michiganmilkman

Pre op weight loss

Hi. I was just denied my surgery cause I gained 8 lbs during my six month supervised weight loss.  I need to lose 2lbs a week for the next three months then resubmit.  What would be the best way to achive this? Im thinking of trying the low carb diet again it has worked in the past for me. I had big losses but always gain it back. Thought it wouldn't hurt to start while im working on my appeal. Thanks Rob

Low carb / high protein diet works pretty reliably, agree with you, especially if you have had big losses in the past.

Make sure you get weighed someplace the insurance company will accept like your doctor's office or the weight loss center. 

I'd always vote for a low carb diet.  That's what worked for me on my pre-op.  I lost a tad under 35lb in just under 5 months.

Ditto to what @BurgundyBoy and @cinwa said. Aim for a decent calorie deficit (a cap on your calories for the day) and try to keep your carbs really really low. Make sure you don't have a high carb day anywhere near a weigh-in day because a bump in the carbs will make your body retain water weight (which for the insurance purposes is just as bad as fat weight, unfortunately). Make sure you're tracking your intake somehow (My Fitness Pal or another app, spreadsheet, pencil and paper) so that you don't underestimate how much you're eating. 

Best of luck! I hope the motivation kicks in and helps make it easier going.

51 minutes ago, michiganmilkman said:

Hi. I was just denied my surgery cause I gained 8 lbs during my six month supervised weight loss.  I need to lose 2lbs a week for the next three months then resubmit.  What would be the best way to achive this? Im thinking of trying the low carb diet again it has worked in the past for me. I had big losses but always gain it back. Thought it wouldn't hurt to start while im working on my appeal. Thanks Rob

Great decision, Rob. You will get through this with no regrets.  I too have had great success with high protein/low carb diets. Best part about it for me was that I was never hungry and tempted to cheat.

Good luck! We are all rooting for you.

Edited by Readytobeme

A high protein, low carb diet will help prepare you for post surgery..it's basically what most of us eat.  I was told at the start of my 6 month program that that I couldn't gain weight.  I held my breath at every weigh in and even wore the same clothes so something wouldn't weigh more... like shorts vs jeans..

Another recommendation for low carb, high protein. Particularly if it's worked for you in the past - I bet many (most) of us have had the experience of losing the weight and it coming back. That part doesn't really matter anymore, since that's what the surgery is for. To help it stay off. 

Definitely track in something like My Fitness Pal. It's too easy to convince ourselves that what we are consuming is reasonable - tracking keeps us from lying to ourselves. MFP will also tell you what your calorie count should be based on your stats and how much weight you want to lose each week. So much better than trying to do the math yourself. (Just a note, though, their default macros are not low carb. You can adjust them on the site or just mentally.) 

I also would suggest high protein low carb, however with one caveat: I have never been someone who loses a lot on a low carb diet alone. For me, pre-op I would need to keep calories under 1200 to achieve weight loss even if my carb intake was low. I used the low carb/high protein diet as a tool to curb my cravings while still tracking calories to keep that aspect in check as well. 

Long story short, definitely do the high protein low carb thing, but don’t consume too many calories in the process. Find a balance and I know you will be successful!

I'm also a low carb advocate. Get your body into ketosis and you will lose. I personally used meal replacement shakes for about 7 months prior to my surgery, two a day plus a low carb evening meal. I lost over 60lb in that time. Sure it's an unsustainable way to keep weight off for the rest of your life (and not particularly pleasurable either), but you only have to get yourself to surgery. After surgery you don't need to concern yourself about the longer term problems associated with meal replacement diet maintenance. Plus your liver will thank you for it!!!

On 11/18/2017 at 11:41 AM, michiganmilkman said:

Hi Rob how are things going? Best wishes BB

4 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Hi Rob how are things going? Best wishes BB

Things are moving along slowly. I have lost a couple  pounds  this last week.  Thanks for asking Rob

11 hours ago, michiganmilkman said:

Things are moving along slowly. I have lost a couple  pounds  this last week.  Thanks for asking Rob

Hang in there, Rob. Hopefully your insurance will at least stick to the 3 month approval that you were told on the phone. Either way, you will get there.

HI. Yes im hanging in there. The weight is not coming off like I would like but I do have a loss. I go in next Thursday to my pcp for a weigh in. I was in contact with the Lindstrom appeal group. Thanks for checking with me Rob

4 minutes ago, michiganmilkman said:

HI. Yes im hanging in there. The weight is not coming off like I would like but I do have a loss. I go in next Thursday to my pcp for a weigh in. I was in contact with the Lindstrom appeal group. Thanks for checking with me Rob

Great to hear from you!

(Well, the weight did not come off for any of us the way we would have liked. ;)). 

Best wishes BB

5 minutes ago, michiganmilkman said:

That is great, Rob! I was so hoping that you had not given up. This will work out for you. I will not be a bit surprised if the appeal goes in your favor. They are not following their own rules.

2 hours ago, michiganmilkman said:

Glad to hear that!

10 hours ago, michiganmilkman said:

I was in contact with the Lindstrom appeal group.

Please keep us updated, I would like to more about how the appeal part went using these folks.

@michiganmilkman How are things going with you? I do hope that you are still hanging in there.

Im still here. I had my weigh in last thursday. Im down 6.5 lbs from my November visit. Two more to go then we will see if the insurance keeps there end of the deal.  Thanks for checking on me Rob

On 12/15/2017 at 8:37 PM, Michael_A said:

Please keep us updated, I would like to more about how the appeal part went using these folks.

I havent appealed yet. Kelly at lindstrom told me to try for three months first and see were it gets me. If they deny me again thats the time to appeal.   Ill let you know either way. Rob

@michiganmilkman Sorry for your struggles. We can all relate. How are your workouts? Drinking lots of water, workouts, proper sleep can speed up your metabolism a lot. I would also make sure you're not eating after 7 p.m. I know that I struggled more with eating at night and it can ruin the fat burn and reboot your body does at night. I would also make sure you're taking in as few simple carbs as you can. Cut back on foods such as white bread, white rice, baked goods, bananas, mangoes, raisins. Anything that contains 100% fruit juice, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, honey, etc...

Best of luck! Keep us posted.

12 hours ago, michiganmilkman said:

Im still here. I had my weigh in last thursday. Im down 6.5 lbs from my November visit. Two more to go then we will see if the insurance keeps there end of the deal.  Thanks for checking on me Rob

That is great news! I know that you will get there. May even be having surgery at the same time that I do. Hang in there, Rob.

Hello. Jyst a update for those of you who care. I went in for my January weigh in and im down 7.5 lbs from my December weight. Im pretty stoked about it. Take care  Rob

26 minutes ago, michiganmilkman said:

Hello. Jyst a update for those of you who care. I went in for my January weigh in and im down 7.5 lbs from my December weight. Im pretty stoked about it. Take care  Rob

I care! Good for you. I also struggled with pre op weight loss. 7.5 lbs is a big deal!