Kio

2 months post-op, and all is mostly well!

I can't believe it's been 2 months since surgery!  

I haven't had any complications, very little pain, very little nausea, and I'm firmly in stage 4 (final stage) of my program's diet plan.  That means I could try pretty much whatever I want to try - but in practice I'm finding that there is a pretty limited subset of good-for-me foods that are working for me right now.  Here's a quick glance at a "normal" day's diet:

Capture.PNG.602387e4c5bfddb8aca81be8cb399912.PNG

Critiques and suggestions on that would be welcome!  I'm trying to find ways to increase my protein without greatly increasing fat and carbs, but it's not easy.  I find that right now I'm living mostly on the line between Stage 3 and Stage 4, and my tolerance for most foods is governed by how slowly I eat them and how long I chew them.  Funny, that's just what the program said on the tin!  ;)  I'm usually getting somewhere between 700 and 800 calories a day, and I'm hitting the low end of my protein goal (60-80 a day) pretty consistently.  

As far as weight loss goes, I've lost:

57 lbs (pre-surgery)

17 lbs (month 1)

14 lbs (month 2)

So I'm down 88 lbs since around April of this year, currently at 267; not bad!  I think it probably puts me somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as quick losers/slow losers, and I'm content with that.  Everyone here has been such a great help - thank you all for sharing your knowledge and support, I wouldn't be able to do this without it!

I'm moving around a LOT better (with the exception of this last week, when I benched myself due to a pretty bad cold).  I'm finding walking a lot easier to do, but just as hard to get started - it turns out, I'm basically a lazy person.  ;) But I can make myself exercise when my innate laziness isn't combined with a certainty that any given activity will involve a great deal of pain!  And I do like walking once I'm out there.  (Whether that will continue after there's snow on the ground, I don't know... but I have a treadmill, so I'm set either way!)

One last thing I wanted to mention - what is it with people TALKING to me all the time now?!  Never once in the past 20 years or so have I had to worry that someone in an elevator would decide to chat with me; now I keep having to make small talk.  And the other day in the Apple Store I had to move once, and fake a phone call after that, to get away from chatty people who just came up to me and started talking.  I feel like I may have crossed some heretofore invisible boundary between "gross, stay away" and "motherly", and now everybody wants to tell me all their problems.  I'm a pretty friendly person in general, but usually I've only had to be friendly with people in settings where they kind of had to interact with me.  Now they're doing it willingly - it's really bizarre!

Just another crazy thing to get used to... like having kneecaps and collar bones, I guess... ;) 

maybe instead of being the 'horse whisperer' you're really the 'person whisperer' and unmasked after your surgery....:P

Your stats are great, don't worry about that stuff, wouldn't be comparing myself to anyone. You are eating 740 calories a day (!) and getting exercise and losing weight like a bandit. Your path will likely be as smooth as @Jen581791 @Res Ipsa or some of the others who have proven that low intake after surgery = amazing weight loss. Congrats! ;)

It looks like you are doing good.  Do eggs work for you?  Hard boiled?  Omlet?  I tend to eat the same thing until I get tired of it.  

Congrats! It sounds like you're really getting the hang of this! Your progress is great - and you'll see, the pounds actually seem like they're sort of flying off you at a certain point. Those first couple of months are the hardest, trying to figure out what works and what doesn't, and now you've got a routine. Much easier!

You have always looked approachable to me, but certainly I have also found that thinner me gets talked to and paid attention to more than heavier me, at various times in my life when I've been at either extreme. Prompter customer service, talks while waiting in line for things or sitting on transportation, etc. It's sad but true. 

My go-to protein sources include tuna and shrimp. Shrimp is nice because I can put it in any kind of awesome spicy sauce (various Indian, Thai, Mexican, etc concoctions). Tuna is just cheap and easy - I make a couple of cans with mayo and pickles and stuff and pack it in tiny containers and eat it for lunch for four days. I eat a lot of cheese and greek yogurt, too. Eggs work best in an egg drop soup for me (a la @BurgundyBoy). Honestly, your sample day doesn't look a whole lot different from my normal days - just a little lower on the protein than I do. Keep at it :) You're doing well.

You are doing great!!  Congratulations.

@Kio, you are doing fabulous!!!  As for protein, do you like tuna?  And how about Greek yogurt, or have you grown intolerant to that?  I haven't gotten a drop of protein in since my surgery and that makes me nervous, but I'm going to try today. 

Your weight-ticker at the bottom looks fantastic!  You should be so proud of all you've accomplished so far!  I can't wait to start posting losing stats again!!  (Like you, I came home from hospital with 11 extra pounds of fluid.)

glad you're up and moving. So many ppl I know don't incorporate exercise into this part of the program Bc the weight is falling off with out that!  But it's a other great tool to make longer lastin changes in our body!  (And I'm lazy too, I hate workouts until after I'm in the middle of them and the endorphins are kicking in!)

oh and that is partially funny about ppl talking to you but also upsetting that society chooses who is approachable by their size!!!  Ugh.  Here's a thought (tho I'm leaning towards the explanation that fat ppl make skinny ppl uncomfortable) BUT do you feel like you make yourself more approachable? Do you thing you look up and smile more where before you'd look down so you didn't have to see the pity or rejection on their faces?  Just a thought . 

thanks for e update and oddly enough your lunch is what I'm craving. Nothing extravagant but a string cheese pulled apart and wrapped in a piece of lean lunch meat!  It has been sounding delicious all week. I'm having that closer to Christmas and I'm going to love it for sure. 

Edited by CJireh

11 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

maybe instead of being the 'horse whisperer' you're really the 'person whisperer' and unmasked after your surgery....:P

Your stats are great, don't worry about that stuff, wouldn't be comparing myself to anyone. You are eating 740 calories a day (!) and getting exercise and losing weight like a bandit. Your path will likely be as smooth as @Jen581791 @Res Ipsa or some of the others who have proven that low intake after surgery = amazing weight loss. Congrats! ;)

LOL - the person-whisperer is the LAST thing I want to be!  I'm sort of a loner by nature - not that I don't like people! I do, but most of my hobbies tend to be sort of solitary pursuits, or things that don't lend themselves well to conversation.  That may change as I get better at the whole walking thing - before, I couldn't talk and walk at the same time!  ;) Already I can hold conversations while keeping up the pace, so that's definitely something I can do while chatting now!

10 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

It looks like you are doing good.  Do eggs work for you?  Hard boiled?  Omlet?  I tend to eat the same thing until I get tired of it.  

Thanks @Cheesehead!  Eggs work for me *sometimes*.  I've had days where a nice over-easy egg goes down very easily, and then days where it just doesn't seem to work.  Scrambled/omelette style is the least likely to work.  I've tried the Starbucks egg bites, and those seem to be fine - the consistency is very different, in a way I can't really describe.  I haven't tried hard boiled in a while - maybe I can convince Leah we need deviled eggs today, she's great at those.  :) 

I'm like you, I eat the same thing until I get bored with it - or right now, until it stops working.  I'm pretty easy to please as far as taste goes! 

6 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Congrats! It sounds like you're really getting the hang of this! Your progress is great - and you'll see, the pounds actually seem like they're sort of flying off you at a certain point. Those first couple of months are the hardest, trying to figure out what works and what doesn't, and now you've got a routine. Much easier!

You have always looked approachable to me, but certainly I have also found that thinner me gets talked to and paid attention to more than heavier me, at various times in my life when I've been at either extreme. Prompter customer service, talks while waiting in line for things or sitting on transportation, etc. It's sad but true. 

My go-to protein sources include tuna and shrimp. Shrimp is nice because I can put it in any kind of awesome spicy sauce (various Indian, Thai, Mexican, etc concoctions). Tuna is just cheap and easy - I make a couple of cans with mayo and pickles and stuff and pack it in tiny containers and eat it for lunch for four days. I eat a lot of cheese and greek yogurt, too. Eggs work best in an egg drop soup for me (a la @BurgundyBoy). Honestly, your sample day doesn't look a whole lot different from my normal days - just a little lower on the protein than I do. Keep at it :) You're doing well.

There is a guy at our usual bus stop who literally thinks I am a different person now - I think it's because he never actually looked at me when I was bigger.  I don't use the bus very often now, but there's a regular crowd of there, and I knew most of them when I was still commuting to work. For a year or so I saw this guy every day, then nothing for about a year... and when he saw me again recently, he welcomed me to the neighborhood!!!!  That I have been living in for TEN YEARS!  LOL

It is sad that weight is such a social determinant - it's certainly contributed to my tendency to keep to myself, and it's a little weird now to have people reaching out to me instead.  Not bad - just weird.  Maybe a little of my "awkward loner" vibe will rub off!

I really want to try shrimp - it's one of my favorite foods, and I'm hoping it'll be an easy one for me to eat.  I haven't done it yet because I'm not eating out much, and I'm ashamed to admit I've never made it myself.  How do you usually prepare it?  Tuna is also something I really like, but last month it led to one of the most horrible bouts of nausea I've had - the only one that really felt like nausea, and the only involuntary throwing up I've had so far.  So I'm a little scared to try it again.  Though when I do eat it, it's basically the way you do - some pickles and mayo and I'm good to go!  I used to add tomato, green pepper and baby spinach, but I feel like that would be too advanced for me right now (and probably waaaay too much food for one sitting.  I'm still only getting in about a cup of food, max, at one time.)  Cheese and greek yogurt are staples - I like my greek yogurt with about a teaspoon of apple sauce mixed in, and I've recently found some sugar free strawberry preserves I might try with it. 

I'm totally going to try the egg drop soup trick.  Thanks for reminding me!!

2 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

You are doing great!!  Congratulations.

Thanks, Res!  You'll see me in spring all skinny-minnied, I hope!

11 minutes ago, CJireh said:

@Kio, you are doing fabulous!!!  As for protein, do you like tuna?  And how about Greek yogurt, or have you grown intolerant to that?  I haven't gotten a drop of protein in since my surgery and that makes me nervous, but I'm going to try today. 

Your weight-ticker at the bottom looks fantastic!  You should be so proud of all you've accomplished so far!  I can't wait to start posting losing stats again!!  (Like you, I came home from hospital with 11 extra pounds of fluid.)

glad you're up and moving. So many ppl I know don't incorporate exercise into this part of the program Bc the weight is falling off with out that!  But it's a other great tool to make longer lastin changes in our body!  (And I'm lazy too, I hate workouts until after I'm in the middle of them and the endorphins are kicking in!)

oh and that is partially funny about ppl talking to you but also upsetting that society chooses who is approachable by their size!!!  Ugh.  Here's a thought (tho I'm leaning towards the explanation that fat ppl make skinny ppl uncomfortable) BUT do you feel like you make yourself more approachable? Do you thing you look up and smile more where before you'd look down so you didn't have to see the pity or rejection on their faces?  Just a thought . 

thanks for e update and oddly enough your lunch is what I'm craving. Nothing extravagant but a string cheese pulled apart and wrapped in a piece of lean lunch meat!  It has been sounding delicious all week. I'm having that closer to Christmas and I'm going to love it for sure. 

Hey, CJ!  How does it feel to be home again!?

I do like tuna, but I have had some issues with it, so I'm kind of avoidant right now.  Greek yogurt is totally a staple though.  You'll see!  I use whole-milk greek yogurt because I'm seriously put off by the non-fat and low-fat kinds, and it works for me in SO many ways.  Mixed with some apple sauce for breakfast, as a "dip" with my taco shells and beans, mixed in to chili like sour cream (because I'm a wuss and even mild chili is generally a bit too warm for me)... it's lovely.  =D I use Wallaby brand, which is amazingly good, but as far as I've found it's only available at whole foods.  

I don't THINK I've done anything to make myself more approachable - mostly I keep my head down while reading TT on my phone when I'm out in the world!  LOL! But it's entirely possible that the rest of me is giving off more relaxed/less awkward signals, because already I'm just so much more comfortable in my body.  

And hey - you will be zooming down your own ticker soon enough!  My IV-gain in the hospital came off in about a week, then I stalled for a day or so, and then just zoomed on down.  I've had about two weeks over the past two months where I stayed at about the same weight, so be prepared - everybody is totally right, it's not an even progression, but the trend is steadily downwards.  It feels great, I can't wait till you start to see it!!

(and now I'm off to Kohl's to buy some jeans that fit - I had to give my old ones to Goodwill!  =D)

36 minutes ago, Kio said:

I really want to try shrimp - it's one of my favorite foods, and I'm hoping it'll be an easy one for me to eat.  I haven't done it yet because I'm not eating out much, and I'm ashamed to admit I've never made it myself.  How do you usually prepare it? 

I most often eat it at restaurants, mostly because I'm a somewhat recovering vegetarian of many years, and actually preparing seafood still icks me out a bit. However, since shrimp is a powerhouse of protein and it goes down very well, I do persevere and prepare it myself sometimes. I buy raw frozen shrimp that is out of its shell, so super easy (and less like the sea insects I suspect they actually are). I just thaw them in cold water and drain, then saute them on high heat in a bit of oil. I add all kinds of things to them, but mostly spicy stuff that it sounds like you might not appreciate. Garlic and (not hot) Kashmiri red chili powder (paprika if you're very sensitive to spice), off-the-shelf Indian or Thai sauces (I usually make my own, but the bottled stuff can be quite good) - mild is available in many brands, or even just some marinara. Just saute briefly until they're opaque or else they get tough. 

I love that your neighbor welcomed you to the neighborhood <_< I swear women on the heavier side are actually literally invisible to most people. I've done this whole thin thing before, so I know what to expect, but you will be in for some interesting new experiences if you haven't. People treat you very differently. This is usually a good thing, but it can be a bit in your face sometimes.

@Kio, shrimp is super easy to cook, you'll wonder why you haven't before. I get it frozen/raw in a bag. Sometimes they are peeled, sometimes not. They are easy to peel but for your first try get the already peeled ones. I put them in a bowl of water while I'm preparing other things...that way they defrost and they cook SUPER QUICKLY so do them last. You can put a little EVOO in the pan (I used flavor infused olive oil) , I often use diced garlic with it too...and then just throw them in and cook them. They turn pink when they are ready, then flip it once and let the other side get pink and serve warm. You can make it simple and eat them that way or add spices at the end of cooking or one of my favs is lemon pepper on it (or squeeze lemon on it).  Just don't overcook them or they'll get tough. Another easy way to do it is make a shish kabob with them (which is great if you can have veggies too!) I skewer mine with mushrooms, peppers and onions, brush with EVOO and put on a grill.  Another simple way is once you cook them and plate them, put some freshly shredded Parmesan cheese on them...yum! It gives you a cheesy flavor without a cream sauce!

Edited by CJireh

I was not able to tolerate meat of any kind after my WLS and it's been 10 years but fish and shellfish have been fine.  Shrimp has been my go-to - I buy it frozen - it doesn't take long to defrost if I haven't planned ahead of time.

But I cannot handle shrimp colder than room temperature and my pouch doesn't like it hot either - warm is best.

@Kio, I'm mad at you now....I can NOT stop thinking of deviled eggs since you mentioned them... Haha! I sooo need one as soon as I can have them!

11 minutes ago, CJireh said:

@Kio, I'm mad at you now....I can NOT stop thinking of deviled eggs since you mentioned them... Haha! I sooo need one as soon as I can have them!

LOL!  Note to self - no stage 4 talk around the stage 2 newbies!!!

5 hours ago, CJireh said:

@Kio, shrimp is super easy to cook, you'll wonder why you haven't before. I get it frozen/raw in a bag. Sometimes they are peeled, sometimes not. They are easy to peel but for your first try get the already peeled ones. I put them in a bowl of water while I'm preparing other things...that way they defrost and they cook SUPER QUICKLY so do them last. You can put a little EVOO in the pan (I used flavor infused olive oil) , I often use diced garlic with it too...and then just throw them in and cook them. They turn pink when they are ready, then flip it once and let the other side get pink and serve warm. You can make it simple and eat them that way or add spices at the end of cooking or one of my favs is lemon pepper on it (or squeeze lemon on it).  Just don't overlook them or they'll get tough. Another easy way to do it is make a shish kabob with them (which is great if you can have veggies too!) I skewer mine with mushrooms, peppers and onions, brush with EVOO and put on a grill.  Another simple way is once you cook them and plate them, put some freshly shredded Parmesan cheese on them...yum! It gives you a cheesy flavor without a cream sauce!

THANK YOU!  And many thanks to @Jen581791 and @cinwa too!  Super helpful.  I'll pick some up tomorrow and give it a try for dinner!!

2 hours ago, Kio said:

LOL!  Note to self - no stage 4 talk around the stage 2 newbies!!!

LOL...I am still a stage one newbie....not anything more than clear liquids still....but at least food is sounding good. I can't the thought of a piece of lunch meat wrapped around a piece of cheese either!  I guess I AM hungry, but honestly I can wait, I am just lining up my options in my head!!! haha! Another thing and I can have that next week is creamed soup....strained but creamy....how yummy will something creamy (that isn't a protein shake) be???  I can't wait!

@Kio Glad to hear you are doing well. I recently found some of the frozen steamers with simple ingredients that have 28 grams of protein for 190 calories. I'm really enjoying them as a lunch in case you might be interested in giving that a try :)

1 hour ago, Mrs.NA said:

@Kio Glad to hear you are doing well. I recently found some of the frozen steamers with simple ingredients that have 28 grams of protein for 190 calories. I'm really enjoying them as a lunch in case you might be interested in giving that a try :)

I'm on board!

How are you doing lately?  

It's funny what we can eat before and after surgery... shrimp were always a go-to food for me, but like hard-boiled egg whites, i find it hard for me to adequately chew them up enough. My surgeon did a hiatal hernia repair too and the entrance into my stomach is now pretty darn small. Of course I still love the taste... I end up dicing the shrimp now for my fish-stock based chowders. 

If you like shrimp, buy a package of frozen cooked shrimp and eat with a little guacamole or cocktail sauce.  You can thaw a couple, not the whole bag..

20 hours ago, Kio said:

I'm on board!

How are you doing lately?  

As far as the food and weight loss goes I’m doing well. I have seemed to suddenly develop an extreme sadness where all I want to do is sit in a dark corner and cry. Hopefully that will pass. 

33 minutes ago, Mrs.NA said:

As far as the food and weight loss goes I’m doing well. I have seemed to suddenly develop an extreme sadness where all I want to do is sit in a dark corner and cry. Hopefully that will pass. 

Oh no! Hugs. Don't hesitate to get professional help for that. Don't suffer.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:32 AM, Kio said:

I do like tuna, but I have had some issues with it, so I'm kind of avoidant right now.  Greek yogurt is totally a staple though.  You'll see!  I use whole-milk greek yogurt because I'm seriously put off by the non-fat and low-fat kinds, and it works for me in SO many ways.  Mixed with some apple sauce for breakfast, as a "dip" with my taco shells and beans, mixed in to chili like sour cream (because I'm a wuss and even mild chili is generally a bit too warm for me)... it's lovely.  =D I use Wallaby brand, which is amazingly good, but as far as I've found it's only available at whole foods.  

(and now I'm off to Kohl's to buy some jeans that fit - I had to give my old ones to Goodwill!  =D)

I forgot about the tuna, but now that you mentioned it, it came back to me (as it did to you too...LOL!).  When you get the greek yogurt, you get the unflavored or plain?  I am so looking forward to adding foods.  I feel like I am missing them but I am so focused on what I am doing and doing it right!   But boy oh boy will I love eating again!  Even little things.  I am not even looking at food or recipes on line bc that would drive me crazy but I am day dreaming of food :)

glad you had to get new jeans!  how many sizes did you go down? 1 or 2 or what?  someone at GW will like it, just like I enjoyed the temporary things I got there for less than they would have cost in the store!

@Gretta thank you for the cyber hugs. As much as I’d like to take your advice I am much more likely to hesitate on professional help. I’m going through old forums looking for information on depression after surgery. Seeing a lot about regrets, but I have no surgical regrets, I just don’t want to be me right now. I love my family, and absolutely want to leave everything else. 

48 minutes ago, Mrs.NA said:

I agree with Gretta, don't let this swallow you up, get help and get beyond the sadness....you will be glad you did!

@CJireh - I get plain, whole milk greek yogurt, and then I put some stuff in it.  Usually that's a tablespoon of sugar free strawberry preserves, or a tablespoon of applesauce.  The past day or so I've sprinkled in a little sugar-free granola for some texture and fiber.  :)  

I went down many sizes!  Between April of this year and now I've gone from a size 32 to a size 22!  It was kind of stunning when I realized that!  I've also gone from a 3x in tops and dresses to a 1x.  My bra size has also changed - from like a 54 C to a 46 C!  I remind myself of stuff like this when I get a bit down because weight seems to be flowing off everywhere but my midsection.  ;) 

The daydreaming about food - I had that too!  I didn't have any real physical hunger, still don't - but I did reaaaaaalllly want something I could chew or crunch, which I think was more about habit than anything else.  I also got SERIOUSLY TIRED of sweet stuff.  I should have had more broth early on!  

The good news is, you'll be eating real food before you know it.  I think the reason this time period seemed to go so fast for me was that every day got to do something a little different, and every day I reacted to things differently.  So it wasn't like "two weeks of the same thing, followed by two weeks of the same thing, followed by..."  You'll find that the diet suggestions your program gives you will work *sometimes*, and sometimes not - so eating is a constant adventure.  By the time you get the hang of one phase of the post-op diet, it's time to start the next.  And you have great support in your husband!!  That's going to make it all a breeze.  :) 

24 minutes ago, Mrs.NA said:

@Gretta thank you for the cyber hugs. As much as I’d like to take your advice I am much more likely to hesitate on professional help. I’m going through old forums looking for information on depression after surgery. Seeing a lot about regrets, but I have no surgical regrets, I just don’t want to be me right now. I love my family, and absolutely want to leave everything else. 

Expand your search beyond the forums.  Post-surgical depression - post ANY surgery - is a real thing that many people struggle with.  It's chemical more than anything else, and it can be mitigated!  I experienced it after spinal surgery back in 2016, and went through six months of awful before the clouds lifted on their own.  I really, strongly encourage you to talk to someone about it so you don't have to suffer through this for no reason.  Some pretty simple meds can make you feel better until all the hormonal chaos your body goes through after major surgery calms down!  

I get hesitating about getting professional help with this, but that doesn't always mean talk therapy or counseling.  Sometimes it's just getting in touch with your GP and letting them know you're having post-surgical depression, and asking if they can prescribe something for you in the short term.  

I'm really sorry you're going through this - I know how unpleasant it can be.  Here's a link to a page discussing how common this can be!  

https://www.healthline.com/health/depression-after-surgery#symptoms2