You guys, thanksgiving is coming and i love stuffing.

On special occasions, I allow myself a small serving of anything I want. 

Having said that, I always plan ahead and eat fewer calories for a day or two beforehand.  And if I feel I've really overindulged, I'll eat light for a meal or two afterwards too.

That's my plan too @cinwa. What makes my tool so great is that I just can't physically eat all that I want to. I still have the want to eat everything in large quantities, but I can't. So I'll have a few bites of my mother in laws amazing giblet stuffing and cranberry sauce and I'll be happy.

My husband and I make Thanksgiving eggrolls with the left over turkey and stuffing and this makes me a bit sad, but instead of having 4 like last year, I'll probably have 1/2 one :)

Stuffing is my favorite part of Thanksgiving too! I'm going to try a recipe that uses cauliflower rice instead of bread.

Hi, my name is Jennifer, and I'm a stuffing addict. 

Stuffing is my jam. I think there are whole weeks over the past 9 months where I was losing nothing but stuffing weight. I think I'll let myself have a spoonful or two this year. It's a powerful substance, though, and probably best not to toy with it, in my case.

Oh boy, I wish I had words of wisdom...

Since this is my first thanksgiving post WLS, I personally don't think I can try any of the carb-y stuff. Not to say that it's a bad thing, by any means, to have a small portion. But I'm not strong enough yet to take one bite and walk away. I love carbs too much. Much like @Jen581791 saying she was losing stuffing weight, for me it was pizza, potatoes and couscous, lol. 

My personal strategy is to figure out what I'm having ahead of time, which I already have, and not put anything else on my plate. I absolutely love turnip...and even though it's carb-ier than other veggies (veggie? Root? Idk, lol) I'm going to have some of that. I love it, but I can control my intake of it. That and turkey :) Now I can't say for sure that I won't "over butter" that turnip however...we all have our weaknesses!

16 minutes ago, Gretta said:

Stuffing is my favorite part of Thanksgiving too! I'm going to try a recipe that uses cauliflower rice instead of bread.

Ohh, sounds interesting!! Please let me know how that turns out!!

1 hour ago, Smashlee83 said:

My husband and I make Thanksgiving eggrolls with the left over turkey and stuffing and this makes me a bit sad, but instead of having 4 like last year, I'll probably have 1/2 one :)

That sounds delightful...

My hubby makes a killer homemade turkey pot pie with our leftovers. I may have to ask him not to do it, just this once. I'm ashamed to admit how much of that I used to eat :huh: So I won't, lol

2 hours ago, cinwa said:

Having said that, I always plan ahead and eat fewer calories for a day or two beforehand.  And if I feel I've really overindulged, I'll eat light for a meal or two afterwards too.

That's a great plan, @cinwa! Good way to have some of the things you enjoy and be proactive about your weight at the same time :) 

Woohoo, not a stuffing fan!  I win!

... uh, except I'm a mashed potatoes and gravy fan, and definitely a dinner roll fan.... *gulp*

My big plan is:

1) have three bites of turkey

2) have one bite of everything else

2) regret my life choices

:) 

I pretty much eat shrimp cocktail.  After I cook a massive meal I don't feel like eating!  But usually the next day hubby makes home made tortillas and cuts the ham up finely and we have cole slaw on top of the ham.  Kinda a ham taco.  It's a treat.  

well i hosted thanksgiving so it i was too busy to follow up on this until today!! gretta, how did that cauliflower rice stuffing turn out? 

i didn't do so great, although my sister in law's stuffing was such a hit, i only got one small serving. : /   that didn't stop me from compensating with beans and rice. 

today is friend's thanksgiving at my bffs house.  i still abstain from sweets, but will have stuffing and cheese and leeks casserole (it's just cheese and leeks and it's delicious).  

my plan is to not weigh myself today and tomorrow, and then saturday i am back on the wagon.   i start school on tuesday, and i have a game plan for my meals and thermoses on the way to hold my pre-portioned, pre-packed foods. thanks all for your input. i hope you had an awesome thanksgiving!!

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:17 AM, cinwa said:

I am with you Cinwa !!  On special occasions I will not track. I also cut back a few days last week for my Thanksgiving and I am right back on the wagon now. Christmas is right around the corner so I am going to be ready .......

9 minutes ago, bellamoma said:

gretta, how did that cauliflower rice stuffing turn out?

The flavor was good but, honestly, it didn't scratch that stuffing itch. My cauliflower mashed potatoes were heavenly, though. https://www.liveeatlearn.com/fluffy-mashed-cauliflower/ (I used cauliflower rice from Costco & left out the sage).

Edited by Gretta
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:28 AM, Gretta said:

Gretta I made a cauliflower pizza crust and it was wonderful so I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised on the stuffing 

Our family having Thanksgiving today as one of us had to work yesterday, so we shifted by a day so all of us could be here. We'll eat this afternoon. Plan:  Lots of exercise before the meal, go for quality and protein over anything else. This morning/early lunch: pint of oysters poached in a cup of fish broth that had small amount of leeks and onions and garlic reduced in one tablespoon butter/olive oil. It had one dry cooked piece of bacon crumbled into it. Delicious and filling. Scads of protein, ok too much fat but has luxurious mouth feel, warm liquid. Filling and will keep me going all day until midafternoon when we eat. ^_^

Yes I did bake two more loaves of sourdough bread that I essentially can't or shouldn't eat. <_<

Was an oyster stuffing fan. Now I guess I am a Oyster-Cooked-Anyway-Except-In-Stuffing fan. 

Well, I survived Thanksgiving, even without stuffing. It was a large gathering of American expats, so everyone brought something - which meant the food table was full of like 25+ different dishes and the dessert table was about the same. I loaded up on fake vegetarian turkey that I brought for myself, plus some veggies, and had about two bites of mac and cheese and two bites of mashed potatoes. It was the most food I've eaten in one meal since surgery, for sure, and I even had a couple of little nibbles of dessert from my ever-suffering husband's plate (he's not a fan of sharing). It all went down well, no one noticed I was eating tiny portions (well, not that I could see), and I totted everything up at the end of the evening, and I got my protein in and didn't exceed 1000 calories (by guesstimation of course) even though I had a bit of wine. Woo hoo! Success. It was all tasty enough, but I wasn't like *excited* about any of the food enough to eat too much of it. It was good, I was part of the experience, and now it's over. I have no leftovers, so no "well, maybe I'll just have a few bites of this ___ before I go to bed" moments. No continued indulgence tomorrow. Thanksgiving and I came to a peaceable arrangement this year. About time.

I did pretty good, very proud of myself. I focus on turkey & gravy with some amazing green beans my MIL made. They were made with a ham shank, so there was more fat than I would normally eat, but they were incredible...worth every bite. Then a couple bites of mashed potatoes & stuffing. My kids LOVE Pillsbury crescent rolls, so I made them. I had one bite of one as my daughter begged for mine roll after she woofed hers down. I gave it to her and didn't even miss it - what a HUGE thing for me, as I was/am a carb addict. I also was asked by my brother in law to make my pecan pie, and I did....only ate a couple bites and then I was satisfied.  I managed to stay approx 820 calories, 65g protein (which is huge for me), and went over slightly on my carbs. So all and all a good day! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I definitely have a lot to be thankful ..... especially all of you! 

Well I was pretty good with a focus on protein (ate dark meat turkey), ate no stuffing and had one teaspoon of mashed potatoes.  Alas I ate two pieces of pie and had some cheese with a slice of my sourdough bread (see posting from 2 days ago). This was a calculated meal for me with the pie figured in for the day. 

But I did not eat 3 pieces of pie after seconds of everything, which I would have done in the past. Pretty remarkably different. 

5 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Well I was pretty good with a focus on protein (ate dark meat turkey), ate no stuffing and had one teaspoon of mashed potatoes.  Alas I ate two pieces of pie and had some cheese with a slice of my sourdough bread (see posting from 2 days ago). This was a calculated meal for me with the pie figured in for the day. 

But I did not eat 3 pieces of pie after seconds of everything, which I would have done in the past. Pretty remarkably different. 

Pre-op mental gymnastics: "But I have to have a piece of every dessert. It's Thanksgiving. When else am I going to eat these things?" 

Post-op more rational thought process: "I'll have a bite of the best looking two or three things. That way I'll know what they taste like, which is what I actually want."

What a difference a year makes.

I did quite well for Thanksgiving dinner. We didn’t have a traditional dinner this year as it was just my myself, my wife and in-laws. We’re going to do a turkey, a ham and all the fixings at Christmas when we have everyone here. We had a pork roast, which was delicious. I had some meat, a few carrots, about a tablespoon of potatoes w/gravy, a small celery stick with peanut butter on it and a little fruit salad. It was the biggest meal sense my surgery, but I didn’t feel stuffed or get sick. I had a small piece of coconut cream pie a couple hours later. We went Black Friday shopping so I did a lot of walking and I burned about 400 extra calories on my workout last night. I was at a new low this morning of 214.2 so I must have done okay! :D

I felt very successful about Thanksgiving eating as well.  We had two Thanksgiving dinners with each side of the family on back to back days and then a brunch.  At both dinners I had some turkey and vegetables.  I made mashed cauliflower to replace potatoes for one dinner and everyone loved it.  I put crushed up parmesan crisps on top for crunch, sneaking in some WLS snacks!  I decided ahead of time to not have any stuffing or dessert this year.  At brunch I had very small amounts of nearly everything and just one bite of a delicious scone.  I was satisfied and felt good about going in with a plan and sticking to it.  I was also very glad that I ate slowly and stopped in time so that I did not feel too full or sick, emergency papaya enzymes not needed.  I had been a little worried about Thanksgiving because it is my favorite holiday and I didn't know if I would just feel deprived or left out, but I didn't.  Actually, everyone else's loaded down plates looked a little crazy to me so I guess I have a new normal.  My mom made the stuffing at my house in the morning and it made my house smell all Thanksgiving-y while the parade was on and provided the good family get-together vibes that I always look forward to.  It helped that everyone at those gatherings knew that I've had surgery, so I didn't have to worry about that aspect at all.  I had forgotten that a few people hadn't seen me in awhile, so their surprised reactions were the cherry on top.  First major holiday post WLS...CRUSHED!

i love all of your stories of thanksgiving day! you all definitely did better than i did on both thanksgiving and friendsgiving day. i actually ate enough for my husband, who polices NO ONE on their food consumption, ever- to say "wow, are you ok?".  that was enough to snap me out of it.  there was stuffing, there was beans and rice, there was more stuffing, there was even some pie, which is not ok for me. not. ok.  

i said i wouldn't weigh myself until today (sunday) but have been back on track since saturday, and i don't want to discourage myself by weighing and seeing something i don't want to see. mental gymnastics, indeed.  for this year, my strategy has to be to forgive myself, shake it off, and get right the @#$% back on the wagon. and so i am. 

1 hour ago, bellamoma said:

for this year, my strategy has to be to forgive myself, shake it off, and get right the @#$% back on the wagon. and so i am. 

I like your strategy and appreciate you sharing @bellamoma, especially given that you're almost 2 years post op.  I'm trying to honor the stages that I'm in, but also interested and thinking about the future.   Although I was happy with how my holiday unfolded, I was also aware that this Thanksgiving might actually be easier to handle than those in the future.  

I read somewhere that one of the issues that result in less success for people with whatever eating plan they are on is that when they fall off the wagon, so to speak, they stay off for a long time instead of doing exactly what you're doing and getting right back on it again.  They let a lot of time go by in between which results in more days off their plan than on it over the long term.  So kudos to you for getting back on it so quickly!