How am I supposed to walk with zero energy?

Hi guys. I’m just shy of a week post-op and I’ve been doing great. I’ve been out and about and walking, but today my energy level is hitting a wall. I have nothing left. How am I supposed to get my walking in?

It's still early days Rosy - you're just 6 days post-WLS.

At your stage, I was walking around the house and yard several times a day and down to the gate and back (about 1,000 yards) once a day.

It will come.

41 minutes ago, Boho Rosy said:

Hi guys. I’m just shy of a week post-op and I’ve been doing great. I’ve been out and about and walking, but today my energy level is hitting a wall. I have nothing left. How am I supposed to get my walking in?

I'm a few days ahead of you.

Just do what you can, when you can. Like Cinwa said, even just some extra laps around your house, up and down the hall, etc. It will come, but we're healing right now. The point is to just not get lazy and do nothing.

I know how you fell though. I am tired every day. Yesterday was my first day back to work. It is mostly a desk job but I do visit some other sites nearby. I went home in the early afternoon and was spent!

1 hour ago, Boho Rosy said:

You aren't love. At 6 days out just functioning as a normal person is exhausting. I returned to work on day 4 and it took everything in me to walk from the parking garage to my desk and back. But it gets a little better in time. Once you start eating solids you will notice a huge change in your energy levels. Hang in there!

Thanks everyone. I admit that I’m a bit of an overachiever, but this step clearly can’t be rushed!

I was completely useless for the first couple of weeks. Week one, I just walked the hallways of my hotel a bit. Week two, I could barely drag myself around a grocery store (with a cart!). Week three was better - I walked a couple of miles a few times. It got better fast. Don't rush yourself. Some people are able to walk a lot in the few weeks after and good for them! Some people aren't, and just trying for a bit more, a bit more is great. I didn't seriously start walking until about week 5 or 6, doing 2 or 3 miles per day. @Gretta was leading exercise classes at that point, I think!! She's a force of nature, though, apparently ;) and my own personal superhero.

53 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

I was completely useless for the first couple of weeks. Week one, I just walked the hallways of my hotel a bit. Week two, I could barely drag myself around a grocery store (with a cart!). Week three was better - I walked a couple of miles a few times. It got better fast. Don't rush yourself. Some people are able to walk a lot in the few weeks after and good for them! Some people aren't, and just trying for a bit more, a bit more is great. I didn't seriously start walking until about week 5 or 6, doing 2 or 3 miles per day. @Gretta was leading exercise classes at that point, I think!! She's a force of nature, though, apparently ;) and my own personal superhero.

You are so sweet. I went back to teaching step aerobics 2.5 weeks after surgery. I turned the energy on for that one hour but was a complete slug for the rest of the day! My normal energy level didn't return until 10 weeks out. 

7 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

@Gretta was leading exercise classes at that point, I think!! She's a force of nature, though, apparently ;) and my own personal superhero.

Wow!!!!

@Boho Rosy We all start at different places and the WLS hits us all differently...

Just set your expectations based on who YOU are and your pre-surgery level of exercise. If you have high expectations but weren't exercising much before surgery you will definitely have to work your way up. You can do it but wouldn't press so hard you feel defeated or become reluctant to exercise because of soreness.

You can get to your goal without exercise but you're better with it if you can. @Dtrain84 isn't allowed to exercise heavily for medical reasons and is doing splendidly; @athenarose who exercises a huge amount didn't start exercising hard until she got to her goal;  and like @Gretta I exercised a lot early on but have gone through periods of sluggishness. 

57 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

@Boho Rosy We all start at different places and the WLS hits us all differently...

Just set your expectations based on who YOU are and your pre-surgery level of exercise. If you have high expectations but weren't exercising much before surgery you will definitely have to work your way up. You can do it but wouldn't press so hard you feel defeated or become reluctant to exercise because of soreness.

You can get to your goal without exercise but you're better with it if you can. @Dtrain84 isn't allowed to exercise heavily for medical reasons and is doing splendidly; @athenarose who exercises a huge amount didn't start exercising hard until she got to her goal;  and like @Gretta I exercised a lot early on but have gone through periods of sluggishness. 

Hey Rosy - I agree with everything BB said. Take it slow and don't worry too much about it. I exercised a lot pre-op and I think after 6 days I walked down my 50 foot driveway and turned around and went back inside. I was exhausted! 

Exercise is important but not critical. Greer has posted many times she doesn't exercise and I think she is 4 or maybe even 5 years out and still at goal. I know there are other veterans who got to goal and stayed there without exercising.The main reasons I exercise are for the dopamine hits and the stress relief.

You are doing great! Hang in there! 

15 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Jen, I so needed to hear that today. I'm on week 2 and I can't seem to get active yet. I went to the grocery store today (w/ my husband) and I dragged myself around. In fact he had the cart and I took it right away bc I needed to have some support for how weak I was feeling. I leaned on the cart like I was 70 the whole 45 mins of being in there. I just feel drained most of the time. Land that makes me feel like a wimp, and I want to suck it up and barrel ahead but my body is limiting me.

My NP from the surgeon's office just called me to see how I was doing with the nausea and vision and outings. She reminded me that I'm not 20 and I just had major surgery two weeks ago(thank you very much <_<).  I think I keep thinking back to 20 yrs ago when I had laparoscopic cholecystectomy (GB out) 3 days before Christmas (by my choosing) and I bounced back immediately and went back to work right after New Years.  A teacher I work with (who is 27) had this last year and "took off 3 weeks but really could've only done 2 weeks as I was fine and just bored at home".  So I think my expectations are generally too high for this old 51 yr old grand mom....and I need to be ok with leaning on the shopping cart two weeks after I had my stomach  removed!!!!  

I really look up to you and to see you were dragging at two weeks makes me feel not so different than everyone else that bounced back so quickly!

To echo everyone else, you're a week out! If you're hitting your fluid goals, you're doing amazing. Walking doesn't even need to be on your radar right now. Like @BurgundyBoy said, I didn't exercise at all until I reached my goal weight. I was straight up exhausted for the first 6-8 weeks after surgery. Just doing normal daily activities wore me out, so exercising wasn't even worth considering. Then once I got my energy back, I thought a lot about how we all have finite amount of willpower and I decided to focus my energy (and willpower) on keeping my diet on track. Additionally, I didn't want my "normal" caloric intake to be based on that of an active lifestyle. Once I hit goal, I did start working out, but because I'm used to eating less, I have to consciously eat more when I'm trying to gain muscle. And when I take time away from the gym (like this week), I just go back to my "normal" way of eating. All this to say, if you're too tired to exercise right now, then don't. Focus on healing and getting used to your new way of eating. The exercise can come later and likely it won't hinder your progress in the meantime.

I had to sit down and rest for 15 minutes after taking a shower every day for about three weeks! :) Before getting dressed! And I had to rest after getting dressed! 

As @athenarose said, fluid goals are number one right now. Number two will be protein. Exercise will come a bit later. 

I think many get hung up on the "walk, walk, walk" advice for just after surgery - that's really to help your body get rid of the surgical gas, not for exercise. 

I try to think of food as my weight control plan, and exercise as my feel good physically and mentally plan. Exercise as weight loss tool is very much secondary to how you eat. You burn hardly any calories exercising, even if you exercise a lot, compared to your basal resting metabolic calorie burn. Building muscle helps increase the basal metabolic rate, which is super, but it can't compete with controlling intake for how it affects your weight. Exercise is awesome for many many reasons, but controlling food intake is key in weight loss.

Exercise is way overrated, I lost 1/2 of my body weight without any. I'm not saying don't do it, its essential for cardio/vascular health, but weight loss only has to do with what you put in mouth, and not a single thing beyond that. Please listen to those who have experience and not the thousands of talking heads that pervade the rest of your life. They haven't been there, and I have.

Edited by tmcgee

It took me 2 months to feel normal and not need a nap !

On 11/21/2017 at 1:03 PM, Boho Rosy said:

As @BurgundyBoy mentioned, I'm restricted from strenuous exercise and I've lost 110lbs in 7 months with very little exercise. Walking is the only exercise I have done after my cardiac arrest in October of 2015. I walk 3 times a week 15 to 30 minutes. The key is staying with the post op meal plan your nutritionist gave you. Don't get discouraged when you hit a stall. I've hit several stalls and I'm currently in one. Your energy levels will come back and you be fine. Just be patient continue to follow the post op plan that was set up for you.