Chefman77

Me 6-month post op

Your change is both amazing and inspirational!

3 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Your change is both amazing and inspirational!

Thank you @Res Ipsa! You guys are my inspiration. 

HOLY MOLEY!!!! Insert jaw drop here!! Way to go @Chefman77!! You are CRUSHING this weight loss journey!!! I know you must be so incredibly proud of yourself - not to mention your family! 

I don't know why I haven't noticed it before today, but I see that your from Missouri? I grew up in southern IL right outside of St Louis, and my family (parents and my sisters family) now all live in the Springfield, MO area.  Are you anywhere nearby? I will be heading out there sometime in the spring. Another one of our TTF buddies, @tracyringo, is near that area too. Maybe we can all plan a little meet -up, along with anyone else in the area!

19 hours ago, Trish13 said:

HOLY MOLEY!!!! Insert jaw drop here!! Way to go @Chefman77!! You are CRUSHING this weight loss journey!!! I know you must be so incredibly proud of yourself - not to mention your family! 

I don't know why I haven't noticed it before today, but I see that your from Missouri? I grew up in southern IL right outside of St Louis, and my family (parents and my sisters family) now all live in the Springfield, MO area.  Are you anywhere nearby? I will be heading out there sometime in the spring. Another one of our TTF buddies, @tracyringo, is near that area too. Maybe we can all plan a little meet -up, along with anyone else in the area!

Thank you @Trish13! I am proud of where I am and my family has been so supportive and proud of me.

My wife has a lot of family in the St Louis area. Small world, I live 3 miles south of Springfield with a Nixa address. That would be neat to meet up with some TTF buddies.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:30 AM, Chefman77 said:

Thank you @Trish13! I am proud of where I am and my family has been so supportive and proud of me.

My wife has a lot of family in the St Louis area. Small world, I live 3 miles south of Springfield with a Nixa address. That would be neat to meet up with some TTF buddies.

OMG  Chefman we are neighbors I live in Springfield !  I am in the Mercy system who are you doing all you follow ups with since I see you had surgery in MS ?

Edited by tracyringo

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:01 PM, Trish13 said:

This is AWESOME I can hardly wait till spring !!

2 hours ago, tracyringo said:

OMG  Chefman we are neighbors I live in Springfield !  I am in the Mercy system who are you doing all you follow ups with since I see you had surgery in MS ?

Hi neighbor! All of my medical care is through the VA. I have follow ups via video conference with my surgeon in Mississippi and my pcp is in Mount Vernon. I'll be glad when they get the VA hospital open in Springfield. 

I have a couple of things on my mind. I got the results of most of my 6-month labs today and as I suspected my iron level was 28 and the bottom normal range level is 35. 3 months ago my level was 37 so it has been a pretty significant drop. My pcp is starting me on an iron supplement and I suppose I need to focus my efforts on eating more iron rich foods. I know part of the problem post rny is absorption and the other part is diet. I haven’t eaten much meat post however, I have had better luck with digestion as of late and have been eating more meat so hopefully that will help.

I have also been considering lowering my weight goal, but I’m afraid I will feel like a failure if I do. I feel great where I’m at at 210. I know I want to get below 200, but idk if 185 is too unreasonable. It is a goal I set and not my surgeon. He never did discuss a goal weight with me. I work out pretty hard about 5 days a week which includes weight training and cardio. I’m pretty sure the weight training has slowed down my weight loss the last month or so, but I’m still shrinking and feel great. Anyway, I just thought I’d share these thoughts and see if anyone has some input for me to consider. As always, thank you all.

2 hours ago, Chefman77 said:

My pcp is starting me on an iron supplement.

I have also been considering lowering my weight goal, but I’m afraid I will feel like a failure if I do. I feel great where I’m at at 210. I know I want to get below 200, but idk if 185 is too unreasonable. It is a goal I set and not my surgeon. He never did discuss a goal weight with me. I work out pretty hard about 5 days a week which includes weight training and cardio. I’m pretty sure the weight training has slowed down my weight loss the last month or so, but I’m still shrinking and feel great. Anyway, I just thought I’d share these thoughts and see if anyone has some input for me to consider. As always, thank you all.

Iron supplements can be constipating, so consider upping fiber and fluids.

As far as goal weight, I wouldn't get too fixated on any one number. No one knows the number on the scale, but they do see all that amazing muscle definition you work so hard for. If that means the scale reads 5-10 pounds heavier, it's well worth it in my opinion. :) 

2 hours ago, Chefman77 said:

I have a couple of things on my mind. I got the results of most of my 6-month labs today and as I suspected my iron level was 28 and the bottom normal range level is 35. 3 months ago my level was 37 so it has been a pretty significant drop. My pcp is starting me on an iron supplement and I suppose I need to focus my efforts on eating more iron rich foods. I know part of the problem post rny is absorption and the other part is diet. I haven’t eaten much meat post however, I have had better luck with digestion as of late and have been eating more meat so hopefully that will help.

Hi @Chefman77 I eat a lot of meat and recently ordered my vitamins without iron in the hope I will be better about taking my calcium supplements by taking them at the same time as my vitamins. (I eat cheese too). I guess we just have to tailor things to maintain our calcium and iron intakes given our diets and ... in my case, forgetful behavior. I can remember to take things in the morning, and likely in the evening, but also some intermediate time of the day with a busy work life... it just won't be 100% for me. 

I'm like you. I'm in a prolonged stall at about 208-210, BMI is just under 27, and my diet is probably 1500-1800 calories a day. I "set" my goal at 185 lbs in the absence of knowing if that was right, wrong, achievable, or crazy. My surgeon and nutritionist just smile at me if I bring up the issue of more loss. From their point of view they think I have been successful and any additional loss might be nice... but from an health point of view, beside the point. I still have a little bit of blubber but... I think what I need to focus on now is weight training to increase my muscle mass, @Gretta's point is very well taken. At this point it's becoming clear to me that I may essentially be at a maintenance place where my intake supports my current weight and exercise level. Over the past 3 months I have not met my exercise goal nor have I adhered to my diet as faithfully as I wished. So this is very valuable data .... if I want to be lower, get buffed up, more exercise, decrease my calories a touch. 

As @Aussie H noted in a parallel post, there is some reason to think that your ultimate metabolic rate will be higher if your intake has not been tiny during the weight loss phase. To clarify, if you get to goal on 500 calories a day, your metabolic rate may permanently be lower than if you got to goal more slowly with an higher intake. This would mean in the maintenance phase that your intake would have to be pretty low. For me I have pursued an higher caloric intake paired with exercise. Not saying this is right, just outlining the approach.  The fly in this ointment is that if you can't exercise due to work issues or something else, then your weight loss is slower (or ends). There just isn't any way I could maintain a chronic dietary intake of 1200 calories a day during maintenance. 

In contrast, there are some people (am thinking of @athenarose) who got to goal with a low intake and THEN undertook an high exercise regimen (and has been really really successful). @Jen581791 seems to have kept a low intake and gradually upped her exercise (I'm invoking them obviously by the magic of the @ Magick Spell). Trish, Res Ipsa, Gretta, the others on this thread have had great weight loss too. 

7 hours ago, Gretta said:

Iron supplements can be constipating, so consider upping fiber and fluids.

GREAT!!! That's all I need...

5 minutes ago, Chefman77 said:

Fiber fiber fiber. :D

6 minutes ago, Chefman77 said:

Chefman, you are younger than me, but I remember about 40-45 years ago there were these dietetic breads, only 40 calories a slice.... they were made with sawdust. (yes, sawdust). They tasted like... wood chips and were awful. Must have been sky-high in terms of fiber. Just saying... if you are close to a sawmill... you know...-_-

9 hours ago, Chefman77 said:

I feel great where I’m at at 210. I know I want to get below 200, but idk if 185 is too unreasonable. ......

I wasn't given a goal and I never set one for myself other than to get into the normal BMI range and then decided where I felt best at.

Something to consider is that at 5'11", 185lb will still leave you in the overweight BMI category by 10lb.  

6 minutes ago, Chefman77 said:

Chefman, you are younger than me, but I remember about 40-45 years ago there were these dietetic breads, only 40 calories a slice.... they were made with sawdust. (yes, sawdust). They tasted like... wood chips and were awful. Must have been sky-high in terms of fiber. Just saying... if you close to a sawmill... you know...-_-

1 minute ago, cinwa said:

I wasn't given a goal and I never set one for myself other than to get into the normal BMI range and then decided where I felt best at.

Something to consider is that at 5'11", 185lb will still leave you in the overweight BMI category by 10lb.  

I have considered that according to the BMI calculator I need to be 175 before I'm in the "normal" range. However, I don't believe you can just categorize everyone based on height and say they should be a certain weight. I don't have anything to back up my beliefs except personal experience, but I believe that each person's body has a different ideal weight for them based on bone structure, chemical makeup, and activity level. I am a big boned person with a very large chest. I have heard people say that "big boned" is hogwash so maybe just a bodies build in general, idk. The TI's in basic training used to give me crap all the time accusing me of bowing up at them. 

I used to do biathlons and run in a lot of 5k and 10k races when I was in my 20's and my weight was never below 185, yet my VO2 Max was that of an olympic athlete. The only time I got into the normal BMI range as an adult I was 30 years old, at my worst with my bulimia, purging practically everything I put into my body, passing out on a regular basis requiring several trips to the hospital for IV fluids and my weight was 173 pounds. I looked emaciated and was definitely not healthy. Maybe when I get older my body will change like I have seen happen in my father and father-in-laws being around 175 will be more of an ideal weight for me.

7 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

I'm like you. I'm in a prolonged stall at about 208-210, BMI is just under 27, and my diet is probably 1500-1800 calories a day. I "set" my goal at 185 lbs in the absence of knowing if that was right, wrong, achievable, or crazy. My surgeon and nutritionist just smile at me if I bring up the issue of more loss. From their point of view they think I have been successful and any additional loss might be nice... but from an health point of view, beside the point. I still have a little bit of blubber but... I think what I need to focus on now is weight training to increase my muscle mass, @Gretta's point is very well taken.

I think we are in the same boat. My caloric intake was much lower for the first 4 months post-op than it is now partly due to the required diet the first couple of months and partly due to foot surgery I had in September and I couldn't workout for 2 months. My calorie intake is currently 1200-1500, but I have noticed a need to increase it lately as my workouts have intensified. I do take BCAA's and post workout shakes which has been part of the reason for my increased calorie intake as well as my bodies need for more carbohydrates to support the more intense workouts. I'm going to focus my attention more on how I'm feeling and the way my body is tightening up than the number on the scale. I have been a weigh every day kind of person and maybe I'll try to force myself to tone that back to once a week. Probably not though. :lol: It doesn't really bother me that much as long as I know I'm doing what I need to and continue to feel great. 

I will add that the post workout shakes are a 100% pure whey protein isolate that are only 90 calories with 0 sugars and 23g of protein. I  also add a glycogen super-compensation formula on heavy weight lifting days to ignite muscle growth, restore glycogen levels, aid muscle rebuilding, and decrease recovery time. I only use half the recommended one scoop though as I don't want to build much mass at this point.

Edited by Chefman77

3 minutes ago, Chefman77 said:

I have considered that according to the BMI calculator I need to be 175 before I'm in the "normal" range. However, I don't believe you can just categorize everyone based on height and say they should be a certain weight. I don't have anything to back up my beliefs except personal experience, but I believe that each person's body has a different ideal weight for them based on bone structure, chemical makeup, and activity level. .............

I couldn't agree more with what you've said Chefman and speaking from experience, I had zero idea what would be an ideal weight for me because I doubt that I was ever in the normal BMI range for more than a few weeks (my baby pictures prove that).

You must decide where you feel best at.

My Dr told me that she calculates my optimal weight to be 131 lbs.  I would look like a skeleton at that weight. I did weigh 135 as a teenager and on in to my twenties. The lowest weight I have been after reaching 30 yo is 170. I was very comfortable at that weight so that is what I chose as a goal.

12 minutes ago, Chefman77 said:

I think we are in the same boat. My caloric intake was much lower for the first 4 months post-op than it is now partly due to the required diet the first couple of months and partly due to foot surgery I had in September and I couldn't workout for 2 months. My calorie intake is currently 1200-1500, but I have noticed a need to increase it lately as my workouts have intensified. I do take BCAA's and post workout shakes which has been part of the reason for my increased calorie intake as well as my bodies need for more carbohydrates to support the more intense workouts. I'm going to focus my attention more on how I'm feeling and the way my body is tightening up than the number on the scale. I have been a weigh every day kind of person and maybe I'll try to force myself to tone that back to once a week. Probably not though. :lol: It doesn't really bother me that much as long as I know I'm doing what I need to and continue to feel great. 

I will add that the post workout shakes are a 100% pure whey protein isolate that are only 90 calories with 0 sugars and 23g of protein. I  also add a glycogen super-compensation formula on heavy weight lifting days to ignite muscle growth, restore glycogen levels, aid muscle rebuilding, and decrease recovery time. I only use half the recommended one scoop though as I don't want to build much mass at this point.

May I ask what protein isolate you use? and I had forgotten (before you wrote it) that branched chain amino acids ("BCAA" for you Lurkers) are supposed to be the right thing to do after workouts. I'm going to have to look up that stuff again...

I hear your points on the vitamins and constipation. That is a big concern for me as I am a chronic pain patient (failed back surgery) and suffer from OIC (opioid induced constipation) It is very different than the run of the mill constipation. Bulking up with fiber will only make things worse. I already take Miralax daily and it barely works. Just keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out for me post op.

5 minutes ago, Readytobeme said:

I hear your points on the vitamins and constipation. That is a big concern for me as I am a chronic pain patient (failed back surgery) and suffer from OIC (opioid induced constipation) It is very different than the run of the mill constipation. Bulking up with fiber will only make things worse. I already take Miralax daily and it barely works. Just keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out for me post op.

Good reminder there is no one solution for all things. Thanks for pointing this out!

4 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

May I ask what protein isolate you use? and I had forgotten (before you wrote it) that branched chain amino acids ("BCAA" for you Lurkers) are supposed to be the right thing to do after workouts. I'm going to have to look up that stuff again...

These are what I use. I get them from the Supplement Superstore.

89068318-F869-4870-9EF1-A59F9A3AB344.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Chefman77 said:

These are what I use. I get them from the Supplement Superstore....

Thanks! My beefcake days, I rowed crew. Long time ago... and I just have to build the muscle mass.