Chefman77

Me 6-month post op

16 minutes ago, Readytobeme said:

I hear your points on the vitamins and constipation. That is a big concern for me as I am a chronic pain patient (failed back surgery) and suffer from OIC (opioid induced constipation) It is very different than the run of the mill constipation. Bulking up with fiber will only make things worse. I already take Miralax daily and it barely works. Just keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out for me post op.

Constipation was bad enough for me post-op, but was compounded after my foot surgery due to OIC as well. My bariatric surgeon didn’t want me taking Miralax for some reason and Metamucil did zero to help. I have had greater success using a fiber probiotic that I get from Walmart. And coffee!!!

A0B1F411-6335-494E-BA82-D2F7DE73EAE4.jpeg

Edited by Chefman77

18 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

May I ask what protein isolate you use? and I had forgotten (before you wrote it) that branched chain amino acids ("BCAA" for you Lurkers) are supposed to be the right thing to do after workouts. I'm going to have to look up that stuff again...

I actually use the BCAA’s during my workout and finish the water bottle after  done if I haven’t already drained it.

14 hours ago, Chefman77 said:

I have considered that according to the BMI calculator I need to be 175 before I'm in the "normal" range.

The BMI is severely flawed and outdated. I certainly would never use it as a means to judge when I'm at an acceptable weight. When you're happy where you're at, and it's a healthy weight, then that's where you should stop IMHO. 

GREAT!!! That's all I need...

My surgeon told me use Benefiber, and along with increasing my water intake, it's done a good job. The Benefiber is tasteless and undetectable in anything you mix it in. I was impressed. 

Constipation was bad enough for me post-op, but was compounded after my foot surgery due to OIC as well. My bariatric surgeon didn’t want me taking Miralax for some reason and Metamucil did zero to help. I have had greater success using a fiber probiotic that I get from Walmart. And coffee!!!

A0B1F411-6335-494E-BA82-D2F7DE73EAE4.jpeg

Wow. I wonder why no Miralax? That is a little odd to me. That stuff is so gentle that they use it on children.

The thing about fiber with OIC is that the bowels just don't move with OIC. Bulking up with too much fiber can easily cause a blockage in people with OIC.  Don't get me wrong, I get plenty of fiber from vegetables in my diet. Grainy type fiber gives me issues though.

I am glad that you found something that works for you. Dealing with OIC is no joke.

I have been dealing with it for 10 years now.

Edited by Readytobeme