Louis

Weight loss

4 weeks post gastric bypass lost 30lbs in the first st 2 weeks haven't list any weight since then following diet and walking about 2 miles almost every day any suggestions or anyone else have this issue. I have a Dr's appt wed and will ask Dr just wondering in the meantime

25 minutes ago, Louis said:

4 weeks post gastric bypass lost 30lbs in the first st 2 weeks haven't list any weight since then following diet and walking about 2 miles almost every day any suggestions or anyone else have this issue. I have a Dr's appt wed and will ask Dr just wondering in the meantime

Welcome!  A weight loss stall is almost guaranteed at the 2-3 week mark, sounds like yours was just a little late. Most people lose in a stair-step fashion-  lose some, stall, lose some, stall. Even while you're in the stall though, you might notice your body changing. You may not be losing pounds, but the inches will be changing. I myself just came out of a stall.

If you are following your plan and getting your exercise in, then it's only a matter of time before your weight loss kicks in again.

2 hours ago, Michael_A said:

Welcome!  A weight loss stall is almost guaranteed at the 2-3 week mark, sounds like yours was just a little late. Most people lose in a stair-step fashion-  lose some, stall, lose some, stall. Even while you're in the stall though, you might notice your body changing. You may not be losing pounds, but the inches will be changing. I myself just came out of a stall.

If you are following your plan and getting your exercise in, then it's only a matter of time before your weight loss kicks in again.

@Louis: Michael is absolutely right about this. I feel like it might be a really unusual WLS patient who doesn't have a stall around the 2-3 week mark. Just about everyone does. I feel like it's maybe just the body's reaction to the crazy stuff that's happening to it. Your losses will pick up again soon. In the meantime, take measurements to check on progress, make sure to get your water and protein goals checked off every day, and keep moving. It's really hard to be patient, but I don't think there's anything you can do to hurry it along. 

Yep!  Stalls (or as my doc called them "resting periods") are part and parcel of any weight loss programme.

Keep doing what you're doing Louis because it's working.  And if you average it out, 30lb down in 1 month is fantastic.  That equates to pretty much losing 1lb a day! 

I'll be following this. I'm waiting on the inevitable stall (I'm not quite 3 weeks out), so I'll need the reassuring words I'm reading here. 

Hang in there! I'm sure it's a temporary thing - especially with how quickly you've lost weight in the first two weeks! Clearly you've been doing something right. :)

8 minutes ago, Cardamom77 said:

I'll be following this. I'm waiting on the inevitable stall (I'm not quite 3 weeks out), so I'll need the reassuring words I'm reading here. 

Hang in there! I'm sure it's a temporary thing - especially with how quickly you've lost weight in the first two weeks! Clearly you've been doing something right. :)

The three week weight loss stall is not inevitable - I did not have one - but most people do have a stall for several weeks within the first month or two.

1 hour ago, Cardamom77 said:

I'll need the reassuring words I'm reading here. 

What really helped it not be an issue for me was, I was (and still am) hardly eating anything. Between protein drinks and the one small thing I was eating per day (a few ounces of cottage cheese, piece of string cheese, etc) it didn't add up to very many calories. So even though the scale wasn't moving, I knew for sure I wasn't taking in nearly enough calories or carbs to thwart weight loss. It was a little annoying to not see the scale move, but I wasn't concerned that something wasn't working.  If that makes sense...

Congrats on your decision to have WLS. Welcome! 

MichaelA summed it up quite nicely. I had a stall at 3 weeks, 5 weeks and several more along the way. Stalls are frustrating but eventually go away. :)

I know that this isn't for everyone but when I had my WLS, I chose not to have scales in the house until I reached the normal BMI for my height. 

It was a radical step and it's not for everyone but with a 35+ year documented history of failed dieting attempts, all sabotaged by what I perceived as a failure the moment the scales failed to record a loss, I had to change my mindset.

For me, it was the best thing I could have done because it freed me up to concentrate on my following my programme to the letter and keeping up with my exercise.