Has anyone ever failed the psych eval?

I had my psych eval today and I felt a little uneasy when I left .. long story. I have a follow up on the 11th so we will see.Am I being paranoid or is this common to feel this way?

You guys are so awesome about answering any questions and have never made me feel silly for asking it so... Thanks .. :P

My psych eval was the worst part of the whole process. As soon as the doc had my "million dot" test results he went into everything he could. My letter from him shredded me and how I've handled any event in my life. I know I'm not perfect and do handle a lot with food - but his report made it sound like I was a rubber room candidate! Anyway, even with his negative comments, I was passed through to the surgical committee and was approved. I think they must be looking for some pretty major issues to deny anyone on that front.

I don't think the psych eval is a "pass/fail" sort of test... Like Marty and Penny said, it's just to see if you're stable and you know what you're getting into. I would imagine that, if the psychologist noticed something unusual, s/he would make a recommendation for what the patient would need to do to deal with it prior to surgery (untreated depression, for example).

Mine was about 20 minutes. She asked a question, I answered, and most of the time was spent with her writing. Then she looked up at me and wished me good luck on my surgery.

I didn't tell her about my depression (I don't believe it's relavent).

It may have been different if I did what I wanted to - standing at the wall, peeling off the wallpaper and pretend I was eating it, but then again, that's my sense of humor. ;)

I took the MMPI, which hosts 575(?) questions and lasts 2.5 hours. Immediately after the test I seen the Psych Dr. for about 10 minutes just to go over my results. The only thing he noticed was a tendency towards depression (which I'm already aware of and treating.) It's interesting to see what others have to go through for their Psych evaluation.

I have a history of depression. As part of the process they made me start seeing a therapist. I am still seeing her and am very happy about it. THey just want to make sure I can handle all of the changes without any problems.

I just did my e-val on weds. It wasnt bad. He sat there for a minute and read my records, and the person who typed said I was 53. WE laughed and he had it straightened out. But the Joke the whole time was, wow you look great for 53! LOL

Anyways I talked openly and really it was just a conversation. At first I could barely talk to him because I was so nervous. I told him I am so nervous and he said its OK most people are, but I am just a normal guy. That made me feel better. We talked for about 45m. Most of our talk was about my health, and then my plans for after surgery. I was honest and told him the after surgery scared me a little because I have had the last 2 of my hospitalizations go wrong. He said that was normal to feel like that, since I didn't have a easy time. So I felt better.

At the end he said if I needed to talk to him to please feel free and call. Then he said I wont hold you up.So I passed and got my for sure date of NOV. 16th...

Thanks guys ! Your replies have been helpful and I am feeling a little better about it . He just got so nosey about my marriage and ask me what my husbands hobbies were and then when I told him he plays computer games he staring putting him down saying he wasnt a good husband because he spends more than a hour a day playing games ,so thats why when I left his office I was uneasy feeling. I kinda thought this was about me and not my hubby . I never once complained about hubby or anything. Oh well I go back on the 11th to finish up so he can send in my report. He gave me a book to read and it has nothing to do with WLS or anything associated with it ..My husband is military and the doc is a retired Captain in the military so maybe thats why he is taking a personal intrest in him. hmmm .. I have a great marriage but he had me second guessing it when I left . Sorry for venting I am just trying so hard to get all this done before the holidays ..

Thanks for listening !Hope everyone has a great weekend ! :P

Thanks guys ! Your replies have been helpful and I am feeling a little better about it . He just got so nosey about my marriage and ask me what my husbands hobbies were and then when I told him he plays computer games he staring putting him down saying he wasnt a good husband because he spends more than a hour a day playing games ,so thats why when I left his office I was uneasy feeling. I kinda thought this was about me and not my hubby . I never once complained about hubby or anything. Oh well I go back on the 11th to finish up so he can send in my report. He gave me a book to read and it has nothing to do with WLS or anything associated with it ..My husband is military and the doc is a retired Captain in the military so maybe thats why he is taking a personal intrest in him. hmmm .. I have a great marriage but he had me second guessing it when I left . Sorry for venting I am just trying so hard to get all this done before the holidays ..

Thanks for listening !Hope everyone has a great weekend ! :P

You never need to apologize for venting on here. :) I empathize with your feelings and can see why you left feeling uneasy. Personally I feel he was out of line but that is JMHO.

Hang in there! I doubt that the insurance company could care less about your husband's computer game playing!

I just did my psych eval a few weeks ago. I wish I had found this site before then because I was freaking out about it! I thought I was going to fail it for sure. Anyway, my eval was great. We just talked for about a half hour. I was expecting to take the MMPI but he said no, he didn't make people take that unless he saw something in his initial exam that he thought made it necessary. I was so happy! He said that I could make an appointment to come in after surgery if I was having any problems but had no problems clearing me for surgery. Good luck to you with the second part of your eval. Your hubby playing computer games has nothing to do with your surgery. Heck, if it did, I would have been in trouble too! My hubby doesn't play actual games, but he is a stat geek and does like every fantasy sports season. He spends a lot of time on the computer but it's what he likes to do for entertainment while I'm reading this board and others that I read, so I have no problems with it!

My psycologist shared with me the types of things they are looking for.

Mostly, if the expectations are realistic and that you posess the ability to realize what they are or will be.

Unless you have some really serious stuff going on, I am sure you will be fine.

As far as hubby goes, I wonder if instead of playing the computer, he was cheating on you or geting stinking drunk every night would be better??:eek: ...I am sure not!!!

Love your man and realize, he will be going through changes along with you!

Is he up to it?

You may want to ask.

• 13 years later...

I failed the first evaluation.  Was told I had to do 7 months of therapy for PTSD.

I did the 7 months. And am now doing a second evaluation.  Tomorrow I have the second half of the evaluation, at which I will find out if I'm approved.  

In that 7 months, I am now pre diabetic and was put on Metformin. 

I need this, I can do this. I can't fail again.

I feel the psychological exam is extremely subjective and studies have proven that the results of it have little bearing on future success of the surgical patient.  That said, I "failed" the initial exam and was prescribed 12 weeks of therapy to discuss my issues.  I felt it was a total waste of time and very little benefit was gained.  That said, I have since had gastric bypass surgery and lost almost 150 pounds in total.  Although I did not agree with the results of the psychological exam, I am glad that I stuck with the program.  Believe me, it's worth it.  Hang in there!