meltingmagnolia

Two more days...

My surgery is Monday. I am both excited and terrified thinking about the journey ahead.  I can’t even comprehend the impact this choice might make on, not just me, but my marriage and family.  I know that losing weight and focusing on fitness will thrill my health nut of a hubby. It will also make me a better role model for my two boys. However, I am concerned about the changes it will mean to our lifestyle (my poor husband is already sad about the drop in happy hours and fabulous dinner dates) and the emotional challenges ahead (because when mama ain’t happy...).  I want to focus on the joy, but the nerves are getting to me!

The fab dinner dates can resume after a few months! You will be eating differently, perhaps sharing some of your hubby's plate. But the food part of the date is such a small part of the actual being together :-) 

I'm a newbie yet but many things are becoming apparent to me. Yes eating has changed, but I'm still eating. Even at only a month out, I've gone out twice to restaurants with my buddies for lunch and found things to eat- soup, and soft chicken. It felt different to me than times before, yes. But I was still me, with my buddies, having lunch, like always. 

I'm a teetotaler so someone else will have to comment on the happy hour part :-)

Best wishes to you my friend for an easy surgery experience and a good recovery! Mine was cake, pretty much.

7 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

The fab dinner dates can resume after a few months! You will be eating differently, perhaps sharing some of your hubby's plate. But the food part of the date is such a small part of the actual being together :-) 

I'm a newbie yet but many things are becoming apparent to me. Yes eating has changed, but I'm still eating. Even at only a month out, I've gone out twice to restaurants with my buddies for lunch and found things to eat- soup, and soft chicken. It felt different to me than times before, yes. But I was still me, with my buddies, having lunch, like always. 

I'm a teetotaler so someone else will have to comment on the happy hour part :-)

Best wishes to you my friend for an easy surgery experience and a good recovery! Mine was cake, pretty much.

I totally agree (as usual) with @Michael_A.  

I have wonderful date nights out with my wife almost every weekend, and we have no problem enjoying them.  Yes, I eat less food than before, but I can always find items on the menu that work well for me - usually on the appetizer, salad, soup, small plates, or side order portions of the menu. 

With respect to alcohol after a gastric bypass, the topic is a bit tricky.  First of all, you should avoid all forms alcohol for at least six months after surgery as the alcohol just adds empty calories that will slow your weight loss.  Next, champagne, beer and hard cider are basically out forever as the carbonation will make you fell awful (trust me on this one) and fill you up with gas.  Similarly, sweet drinks and hard alcohol generally result in dumping or other problems.  Moreover, you need to be careful as there is an increased risk of alcoholism after a gastric bypass since the alcohol will hit you much harder and faster than before.  Finally, after a gastric bypass one cannot drink alcohol and then drive a car as you will be impaired and have a high blood alcohol level.

However, all that having been said, many of us (including me) once we reach (or are approaching) our goal weight enjoy a nice glass (or two :rolleyes:) of red or white wine several times a week with dinner.  So your days of going out and having a drink or two almost certainly are not over - but you should delay drinking alcohol for a few months and when you take it back up stick to wine in moderation and with someone else driving afterwards.

Most importantly, welcome.  Exciting, thin and more healthy times lie ahead for you - I have never regretted having my gastric bypass.  

It is a very exciting journey you are getting ready to go down. To go into it without any fear or apprehension would be abnormal. The changes in your life are going to be astounding and there are so many exciting victories and new discoveries ahead of you. There will be bumps in the road and peaks and valleys along the way, but it is all part of the process. 

Life keeps moving forward. Considering the major rework of out plumbing that takes place from gastric bypass surgery, it's kind of amazing how quickly the body adapts and adjusts. Once you get through the healing phase it's all about learning what works and doesn't work for you. For me it has been important to stay focused on my bodies needs versus getting side tracked on testing what I can and can't eat. I went through a period where I for some reason I felt like I had to see what I could or couldn't eat and how "normal" my eating could look to others. I had to real myself back in and remind myself why I had the surgery in the first place and the things I was more than willing to give up forever if it meant losing weight and keeping it off. Focus on getting the protein in and then get all the fiber and vitamins through other foods if there's room. I really don't have the space or the time for the carbs that my head craves. I can eat and drink things that I didn't think I would ever be able to again, but the quantity is greatly reduced. If I take up precious space in my pouch with carb loaded foods or foods that are doing very little to help me reach my bodies nutritional needs, why bother? I'm sure that once I hit my goal and get in to more of a maintenance phase that things will change again and I'll have to figure out what my new norm will be at that point. It's a process... I'm so thankful for this surgery and the tool it has given me to take back control of my life. 

I'm excited for you!

meltingmagnolia, not much I can add to what Chefman77 posted except to welcome you to Thinner Times.

And don't forget to add your name to our December Calendar.

Some great thoughts here already - I’ll just second those and welcome you to TTF. Best of luckn on your surgery. It’s been life changing for me :) 

Best of luck on Monday! 

My naturally thin, vegan health nut husband is thrilled with my surgery. My appearance is a nice side benefit but his greatest joy is being able to spend time together without worrying about my health. Maybe some of those restaurant nights can be replaced with live theater or travel? We recently bought season passes for the BSO and are enjoying musicals. We are also taking mini trips to other cities for theater performances and are traveling more often. You can spend quality time together that doesn’t revolve around food. I’m excited for you!