Beegoe

Muscle Mass

Does anyone have any advice for gaining muscle mass? I'm 6'6, and my doctor's weight goal for me is 250. My personal goal is 260lbs with 10lbs of new muscle. I have just been released to hit the gym. My plan is cardio out of the gate for the first 2 weeks. But after that, I wish to incorporate some weight lifting to strengthen my core, and build my arms. Should I add an extra protein shake? Are there any muscle mass mixes that I can add? HELP!! 

Sorry if this duplicated. I started having internet issues right when I went to hit the submit button.

Hi @Beegoe. First of all, let me say: good for you for prioritizing exercise! That's apparently a really important help in long term maintenance.

The received wisdom, I believe, tells us that while losing, it's pretty hard to gain muscle. Gaining muscle requires higher calorie intake that we're capable of in the beginning, and when our bodies are having a hard time just functioning, they don't prioritize muscle growth. From what I read, it looks like maintaining muscle mass while losing the fat that's surrounding it is the best place to start. Definitely upping your protein intake should help with that, as well as the weightlifting you are planning on. Actually, we all have quite a bit more muscle under there than we'd normally think, just because we had to move our heavier bodies around all the time! So maintaining that is a great goal.

I'm pretty sure someone with deeper knowledge will step in here and give you some more specifics.

I know I definitely lost some muscle mass in the first few months. I had a crazy post freaking out about it after a hiking trip where I thought I was going to die after just climbing over some logs a few times - it exhausted me, like I nearly fell flat on my face, and I was really sore the next day. It got better once my lighter weight matched my decreased muscle mass. People here were very reassuring. Now, I think I'm maintaining muscle mass by doing the exercise I am currently doing. My calories are still pretty low, so I'm not expecting muscle gains until I up my calories (when I reach goal, I suppose). 

58 minutes ago, bellamoma said:

jen gives perfect advice.  i agree 100%!

I agree, as usual Jen gives perfect advice!  :D

I concur with Jen. With my weight workouts I focus on low weight, high reps to try and tone and tighten. The 20 year old that lives in my head tries to convince me to go heavier, but I kindly remind him of my current weight loss goals and my age. :lol: Maybe when I reach my goal weight I'll work on adding a bit of muscle weight.

On 10/24/2017 at 1:00 PM, Beegoe said:

Does anyone have any advice for gaining muscle mass? I'm 6'6, and my doctor's weight goal for me is 250. My personal goal is 260lbs with 10lbs of new muscle. I have just been released to hit the gym. My plan is cardio out of the gate for the first 2 weeks. But after that, I wish to incorporate some weight lifting to strengthen my core, and build my arms. Should I add an extra protein shake? Are there any muscle mass mixes that I can add? HELP!! 

Sorry if this duplicated. I started having internet issues right when I went to hit the submit button.

Beegoe, I think your thinking is pretty valid. My surgeon asked me to start weight training at my 3 month visit, I had been doing a lot of pure cardio up to that juncture. There is some literature suggesting that an higher protein intake is helpful. Having said that... I think most of the muscle mass supplements are bogus. My usual "recovery" drink after a hard gym workout or 25+ mile bike ride is a Premier Protein drink. It's the protein, not the supplement "magic" compounds, that is important. I view the supplements industry with the same jaded eye that I see the Weight Loss Dieting Industry (e.g. a great way to relieve you of your excess cash without much benefit). 

Through the Magick of the Internet and Forum, I hope to invoke @athenarose who is exercising like a bandit but recently said she did not start going to the gym until she had gotten to her Goal weight. She may have a different opinion re: supplements and such. Ditto for @Gretta who actually teaches aerobics. 

In my surgeon's practice there is a guy who restarted his weights within a month of surgery and goes there every day. He does look like Mr. Olympics now and suggested I do targeted exercise ... I am specifically doing exercises now to buff up my arms, upper chest, and the set around my hip joints. My cycling and swimming are complements to those gym routines.

On 10/24/2017 at 1:00 PM, Beegoe said:

Hi Beegoe!  We had our surgeries through the same practice.  Congrats on your progress so far!

Before surgery I used to go to the gym and do cardio and a bunch of machines on my own, but I felt like I needed some ongoing support this time around so I just started working with a trainer once a week.  While he's not an expert on WLS training, I think working with someone in our shoes may not be as atypical as in the past.  We are focusing on building core strength as well.  Might be helpful... 

My ex-husband is an amateur bodybuilder and my current boyfriend is a former athletic trainer, plus one of my best friends is a personal trainer and from everything they've told me and I researched on my own (I've spent a lot of time reading peer reviewed studies and books by exercise physiologists), it's pretty difficult to gain muscle while losing fat (well unless you're using steroids, but that a whole 'nother can of worms). There's a reason bodybuilders go through bulking & cutting cycles. So basically, in a nutshell, you have to pick your poison. Right now, my suggestion would be to focus on losing fat (WLS is basically an extreme cutting cycle if you look at it in bodybuilder terms). So eat lean & clean. Work out, take in lots of protein (those premier protein shakes are great if you like the taste, but everyone has their personal preference), and try to maintain your muscle mass as much as possible. If you gain a little muscle along the way, then great, but if you can even just maintain your muscle mass while dropping 100 pounds, you'll be totally ahead of the game. In regards to other supplements, there are some that do work, but I wouldn't suggest you put your energy into those right now. They're not the kind of stuff you take lightly. You have to be careful about possible liver damage, stressing your heart, etc depending on which supplements you're talking about so I really wouldn't encourage you to even consider going down that road until you're already in really good physical condition.

On 11/23/2017 at 1:50 AM, Chefman77 said:

I concur with Jen. With my weight workouts I focus on low weight, high reps to try and tone and tighten. The 20 year old that lives in my head tries to convince me to go heavier, but I kindly remind him of my current weight loss goals and my age. :lol: Maybe when I reach my goal weight I'll work on adding a bit of muscle weight.

@Chefman77 I looked at your profile and was pleasantly surprised to see you are in MS. My friend’s father was the Mayor of Jackson for several years. Your city is beautiful! 

@Beegoe As always, listen to Jen. She knows her stuff. 

@NerdyLady I had my surgery in Jackson, MS, but I live in Missouri down by Branson.