitis. :(  So needless to say, my exercise regime has been impacted.  She wants me to switch to a bike instead of walking (or do 50/50).  I have had this heel pain since before Thanksgiving, and just been pushing through it.  I'm a bit freaked out as I am such a creature of habit and so close to meeting my goal weight.  Hopefully this goes away soon. :(  I was so excited to get to maintenance mode...

@TammyP, I have had that before....it is pretty painful and it lasts a while (basically a year if you don't treat it).  Getting even OTC shoe inserts with arch support will help (it will say for Plantar Faciitis) and you can get a steriod injection (which hurts but not as bad as your foot hurts!) and that helps (sometimes it takes 2 shots though they can go up to 3, maybe since it is early in the onset, you can get away with just one).  Anyway, don't suffer in silence....you can see a podiatrist and get help, but for now at least get a support for your shoe.

Edited by CheeringCJ

16 minutes ago, TammyP said:

Yesterday my PCP diagnosed me with Plantar Fasciitis. :(  So needless to say, my exercise regime has been impacted.  She wants me to switch to a bike instead of walking (or do 50/50).  I have had this heel pain since before Thanksgiving, and just been pushing through it.  I'm a bit freaked out as I am such a creature of habit and so close to meeting my goal weight.  Hopefully this goes away soon. :(  I was so excited to get to maintenance mode...

Wow Tammy you are so close to goal! You'll still get there, it will just be a different final step. It's like a storm just as you sight land after a voyage. 

I had this once for about 18 months. Crocs helped immediately but my doc yelled at me because (well I sometimes need extra, shall we say encouragement, to do the right thing) you are supposed to wear shoes that support your foot. I guess Crocs are just mushy and don't really support - help immediately but do nothing for the long run. 

Thank you @CheeringCJ and @BurgundyBoy.  I am looking at some gel inserts for the heel.  Last night I iced it and I gotta say - Ice makes most things feel better.  12-18 months sounds like a long time to deal with this. :(  My PCP gave me some foot exercises.  Someone at work who has this said Magnesium helped him immensely (not sure if that is safe for our WLS bodies).  My daughter who works retail said she had it for a bit, and used a soup can to roll her foot on and that helped a lot.  And the PCP did mention the steroid injection directly into the tissue if needed.  *shivers at that thought*

As far as exercise, I have avoided the treadmill today.  Instead I did about 45 minutes on a stationary bike.  Not quite the same as my treadmill but I did have "wobbly" legs when I got off the bike so I guess that is a good sign. :D

26 minutes ago, TammyP said:

Thank you @CheeringCJ and @BurgundyBoy.  I am looking at some gel inserts for the heel.  Last night I iced it and I gotta say - Ice makes most things feel better.  12-18 months sounds like a long time to deal with this. :(  My PCP gave me some foot exercises.  Someone at work who has this said Magnesium helped him immensely (not sure if that is safe for our WLS bodies).  My daughter who works retail said she had it for a bit, and used a soup can to roll her foot on and that helped a lot.  And the PCP did mention the steroid injection directly into the tissue if needed.  *shivers at that thought*

As far as exercise, I have avoided the treadmill today.  Instead I did about 45 minutes on a stationary bike.  Not quite the same as my treadmill but I did have "wobbly" legs when I got off the bike so I guess that is a good sign. :D

I've had plantar fasciitis and it is dreadful!  I found that stretching before I even got out of bed (flexing the toes forward to stretch out the bottom of the foot) as did freezing a bottle of water and rolling my foot on it.  I also used Birkenstock inserts in my shoes which was like magic.  When mine was at it's worst, I did water aerobics instead of my usual walking which seemed not to aggravate it as much.  Hope it heals quickly :)

13 minutes ago, msmarymac said:

I've had plantar fasciitis and it is dreadful!  I found that stretching before I even got out of bed (flexing the toes forward to stretch out the bottom of the foot) as did freezing a bottle of water and rolling my foot on it.  I also used Birkenstock inserts in my shoes which was like magic.  When mine was at it's worst, I did water aerobics instead of my usual walking which seemed not to aggravate it as much.  Hope it heals quickly :)

This is what I did when I suffered with it as well.

Thanks @msmarymac and @Aussie H!  The frozen water bottle sounds perfect, and I can probably do that at work also.