3 week stall lasting what seems like forever?

Im about 5 weeks post op and have been stalled since 11/9, so Thursday it’ll be 3 weeks of being stalled.... since surgery on 10/25 I’ve lost 19lbs, but this stall is really getting me down. I’ve read on here it’s normal but how long does this stall usually last?  I guess i can’t help but feel like I’m doing something wrong even though I’m eating on track and taking all my vitamins plus exercising... any advice? Just feeling down since the first 12 months are supposed to be the best for weight loss and it feels like a whole month is wasted with this stall... I try not to weigh daily but can’t help myself. It’s driving me crazy! 

Sorry you are in a stall already.  Good news is  they cant last forever as long as you are sticking with the program. Your body needs time to catch up.  Keep a journal and take your measurements. I stall every month for about 10 days. I have kept a journal since the beginning and so far at the same time every month I do the same thing. I felt like a crazy person for the first 2 months but now I can see how my body has adjusted and losses weight so I am not as stressed seeing the number on the scale everyday.  Good luck on your journey

I remember feeling just like that in the first two months. It's a bad feeling. It will go away when the losses start again and the pounds start adding up. If you're following your plan, you're doing just the right thing. Don't try to second guess yourself - it will work to follow the plan. 

@tracyringo's suggestions are good - journal, measure, and try to be patient :) 

Thanks ladies. I just wish there was a surefire way to kick it but i know there is not. I really didn’t expect to stall for this long so early. I have been eating very small amounts of carbs but I don’t think it could be stalling me? Whole grain toast and fruits in no sugar added juices... and even with those I’m always below 30g of carbs daily. Maybe I’ll try not eating those items for a week and see what happens. 

How is your water intake? The more water I drink, the more I lose!

I'd ditch the toast and fruit.  I'd focus solely on protein at this point. Can you have cheese, chili, cottage cheese, meatloaf, tuna with a dab of mayo, eggs?  Maybe a bite of veg?  

Edited by Cheesehead

I'd second what @Cheesehead said about the fruit and toast. You're not eating much at this point, but including fruit and toast means not including some other protein source, since you don't have room in your stomach for both. There's not much, if anything, in toast that is helpful to you at the moment. 

Being patient is hard, but try to be! :) Being in a stall is not fun, but hopefully it'll be over soon.

^^^ What they said! I'm 8 months out and I still don't eat toast. I do eat fruit occasionally but I didn't start that until 5-6 months out.

I’ve been trying to lower my carb intake this week and put the scale away until next Wednesday... been hitting the gym extra hard and surprisingly when the scale isn’t around I’m way less stressed about the stall. I thought I’d still be stuck on it! So as far as ditching the whole grain toast.... what is a good way to get in fiber?? My surgeon told me to include more high fiber foods because I’m having some serious constipaion issues but it’s hard finding high fiber foods we can tolerate.. I’m taking miralax daily (no results really.. yet), stool softener, milk of mag, and sometimes even suppositories which seems to be the only thing that works but i don’t want to become dependent on them... ugh. I have the smooth move tea as well but have only tried it once.

1 hour ago, Jujuseven said:

I’ve been trying to lower my carb intake this week and put the scale away until next Wednesday... been hitting the gym extra hard and surprisingly when the scale isn’t around I’m way less stressed about the stall. I thought I’d still be stuck on it! So as far as ditching the whole grain toast.... what is a good way to get in fiber?? My surgeon told me to include more high fiber foods because I’m having some serious constipaion issues but it’s hard finding high fiber foods we can tolerate.. I’m taking miralax daily (no results really.. yet), stool softener, milk of mag, and sometimes even suppositories which seems to be the only thing that works but i don’t want to become dependent on them... ugh. I have the smooth move tea as well but have only tried it once.

Artichokes, a few parsnip chips, or a bit of pomegranate (sugar, I know) do the trick for me for constipation.

I took 2 chewable fiber tablets a day for a couple years.  (Along with stool softeners and probiotics).  Found them at Walmart.  Smooth move tea also helps..

I'm 3 weeks out, yesterday. I noticed in the last week that when I increased my water from 64 oz (or two Camelbak Eddy bottles full) to three bottles/ 96 oz a day, that helped noticeably with the poor bowel movements. It's still kind of an issue, but now it's only mildly frightening instead of screaming in pain horrible.

As far as your current dietary life goes, don't forget that fruit is almost all sugar, and adds almost nothing to your actual nutritional requirements at the moment. I'm not allowed to have bread until around the 5 or 6 month mark.

I'm no expert, and am just spouting off what I've learned here over the years. But the advice given above by the others does line up with my own eating plan at the moment- protein is king, and introducing very simple sugars and carbs this early out will probably slow down weight loss.

15 hours ago, Jujuseven said:

Lowering carbs and hitting gym is definitely good. Have you increased your fluid to make up for your gym routine? Also, are you taking any pain killers? Lack of fluid is a common cause of constipation and so are narcotics. It might still be your body getting used to everything new going on, but these are two things to watch out for. 

15 hours ago, Jujuseven said:

Lots of good advice here... 

Would differentiate, when it comes to constipation, fiber and bulk in foods versus things/drugs that flog your intestines. By that I mean fiber (and lots of water, as @Michael_A notes) will keep you moving. Things that flog your intestines (milk of mag, suppositories, etc.) just force your bowel to expel what pitiful little bits may be in you... and yes you can become dependent upon them, and they won't work if there isn't any bulk in your bowels. 

Agree it is hard to get enough fiber with our diets; I consistently have to add 8 grams of psyllium to my morning Premier Protein rotein shake - I recently bought some on Amazon that it very finely ground and dissolves very well. Sometimes also eat black beans or black bean pasta, e.g. it looks like pasta but is all beans. 

15 minutes ago, Mrs.NA said:

Lowering carbs and hitting gym is definitely good. Have you increased your fluid to make up for your gym routine? Also, are you taking any pain killers? Lack of fluid is a common cause of constipation and so are narcotics. It might still be your body getting used to everything new going on, but these are two things to watch out for. 

(Not meant to be a highjack of the thread - Mrs.NA, if I haven't already said so, congratulations on being under 200!!)

Thank you @BurgundyBoy  It really felt like it took forever... and I noticed that my stall was lasting extra long until I cut the carbs

Water, vigorous exercise, caffeine, and veggies with some fiber in them all help me stay regular. You're maybe not at the point where you can eat much in the way of raw veggies yet, but a few spoonfuls of cooked high fiber veggies might help. When I got far enough out that my stomach could handle it, green salads and raw veggie sticks were helpful. In my former life as an Atkins person (many many years ago), I used psyllium, as @BurgundyBoy mentioned, and it was very effective. I can't find it where I live currently, so can't rely on it now, but veggies seem to do enough. 

That said, I've just been camping for a few days, and it has really thrown off my rhythm. Tonight, a cup of senna tea will be my remedy. I try not to use it too often, but it works when I need it.

Coffee decaf or reg seems to help first thing in the mornings..never liked coffee before but if it helps to move things along...

i don't like smooth move but found I could drink it iced.  And MOM makes me gag, so I have to down it like a shot!  I take it less than once a month...

Edited by Cheesehead

Hot lemon water does the trick for me. I have it first thing in the morning, and generally within 15 minutes feel the bowel grumbling and I have to go. Works probably 13 times out of 14. I also usually add a benefibre serve to my protien drink if I have one. Trying to have one every day but I don't always get one in.

I was going to stay off the scale until Wednesday but caved and was happy to see th to scale moved down 2 pounds! isn’t much but it’s something. That puts me at 23 pounds down since 340lbs October 25th day of surgery, to 317 today. I really feel like I’m losing so slowly compared to others especially with how hard I’m pushing myself exercise wise, but I’m trying so hard not to compare myself to others.  It does get discouraging.. it’s so hard to feel normal after surgery because there is no “normal”. I hope the loss picks up a bit for the remainder of the month. Hope I’m not the only one who has/had these feelings of constantly trying to see if I’m doing ok or if I’m failing at this whole thing. 

Milk of mag finally kick started getting things moving the other night and hopefully a combo of miralax and trying to get in some more fiber without too many carbs will help keep me regular.

Also i appreciate all of the suggestions and support, it is nice to be able to come here when you don’t have many friends offline who can relate. My cousins fiancée had the sleeve and she has had no stalls at all and is around 7 months post op and has eaten lots of carbs since mushies so when we talk about my frustrations she can’t really relate.

19 hours ago, Jujuseven said:

and has eaten lots of carbs since mushies so when we talk about my frustrations she can’t really relate.

I'm truly, just saying. Not preaching, not trying to convince anyone... just saying. Very early out from your surgery date is the time to lock in good eating habits. We can agree or disagree about the exact numbers and ways, but a high carb lifestyle will doom you to failure. Either surgery will pretty much make anyone lose some weight early out. But that will come to an end, and if you aren't in a good mindset that respects carbs and sugars and the various roles that they play in our weight, lives, and emotions, you (I, we) will be fat again. And all the hard work will be for nothing. I think you are so wise to come to this place, and try to have a broader understanding of your tool. I have learned so much here.

2 hours ago, Michael_A said:

I'm truly, just saying. Not preaching, not trying to convince anyone... just saying. Very early out from your surgery date is the time to lock in good eating habits. We can agree or disagree about the exact numbers and ways, but a high carb lifestyle will doom you to failure. Either surgery will pretty much make anyone lose some weight early out. But that will come to an end, and if you aren't in a good mindset that respects carbs and sugars and the various roles that they play in our weight, lives, and emotions, you (I, we) will be fat again. And all the hard work will be for nothing. I think you are so wise to come to this place, and try to have a broader understanding of your tool. I have learned so much here.

I used to be convinced that carbs were evil. Since surgery though my dietician has insisted that carbs must be raised above the level that will keep me in ketosis. There are pros and cons to everything, and everyone is different. There is definitely a school of though that raising calorific intake post surgery is they key to having a higher metabolic set point after surgery. Let's be honest, none of us would want to be maintaining at less than 1000 calories a day once we get to goal. That can happen if carbohydrate levels are kept too low.....So I'm told.  I'm currently at about 1500 calories daily...still losing albeit slowly. Where I am though that's fine with me. I do pretty much stick with low GI carbs though.

17 hours ago, Aussie H said:

I'm currently at about 1500 calories daily...still losing albeit slowly. 

Good to hear this, as I am at about this number of calories.

22 hours ago, Michael_A said:

Yes and i agree. Before surgery i was following a ketogenic diet/lifestyle for around 4 months and i had decent success. The staying away from carbs isn’t so hard for me, it’s just harder now after surgery as my fat intake is limited and not only fat but just food options in general at the moment. Some things as simple as chicken breast or cheeses that i loved before surgery taste so off to me now that i can hardly stomach them... but a few bites of toast tastes and goes down fine (ugh, of course lol) but I’m getting by!