Sign in to follow this  
Drake

6 Weeks Out

Had my six week weigh in this morning.

67 ibs lost since surgery. Down 20 from my 2 week check in :)

I'm happy, eating a bit more but not really much. As the weather is getting older, finding my appetite not there even more to the point I'm barely pushing anything food wise. Still trying to stay on top of it, make sure my body doesn't get into a stall because of lack of intake. Anyways, I'm stoked, and happy :)

That is great news, Drake. Thanks for keeping us updated and keep up the good work.

Congrats on your progress and on your hard work keeping track of what you're eating. Great news!

That's AWESOME! You've lost more in 6 weeks than I have in 5 months! Go you!!!

I am also 6-7 weeks out from sleeve surgey and I am a little surprised that unlike Drake, I seem to be losing lesst han 2 pounds each week. I lost most of the weight while on the pre-surgery diet I created myself (no fat, very low carbs, high protein)  from 277 to 236 the day of surgery. Last Thursday at my primary physician appointment, I weighed 228. So, 9 pounds since Sept 13 at 7 1/2 weeks. I am happy, don't get me wrong, but I am eating less than 1000 calories a day and exercising by walking for an hour each day. I thought it would be a drastic weight loss but it is slow and steady. Maybe the sleeve surgery was unnecessary?

9 minutes ago, Alioops said:

I am also 6-7 weeks out from sleeve surgey and I am a little surprised that unlike Drake, I seem to be losing lesst han 2 pounds each week. I lost most of the weight while on the pre-surgery diet I created myself (no fat, very low carbs, high protein)  from 277 to 236 the day of surgery. Last Thursday at my primary physician appointment, I weighed 228. So, 9 pounds since Sept 13 at 7 1/2 weeks. I am happy, don't get me wrong, but I am eating less than 1000 calories a day and exercising by walking for an hour each day. I thought it would be a drastic weight loss but it is slow and steady. Maybe the sleeve surgery was unnecessary?

You're comparing two very different people in two very different circumstances. You should feel great about your losses!!! First, the -40lbs pre-op shows you have the grit to do this, and second, your two pounds per week, sustained over time (maybe speeding up, maybe slowing down, maybe stalling, maybe going down in big chunks occasionally), will take you to where you want to be. Your two pounds per week, as a percentage of your bodyweight, is a good amount. It's also a larger percentage of your bodyweight, progressively, as you lose.

My example: When I was at my high weight, I lost 19 pounds the month before surgery on a low carb, low cal diet. Wow! 19 pounds! I felt great. This past month, I lost 11. I started to feel like "Oh no, my losses are slowing down," but actually, 19 pounds at my HW was -6.5% of my bodyweight, while 11 pounds at my current weight was -6.1% of my bodyweight, so no, I'm not really slowing down, just getting smaller, so losses are more apparent on my body, but less apparent on the scale.

You also don't have very far to go: if you lose two pounds per week for 6 months, that will get you to your goal weight in six months, which is fabulous!! :D It doesn't seem drastic right now because you're in the early days, but it will start to seem drastic pretty soon, when those numbers start adding up. I felt the same way when I was a month or two (or three) out from surgery because I was seeing other people losing much faster, but you truly cannot control how fast your body loses the weight. All you can do is follow your surgeon's plan to the letter, build good habits, and work on your relationship with food. If you do those things (and it sounds like you are!), you will be successful, but it will happen at whatever rate your body wants it to. It will happen, though.

Your sleeve is the tool that will not only help you lose, but help you maintain, which is the tricky part, as we all know from the dieting rollercoaster experience. I don't know how many hundreds of pounds I've lost in my life, but my new anatomy will now be with me to help me in the maintenance phase. 

I hope you will start to feel more positive about your accomplishments, and I think you will in a short time when your losses feel more apparent to you. You've lost 49 pounds! Pat yourself on the back and give yourself a big smile and thumbs up in the mirror.

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 10.06.56 AM.png

@Drake, here's one for you, in case you were feeling left out, and this is your thread, after all.

Congrats on losing a newborn calf!! :D

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 10.08.31 AM.png

@Alioops You have VERY different circumstances than @Drake. This is apples and oranges! Your chances of losing your weight and keeping it off over the long run without a sleeve or other WLS are << 1%. 

Your weight has been in the upper half of the 200s and is listed as 228. @Drake was well over 500 and he lists 472 recently. Your resting metabolic needs are less than half of his. Drake could eat enough calories to completely support 228 lbs and lose weight like a bandit, where you would not. All else being equal, you and Drake could eat enough calories to support 228 lbs and ... Drake would eventually be 228 lbs, and you would remain at 228 lbs. This is just a matter of biology and chemistry. 

Your loss is relatively proportionate to your size. You're doing fine. Tongue-in-cheek, If you want to lose weight at his rate you could either go into total starvation (terrible, terrible idea); or go back in time and start at Drake's double-yours weight. ;) My two cents is I think you are better off without starvation, and with your lower weight!

You are 60; Drake is 31. There is an age-dependent decrease in metabolic rate too, which I'm not sure how to handicap since some of the age-related decrease is thought to be a decrease in your muscle mass. That would also work in Drake's favor. 

If you want to lose a touch faster, you could walk a bit more or do an exercise that burns more calories than walking (walking is about 300 calories an hour at 100 calories per mile; biking or swimming are more, in the range of 600-900 per hour. This would make a modest but not critical difference). (There are a lot of archived posts on the Forum about upping things to get a bit more weight loss. I'm doing this myself since I'm in a stall.} But you don't need to, slow and steady is successful. If you just think about this as a matter of proportion, you should feel way better about how you are doing!

Best wishes BB

Thank you,Jen and BB.  I know its all going to work itself out in the end. Sadly, after losing all the weight so far, few people have even noticed! That's because I dress "baggy" elastic waists, and oversized tops, plus I was/am pretty big and still am even though I am losing. The Bariatric Nurse says depression is normal at this point in recovery from surgery because we have lost food as a go-to solution for feeling good. I am  also not sleeping well, getting up at 3-4am for no reason! I look forward to getting new clothes and a winter jacket but if the loss is still slow, I may have to augment with thrift shop clothes until I lose enough. Thank you BurgundyBoy and Jen58, I feel like I just got an e-hug! (and I SOOO needed one, today).

That's amazing news, Drake!  I have to pretty much eat on a schedule because, like you, I don't have much of an appetite still and could easily go all day without eating.  Are you starting to notice some little NSVs?  I'm starting to fit through some smaller spaces a little easier or not have to walk sideways to get through some spots.  If you haven't noticed any NSVs yet, I'm sure they are just around the corner.  Congratulations and keep getting those protein grams in if nothing else!

Thanks guys! 

Updated my weight it's 455 now, which puts me back over the 100 ibs lost. Was able to fit in a pair of jeans I haven't been able to fit into in over two years, which made me happy and completely my outfit for Halloween. Not sure what NSV means, so can't answer that one @kayak19. Not use to feeling things in my stomach, as I don't ever remember feeling hunger before, which I think was always cravings. I don't have cravings now, and my stomach just feels weird I eat or drink something it kinda goes away. Lately my go to has been saltines and Babybel cheese, which will be a meal for me. Chilli kinda was bleh with me, I can eat dark meat chicken in small amounts, Salmon but I don't have much taste for them. White Meat Chicken feels rough going down and I'm not to pleased waiting for it to digest.

Protein Chips by Quest weren't bad but they are sooo dry. At the moment meat and cheese seem to be the easiest meal for me with some saltines it kinda calms my stomach down. Still trying to limit my carb intake and increase my walking. Want to see if I can loose another 55 before January 1st which will put me at the 400ibs mark.

You are doing great! Keep up the hard work. just stick to the walking adding a little at a time I started walking 6 days a week back in January and could only last about 20 mins @ 2.6mph. Now I am walking 75 mins @ 3.2mph. Just stick to it. It will come along.

Nsv is non scale victory;)

2 hours ago, Drake said:

Not sure what NSV means, so can't answer that one @kayak19.

Sorry - NSV means non-scale victory...all the little things along the way that affirm progress irrespective of whether or not the scale is moving....increased stamina, fitting into clothes of different sizes or from some time ago, like your jeans.  I was excited the first time I didn't have to move the seat back in my husband's car to drive it.  There's a fun thread that is full of all kinds of NSVs.  Very inspiring!

17 hours ago, Alioops said:

Thank you,Jen and BB.  I know its all going to work itself out in the end. Sadly, after losing all the weight so far, few people have even noticed! That's because I dress "baggy" elastic waists, and oversized tops, plus I was/am pretty big and still am even though I am losing. The Bariatric Nurse says depression is normal at this point in recovery from surgery because we have lost food as a go-to solution for feeling good. I am  also not sleeping well, getting up at 3-4am for no reason! I look forward to getting new clothes and a winter jacket but if the loss is still slow, I may have to augment with thrift shop clothes until I lose enough. Thank you BurgundyBoy and Jen58, I feel like I just got an e-hug! (and I SOOO needed one, today).

(If you need a boost, get something inexpensive or from Goodwill clothes that is tight and makes you feel smaller. It will lift your spirits. ;))

(And yes, people who are polite or reticent won't say anything if they just think you might have lost some weight, and .... it will be dramatic soon enough. Just be patient...). 

Edited by BurgundyBoy
added sentence

14 hours ago, Drake said:

Thanks guys! 

Updated my weight it's 455 now, which puts me back over the 100 ibs lost. Was able to fit in a pair of jeans I haven't been able to fit into in over two years, which made me happy and completely my outfit for Halloween. Not sure what NSV means, so can't answer that one @kayak19. Not use to feeling things in my stomach, as I don't ever remember feeling hunger before, which I think was always cravings. I don't have cravings now, and my stomach just feels weird I eat or drink something it kinda goes away. Lately my go to has been saltines and Babybel cheese, which will be a meal for me. Chilli kinda was bleh with me, I can eat dark meat chicken in small amounts, Salmon but I don't have much taste for them. White Meat Chicken feels rough going down and I'm not to pleased waiting for it to digest.

Protein Chips by Quest weren't bad but they are sooo dry. At the moment meat and cheese seem to be the easiest meal for me with some saltines it kinda calms my stomach down. Still trying to limit my carb intake and increase my walking. Want to see if I can loose another 55 before January 1st which will put me at the 400ibs mark.

You're doing great, mate. Your health stats must be getting better and better every week. NOT having hunger during the honeymoon period is such a blessing. Best wishes BB

NSV's = clothing I haven't been able to wear for awhile (2 years) starting to fit, Walking faster even tho my knees are starting to hurt. // Foot pain has reduced to only when I get up in the morning. 

I don't have a scale, so I'm only weighing in when I see my doctor. Which I find a of a relief as I'm not setting myself up to be paranoid about what the scale says. I'm trying to get a new gym membership where I can spend time in a pool. I use to swim alot as a kid, and my heart has been yearning to get back in the pool. So I will try to stay active on the forums, keep people motivated but with Peak at work it's hard to find time to jump on.

Love all you guys for the amazing support 

3 minutes ago, Drake said:

NSV's = clothing I haven't been able to wear for awhile (2 years) starting to fit, Walking faster even tho my knees are starting to hurt. // Foot pain has reduced to only when I get up in the morning. 

I don't have a scale, so I'm only weighing in when I see my doctor. Which I find a of a relief as I'm not setting myself up to be paranoid about what the scale says. I'm trying to get a new gym membership where I can spend time in a pool. I use to swim alot as a kid, and my heart has been yearning to get back in the pool. So I will try to stay active on the forums, keep people motivated but with Peak at work it's hard to find time to jump on.

Love all you guys for the amazing support 

Swimming is great. 

So, I have NSVs from where I swim to share with you. FWIW the guards where I swim have been 110% behind me and, well, are part of my support. When I started swimming again about 15 months ago I could only do about 20 laps (20 x 40 yards, 800 yards a bit less than an half mile). In April, a month after my surgery, I was swimming in Austin (where you live) when visiting my sister, and I think it was there when I got to a mile in an hour. I can pretty consistently do a mile and an half now, 66 laps in my local pool, in an hour (according to a swimming calculator, 880 calories for the hour at my weight and speed). I use a mask and snorkel now as I found that when I turn my head to breathe to one side it led to tingly fingers and neck pain.