Nana Trish

Confessions

1 hour ago, tracyringo said:

I suppose when you are at goal or closer to goal it might be harder.  As for myself there is just no room if I get my fluids and protein in.  I have heard the restriction relaxes but at this point I don't see how.  Can someone farther out with a sleeve explain what, when, and why or how that can be after you are healed and swelling is gone?

I don't know the "how" but can tell you that it does indeed relax and allow more volume, although never even close to what it once was pre-WLS (thankfully!).  Probably what gets most people in trouble in maintenance though is not a restriction issue per se but a relaxing of the "rules".  You can eat bits and bites throughout the day and really add up calories without ever testing your actual restriction.  You can eat slider foods which don't cause the feeling of fullness (I'm talking to you, movie theatre popcorn!), you can regress to your old eating habits (minus the volume) and disregard the protein and veggies rule.  You can drink calories.  So many ways to sabotage your maintenance goals and most of them have little or nothing to do with restriction which is why sticking to the rules is so critical to long term success.  I know...I fight these battles every day :)

27 minutes ago, msmarymac said:

I don't know the "how" but can tell you that it does indeed relax and allow more volume, although never even close to what it once was pre-WLS (thankfully!).  Probably what gets most people in trouble in maintenance though is not a restriction issue per se but a relaxing of the "rules".  You can eat bits and bites throughout the day and really add up calories without ever testing your actual restriction.  You can eat slider foods which don't cause the feeling of fullness (I'm talking to you, movie theatre popcorn!), you can regress to your old eating habits (minus the volume) and disregard the protein and veggies rule.  You can drink calories.  So many ways to sabotage your maintenance goals and most of them have little or nothing to do with restriction which is why sticking to the rules is so critical to long term success.  I know...I fight these battles every day :)

Exactly. I still have loads of restriction and that parts great. It's the ease of popping a candy into your mouth, and then another an hour later, and another. That's my issue. I just need to be more careful on what I allow in the house. I previously was able to just avoid because I shouldn't eat it. Now that's harder for me and I'm not sure why. Feeling accomplished and thin? Treating myself for doing so well. It's a weird mental thing with me. My brain looks at my daughter's left over waffle and says "DO NOT EAT THAT", "YOU'RE NOT EVEN HUNGRY" and then before I know it, down the hatch. What is that?? I had to reschedule my therapy to next week instead of today. I was hoping to have better insight.

1 hour ago, msmarymac said:

Thank you for your feed back.  This is something that I can keep an eye on in the future.  @Smashlee83 I can see being so close to goal like you are how I might start getting more lax in that same situation so that is something else I can watch as I get closer to goal ty.

4 hours ago, Smashlee83 said:

Exactly. I still have loads of restriction and that parts great. It's the ease of popping a candy into your mouth, and then another an hour later, and another. That's my issue. I just need to be more careful on what I allow in the house. I previously was able to just avoid because I shouldn't eat it. Now that's harder for me and I'm not sure why. Feeling accomplished and thin? Treating myself for doing so well. It's a weird mental thing with me. My brain looks at my daughter's left over waffle and says "DO NOT EAT THAT", "YOU'RE NOT EVEN HUNGRY" and then before I know it, down the hatch. What is that?? I had to reschedule my therapy to next week instead of today. I was hoping to have better insight.

I’ve had to train myself not to eat my daughter’s leftovers. I hate to see food waste and the amount of food my daughter refuses to eat increases every day. I ask the universe to forgive me as I dump it in the garbage. It’s the little bites and snacks that will impact our waistlines in the long run. I’m in this struggle with you!

6 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

I’ve had to train myself not to eat my daughter’s leftovers. I hate to see food waste and the amount of food my daughter refuses to eat increases every day. I ask the universe to forgive me as I dump it in the garbage. It’s the little bites and snacks that will impact our waistlines in the long run. I’m in this struggle with you!

I have a problem throwing food away also and now I cant finish stuff so I offer it almost demand someone else eat it !!    LOL

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:14 AM, tracyringo said:

I suppose when you are at goal or closer to goal it might be harder.  As for myself there is just no room if I get my fluids and protein in.  I have heard the restriction relaxes but at this point I don't see how.  Can someone farther out with a sleeve explain what, when, and why or how that can be after you are healed and swelling is gone?

Making a foot note here. One year later and I know that the relax of the sleeve really happens.  I really don't feel much restriction unless I am eating my DENSE protein. For those of you in the early stages, stick to the rules because their will come a time when you wont be able to rely on that to keep you from over eating. I can definitely see how people regain after WLS.  All those bad habits can come right back if you don't make and stick to the new ones that 1st year.

Golly, @Nana Trish, i know you feel badly and for you it seems like a big deal but that seems like a little deviation to me....I’ve had huge binges before that were things that needed to be confessed and i didnt’ (presurgery....I can’t eat enough to binge like that now but i have certainly made my share of poor choices since surgery and got back on the wagon and not danamged myself permanently).  So, yes, go easy on yourself.  Had I written the same post, what would your response to ME (or any of us) be?  Be that kind of nice to YOU too! :)

(((HUGS)))

On 12/2/2017 at 10:58 AM, Chefman77 said:

Thanks for sharing Trish. You have done so great since your surgery! Don't beat yourself for being human and making a mistake. Owning our mistakes is half the battle and the most important thing is what we learn from them. I have full confidence that you have learned and will be even better for it. Now forgive yourself and get back on that horse. You're still a rock star in my book! 

Nice to see you here, @Chefman77!  How are you doing?  

@Nana Trish How are you? You have been awful quiet lately.

32 minutes ago, CheeringCJ said:

Golly, @Nana Trish, i know you feel badly and for you it seems like a big deal but that seems like a little deviation to me....I’ve had huge binges before that were things that needed to be confessed and i didnt’ (presurgery....I can’t eat enough to binge like that now but i have certainly made my share of poor choices since surgery and got back on the wagon and not danamged myself permanently).  So, yes, go easy on yourself.  Had I written the same post, what would your response to ME (or any of us) be?  Be that kind of nice to YOU too! :)

(((HUGS)))

This post was from last December, CJ, lol. But I still appreciate your response!! Looking back on it now, it truly was a pretty minor incident in the grand scheme of things. I was way harder on myself than I should have been. I still felt like a relative newbie back then, and I was terrified of screwing up all of my hard work. Now, being 18+ months post op, I have a much better overall view of things. I’ve been far from perfect during this journey. But I have learned (and am still learning) how to balance the good days with the bad, and I don’t feel like every bad day is a complete and utter failure. I’m starting to truly understand that this is a lifelong commitment and lifestyle change, but that as long as I stay structured and get myself back on track after my bad choice meals, I’ll be ok. I’ve been holding steady at between 140-142 for months now, and I feel like I’ve got a good handle on things now :) 

1 minute ago, tracyringo said:

@Nana Trish How are you? You have been awful quiet lately.

Lol...hi @tracyringo!!

@tracyringo, I’m hanging in there, thank you so much for asking!! Lots of med stuff as usual, but I’ve started PT finally! I’ve been crazy busy with my little man and holidays, etc. How have you been?!?

1 minute ago, Nana Trish said:

@tracyringo, I’m hanging in there, thank you so much for asking!! Lots of med stuff as usual, but I’ve started PT finally! I’ve been crazy busy with my little man and holidays, etc. How have you been?!?

Sorry about the medical stuff and glad you have started PT, hope it helps.  I am doing okay other then my head hunger has been in full swing lately, but I am holding it together lol !!

Thanks, Tracy...it’s all good ❤️ It’s too early on to know how much PT will help, but I have high hopes! 

I’m sorry to hear that you’re struggling with head hunger...I’m right there with you. I’ve always felt like a bit of an outsider as far as head hunger and regular hunger go post op...I never felt like it ever really went away. So I can completely relate! 

5 minutes ago, tracyringo said:

Sorry about the medical stuff and glad you have started PT, hope it helps.  I am doing okay other then my head hunger has been in full swing lately, but I am holding it together lol !!

I’m so glad you’re holding it together :) The holidays are ALWAYS hard food wise, so hopefully it will ease up a little for both of us next month

1 hour ago, Nana Trish said:

Thanks, Tracy...it’s all good ❤️ It’s too early on to know how much PT will help, but I have high hopes! 

I’m sorry to hear that you’re struggling with head hunger...I’m right there with you. I’ve always felt like a bit of an outsider as far as head hunger and regular hunger go post op...I never felt like it ever really went away. So I can completely relate! 

I’m so glad you’re holding it together :) The holidays are ALWAYS hard food wise, so hopefully it will ease up a little for both of us next month

I sure hope so !

7 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

This post was from last December, CJ, lol. But I still appreciate your response!! Looking back on it now, it truly was a pretty minor incident in the grand scheme of things. I was way harder on myself than I should have been. I still felt like a relative newbie back then, and I was terrified of screwing up all of my hard work. Now, being 18+ months post op, I have a much better overall view of things. I’ve been far from perfect during this journey. But I have learned (and am still learning) how to balance the good days with the bad, and I don’t feel like every bad day is a complete and utter failure. I’m starting to truly understand that this is a lifelong commitment and lifestyle change, but that as long as I stay structured and get myself back on track after my bad choice meals, I’ll be ok. I’ve been holding steady at between 140-142 for months now, and I feel like I’ve got a good handle on things now :)

That is too funny!  I thought it seemed like you were panicking when you normally don’t (now)...that explains it.  The funny thing is it was in the new activity part and I didn’t think it sounded current so I went back and looked at the date and it said Dec 2nd so I assumed it was current! Haha!  Here it was a year old and I didn’t see the 2017!  

Glad you’re in a better place w/ maintaining and not freaking out over little things :)    I hope you are doing well with your pain and that it has subsided w/o the meds, but hoping you found meds to keep your condition in check.  I think of you often!