NickL99

AUS: What was your out of pocket expense?

I only have $5k saved and thinking i may not find a doc who can do it for that. I know they do exist, but I'm in WA and havent managed to track one down any where near that cost. What have the rest of you had to fork out for Doctor (surgery/anesthetsia).

Anyone in Perth?

Anyone go the "Cashing in super" option?

Do you have any private health insurance? My surgery was free as it was done in a public hospital. Mine was deemed a medical necessity so I skipped all the usual steps, was put straight onto the surgical list (after a bit of a detour when my husband passed away) and only waited about 5 months from listing. I do know that in Adelaide many of the private surgeon's charge $3500-4000 in gaps....that is the patient co-pay after health insurance pays their bit. Many people cash in super to pay this with the surgeon's offices often helping with the paperwork. If you go this route then make sure to withdraw enough to cover the tax penalties, as these will bite you at end of financial year if you haven't prepared for that eventuality.

I have private health. Out of pocket expense was $7000 for bypass plus hospital admissions fee of $400 I think but that will depend on your health insurance.